Archive for Sunday, December 12, 2010

Topeka homeowner thwarts theft by shooting at thief

December 12, 2010

— Topeka police say a homeowner fired a shot at a man trying to break into his car, but missed.

The alleged thief was taken into custody after fleeing the area and hiding about a block away from the residence.

Police say the homeowner heard a suspicious noise outside his residence around 5:30 a.m. and found an unknown man breaking into his vehicle.

The Topeka Capital-Journal reports that the homeowner fired at the man when he turned toward him.

A police spokesman says the homeowner had every right to protect his property. Officers interviewed the homeowner and released him.

Comments

MyName 3 years, 4 months ago

This is just dumb. Either he knew WTF he was doing and missed on purpose to frighten the guy off, or he didn't know what he was doing and the thief got lucky (in that he didn't get killed) and now has a chance to reevaluate the way his life is going.

I mean, we don't even know anything about "the man" with the gun. He could be 70 and not wanting to have the guy get close enough to him to cause trouble, or he could be some nervous kid. Or anywhere in between.

The only thing that matters is the thief is in jail and no one got killed.

edjayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

What would have happened if the thief had a gun? I rest my case.

thuja 3 years, 4 months ago

America: if you don't like it, shoot at it with your gun.

beatrice 3 years, 4 months ago

Yes, it is good that the crime was stopped and the homeowner suffered no injury. Absolutely. It is also good that the homeowner caused no injury to any of his neighbors as well.

RobertMarble 3 years, 4 months ago

Good to see another citizen taking a stand & helping to curtail crime. Too bad the dirtbag was neither shot nor captured by law enforcement personnel. There is very little information presented in the story as written so it's far too early to debate the legality of the shooting, although it's good the crime was stopped & the homeowner suffered no injury.

Kirk Larson 3 years, 4 months ago

Good thing it wasn't another "Man shoots son mistaking him for burglar" story.

beeshlii 3 years, 4 months ago

shoot first, than ask question later?

TopJayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

A few yrs ago someone shot and killed a guy for breaking into his car.
the DA put him on trial, I think it was an election yr. Shortest trial in history. The guy walked in less than a day. No jury will convict you here for that.

TopJayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Why do you think so many cirminals now go to Lawrence? You guys are soft. I am a touch embarrassed that he missed however.

kjellifritt 3 years, 4 months ago

Good! If that criminal would have come towards me, I would have shot too. It's dumb enough to break into a car and even dumber to go towards the owner. How about just trying to get away? Criminals aren't too smart!

Good for the owner for standing up for themselves!

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. What if, somehow, some way. You can all "what if" until the cows come home, it won't change what happened. One shot fired. No one hurt. Break in interrupted, crime prevented. Suspect captured. Home owner released, having committed no crime.

Only a few "happy endings" better than this . . .

mom_of_three 3 years, 4 months ago

If it was a relatively new car, then the owner could have pushed the panic button on the door opener and made lots of noice That would have scared him off. If the car didn't have a panic alarm or noise on it, then was the car entirely worth it.
I understand protecting ones property, but I am not sure firing a gun to protect it was worth it if an innocent bystander was injured. Maybe the owner could have just shot out a tire or two and then the car wouldn't have went anywhere.

independant1 3 years, 4 months ago

The police released him? For what.

Should've said, I fired a warning shot.

macon47 3 years, 4 months ago

nothing says dead better than a thug thief doper with a slug in his forehead

tell him to call the aclu and check on his rights

Agnostick 3 years, 4 months ago

Maybe I should rephrase my question...

What about the other guy, holding a gun to the head of the would-be intruder... forcing him to break into the car?

Did he get away?

optimist 3 years, 4 months ago

I can't be sure what I would have done in this same situation. I'm not sure I would shoot someone over property but I certainly believe I have the right to use whatever force necessary to protect my property. I won't question this property owners response. I wasn't there and unless you were you can't really know what you would have done.

I have an alternate scenario for you to consider. Instead of confronting the criminal the homeowner calls the police. The police arrive as the criminal starts the car and he flees. The police pursue the thief at high speed. Not sure if this is just a car thief or a murderer who just killed an innocent person and stole the car in an effort to get away. During the pursuit the criminal in his efforts to get away collides with another vehicle carrying an entire family on their way home from grandma's house.

In all likelihood many of us would say he ought to be shot, or in this case shot at.

edjayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Isn't your yard considered your property as well? Makes no sense especially if crime is taking place in the yard. In this case the driveway.

Dixie Jones 3 years, 4 months ago

When my car was broken into last week on wannamaker theives stole my purse ( i know stupid to leave it in there but it was totally covered they were watching me in the parking lot) the officer told me now that they have my address among other items of mine that if they were to show up at my house i could take matters into my own hands as long as they were in the house , but i was not to fire at them if they were in the yard...i guess i could hit em in the head and drag em back inot the house .....lol

sissezz 3 years, 4 months ago

whose to say if u were in that same situation what you would do..... if it was me.... yeah id shoot, but WELL above his head.... just to scare him off. And id make sure not to aim at anything else. I kno i kno the bullets gotta go somewhere. But im talkin shotgun here and the pellets would just scatter... right? LOL Im sorry but i work WAAAAAY to hard to have some punks take my things

Agnostick 3 years, 4 months ago

So what happened to the other guy with the gun? Did he get away?

Eybea Opiner 3 years, 4 months ago

"Time we start putting more bullets into more thieves." Or more judges.

distant_voice 3 years, 4 months ago

Thieves have been having it WAY too easy in America over the past 30 years. Six years ago, a guy broke into my car, causing over $1000 damage (which I had to pay $500 for the deductible). The police caught him, he admitted to the robbery, admitted it was to get drug money, and the judge gave him one year probation. Time we start putting more bullets into more thieves.

beaujackson 3 years, 4 months ago

He wouldn't have missed if he used a 12 ga. w/# 4 buckshot.

macon47 3 years, 4 months ago

the only good drug dealer robber is a dead one

Centerville 3 years, 4 months ago

'bitter clinger' = 1. lowlife = 0. All in all, a good evening in that neighborhood.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 4 months ago

It makes perfect sense; uber-liberals protect themselves the way they'd like to see national security protected. Nothing new.

lorielasseterfoltz 3 years, 4 months ago

Our Daughters house was broken into, in Topeka 5 years ago. It just went to trail last month. I wish she had shot him. I realize this was a vehicle break in but for anyone that makes a car payment and a insurance payment every month it is a correct response. We lived in Lawrence for 20 years and learned nothing outside my house was safe ;)

Flap Doodle 3 years, 4 months ago

I see the "blame the victim" crowd was up early this morning.

KSManimal 3 years, 4 months ago

That thief will never target that home again.

Just think - if the bearing of arms were not simply allowed, but in fact required,.....so the dirtbags knew that every person, every house, was armed...there would be very little crime of this sort.

thuja 3 years, 4 months ago

Here is a man whose car owns him, not the other way around.

LogicMan 3 years, 4 months ago

"A police spokesman says the homeowner had every right to protect his property."

Yes, but not to use excessive force in a semi-public or public area. Now if the guy threatened him with a gun, too bad he missed.