Archive for Sunday, December 12, 2010

Topeka zoo says hippo may have to be sent FedEx

December 12, 2010

— Officials at the Topeka Zoo say delays in getting a hippopotamus shipped to a zoo in San Francisco might mean the 5,500-pound animal will have to be shipped through Federal Express.

The 8-year-old male hippo was scheduled to begin its journey Nov. 30. But The Topeka Capital-Journal reports that the animal wasn't ready to go at the time, and the private company that was going to ship the hippo is now booked.

Tucker the hippo recently became a father. It was born and raised in Disney's Animal Kingdom and was scheduled to be transferred to the San Francisco Zoo last year, but the timing wasn't right and he was sent to Topeka.

Topeka Zoo director Brendan Wiley says his zoo doesn't have enough pool space to handle Tucker this winter.

Comments

bearded_gnome 4 years ago

---editor: I know this is off of the wire but use of "it" is confusing. is "it" Tucker or the new arrival?

"that's logistics!"

parrothead8 4 years ago

Agreed. I know this is an AP story, but couldn't the LJW at least edit for simple grammar and coherence? In 3rd grade I learned not to start a sentence with the word "But." And that whole paragraph about the hippo becoming a father and the meaning of "it"...well, it's just hard to make any sense of it. It is what it is, isn't it?

greenquarter 4 years ago

Agreed on the mixed use of pronouns in this article. But it's perfectly permissible to start sentences with "but." (See what I did there? Merry Christmas!) Yes, everyone learned that supposed rule in grade school, likely to avoid the common habit of children's starting an incomplete sentence with a conjunction. If you think about it, a comma can divide a compound sentence, which is two separate and complete thoughts joined by the conjunctions "and" or "but." Using that logic, either "and" or "but" can start a complete sentence on its own. Here's what Garner's Modern American Usage (p. 118) has to say: "It is a gross canard that beginning a sentence with 'but' is stylistically slipshod. In fact, doing so is highly desirable in any number of contexts, as many stylebooks have said (many correctly pointing out that 'but' is more effective than 'however' at the beginning of a sentence)." And no, I have nothing better to do; I edit for a living. Cheers!

TopJayhawk 4 years ago

Py "I have never used it myself." Is the use of "I" and "myself" not redundent

TopJayhawk 4 years ago

And I should have used a ? at the end. My bad.......lol

Ron Holzwarth 4 years ago

"I know this is an AP story, but couldn't the LJW at least edit for simple grammar and coherence?"

I tend to think not, without violating copyright. Seems to me that every time LJW has carried an AP story, it has never been corrected for very obvious basic mistakes.

Whitney, could you clear this up for us?

xyz 4 years ago

The LJW rarely edits their own stories and headlines for grammar, coherence and spelling, so why do you think they'd pay any attention to a wire story???

I'm flying to San Francisco next Saturday, so if Tucker is ready to go and he'll fit in my suitcase, I'll take him.

KU_cynic 4 years ago

Perhaps they could try the US Post Office.

"If it fits, it ships."

How big are those boxes?

ksriver2010 4 years ago

Fedex should transport the hippo for free - if they can use it as a commercial - "we can even transport a hippo for you!"

Tandava 4 years ago

"Oh, I want a hippopotamus for Christmas! Only a hippopotamus will do."

bearded_gnome 4 years ago

---"its journey" another wrong use of pronoun.

so, I'm thinking ... [dangerous I know] however they ship Tuck it's gonna take a little time.

um I meanwhat about ... Hippo dung?
is that for the "return to sender?" or the dead letter office?

and did anybody ask ol' Tuck? maybe he likes Topeka!

Liberty275 4 years ago

Whatever happened to the flat-rate box thing the USPS is advertising? Do they not make hippo-sized boxes?

VTHawk 4 years ago

FedEx has shipped Pandas, priceless artifacts, helicopters, and sea turtles before, so I am sure that the hippo will do fine.

kernal 4 years ago

"... but the animal wasn't ready to go at the time. " Why? Did he not get his bags packed in time?

deec 4 years ago

Couldn't decide if he wanted to go through the full body scan or take the patdown.

jonas_opines 4 years ago

They better get it in the mail and use rush delivery if they want it to get there in time for the holidays.

Flap Doodle 4 years ago

Put the hippo in a Prius, hand him a GPS & let him go.

Charlie Sabotage 4 years ago

poor daddy hippo. knocked up the female, she had a unexpected baby and he gets the boot. The zookeepers there said they had nio idea she was pregnant til the day she went into labor. Good luck Tucker hippo. I don't consider you a deadbeat hippo dad for being shipped out

gphawk89 4 years ago

Let's hope the zookeeper in San Fran is there to sign for Tucker when he arrives. I'd hate to think of Tucker experiencing a "delivery exception" three days in a row, then being held at the local Fed Ex office for a week, then eventually being sent back to Topeka as undeliverable.

KSManimal 4 years ago

(Engaging best "Chief Brody" voice....)

"You're gonna need a bigger box."

bearded_gnome 4 years ago

Very funny stuph!

Kernal I wondered the same thing, he wasn'tready to go?

was the problem ... social obligations?
a green card? or did he have a ticket to the kansas lottery?

indeed you can start a sentence with "but" when of course it has the meaning of "however" or "except."

***

just in case somebody noticed:

hope that helps!

yes, I too hope he enjoys getting to SF, and that someone is there to accept delivery!

but [see above] does this mean Tucker's gonna be parading in the Castro now? is he a lavender hippo?

brandx 4 years ago

I think what the article means is what it says. The plan is to ship him by truck. He wasn't ready to "go" at the time he was supposed to leave. He wanted to "go" before he started the trip. I've been in that spot myself - having to "go" before hitting the road for a long drive. I don't trust the hygiene of some of the restrooms along the way. Maybe the anxiety has him a little bit constipated also. He probably doesn't want to make headlines with a new meaning for the word "blowout". 5500 pounds - that contains a lot of material.

Hippopotamus means "River Horse" and they are very proud.

bearded_gnome 4 years ago

XYZ: when the airline offers you those peanuts, ask for extra for ol' Tuck!

BrandX: Well I visited Tucker today. He was kind of sleepy being stuck inside because of the 20 degree day outside. And no one to play with indoors. Mara and Vision (mom and baby) are on the other side of the enclosure where these guys live. They get the pool. He gets the hose.

---they get the pool, he gets the hose.
typical, just typical.

"blowout" =FTW. I mean! he's sorta beyond the scope of your roadside rest area!

Free Tucker!

bearded_gnome 4 years ago

Why does the Democrat clan force animals to be caged.

---Barack Hussein Obama hates Hippos?

[ref to ljworld posting history here for those who don't know]

free Tucker!