Archive for Friday, August 20, 2010

De Soto boy found in attic recovering at hospital

August 20, 2010

— A 6-year-old boy found confined to his mother’s attic earlier this week is doing well.

The boy, who relatives describe as always having been on the small side, has Down syndrome and weighed only 20 pounds Tuesday when he was taken to Children’s Mercy Hospital for emergency treatment. Deputies found the boy covered in feces in the cramped attic of Perez’s duplex Tuesday night.

Sarah Swain, the lawyer for the boy’s grandparents, reports that the family is hopeful the boy will be released from the hospital as early as next week.

Where the boy will go once he is released is still not clear. The boy’s grandparents — Rachel Perez’s father and stepmother — plan to petition the state for custody of Perez’s three children, their attorney said. Perez’s daughters, ages 8 and 5, were with the grandparents until Thursday, when they were taken into state custody. Swain said the grandparents will meet with SRS officials Monday morning to begin custody hearings.

The girls are in good health, Swain said.

How long the 6-year-old had been confined in the attic is still uncertain. A friend of Perez’s who declined to give her name said she hadn’t seen the boy in several weeks.

“Every time I would see Rachel with the girls and ask about [the boy] she just said he was with other relatives or friends, I had no idea,” said the friend.

The grandparents said they had been concerned about the boy for some time and had placed “several” calls to SRS and the Johnson County Sheriff’s Department asking that something be done.

“The grandparents are just very upset at this time that it took this long for law enforcement to do something and that the situation had to become this severe,” Swain said.

Comments

greenworld 3 years, 8 months ago

SRS will only check on a child if they receive 25 phone calls and the child hasnt been seen for 1 yr. Its just to time consuming and they only get paid min wage for my GOD. Lord be it before its there job to do anything that involves a child being locked up in an attic. SRS will probably put the kid back with the mother as "its the right thing to do." If they break up the family or take them away from the brothers or sisters it could be far detrimental than leaving him locked in the attic. Yeah right!!!!!! WTF...What a joke!!!! This Mother doesnt deserve her kids at all obviously and really needs to be locked up for quite awhile. Anybody ever figure out what her warrants were for I wonder??

supernik 3 years, 8 months ago

why isnt it attempted murder? if she said he wasnt there, and told people he was elsewhere, and had him in that hot attic during the hottest time of summer, why is this not attempted murder?

kernal 3 years, 8 months ago

It's possible he's no longer in the area or unemployed with no viable source of income. There are a myriad of reasons why he may not be suitable to take custody.

tears4myangel 3 years, 8 months ago

Well he should be held responsible also UNLESS his parental rights have been revoked. He should be in jail also.... better yet both parents should be treated as the boy was...the saying treat others how you would want others to treat you... well lets see if they like being treated like they treated their own flesh and blood....and for what because he was a gift to the world and had lots of love to pass out???

kimk 3 years, 8 months ago

The dad of the youngest daughter got deported however, the dad of Giovanni and the oldest daughter lives in johnson county.

scopi_guy 3 years, 8 months ago

Very thankful to hear he's doing better.

Amy Heeter 3 years, 8 months ago

"Because what I hear the children taken from families are usually not in that much danger whereas the family could use counceling or perhaps monitoring to understand their behavior, while the children who are seriously abused are being passed up"

Seriously passed up would include this child, the two sisters in Wichita being starved by the step mother even though the school called multiple times, the 2 year old encased in concrete in Kansas City whose father called numerous times to report. Just to name a few.

Fixed_Asset 3 years, 8 months ago

We all have different experiences, sunshine. I agree our legislature needs to fix the funding problem and ASAP. Perhaps my statement was too general. It has been my experience, of which I have many years, that those who complain about CPS "targeting" innocent people are the same folks who have been investigated and are more than likely guilty in some form of abusing or neglecting their children.

So, tell me, what is your criteria for "not in that much danger"???????

Fixed_Asset 3 years, 8 months ago

The law gives SRS the authority to investigate reports of child abuse and neglect. If there is refusal to enter the home, a court order is very easily obtained. While law enforcement is normally required to have a warrant to enter a private home, an exigent circumstance, such as an endangered child, would allow them to enter without a warrant.

It has been my experience that those who believe CPS is a joke are the same ones abusing or neglecting their children.

meggers 3 years, 8 months ago

Thanks, Roe. I stand corrected. I still think Down's is the more commonly used term, but as you point out, both are correct.

TrooGrit 3 years, 8 months ago

It's so unbelievable to me that the State of Kansas SRS dropped the ball on this so badly! There is your efficiency of government that many of the libs who post here want more of. If, in their eyes, SRS were only bigger something like this wouldn't have happened, they reason.

I'm very happy to here that the boy is doing fine, and may in fact get to leave the hospital perhaps as early as the middle of the upcoming week. I'm also pleased that the grandparents are petitioning the courts to obtain custody of the two girls and the boy.

I understand that this sorry excuse of a mother is 5 months pregnant. WTH? I'm kinda thinkin' this might be an argument for forced sterilization, if every there was one!

tange 3 years, 8 months ago

A tragedy, in the purest, broadest sense of the word. At whom can I point fingers... and, more importantly, whom can I kick?

Amy Heeter 3 years, 8 months ago

SRS can only enter a home if there is cause. If the truth be known any parent can refuse entrance if no court order is present. Another truth is that no person is required to allow police to enter without a warrant either. Judges just don't sign warrants on anonymous calls or even calls from relatives. SRS can go to schools to speak to siblings, but since school just began again it is unlikely they would have had access to the girls before the last week or so. Then of course chances are that the siblings may have been told to stay quiet too. Having said that I do think child protective services is a joke. If they spent more time investigating real abuse cases like this one and less time justifying their jobs by setting up case plans with people they have targeted; the children the profess to protect would be better served

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 8 months ago

This lady (the unfit mother) must be mentally ill, however 90 days in solitary without air cond. and only bread and water for meals would be fitting ... for starters. Then a conviction of one count each of child endangerment, child neglect, and attempted murder.

MyDogHoudini 3 years, 8 months ago

Where's the dad? Sure, we can all say that the mother is a horrible person. But what about the dad? Did he abandon all three of the children and leave the mom to deal with everything? Maybe he should be her cell mate.

Kat Christian 3 years, 8 months ago

I had a sister born DS - she passed away 2 years ago at the age of 51. I couldn't imagine how anyone would treating a child with DS so cruelly. She was the light in our family and I miss her so. I imagine if this child was kept in the attic that this woman was most likely cruel ot him in other ways. I pray he gets help and lots of love and compasion so he can grow up to be self sufficient and without emotional problems. I hope as she sits in her cell tonight she thinks of the horror she put that little boy through.

Munsoned 3 years, 8 months ago

20 pounds. I can't even wrap my head around it. Prayers to him and his grandparents.

Kelly Johnson 3 years, 8 months ago

The other thing I keep thinking about is how traumatic it must have been for those girls if they knew he was up there but couldn't do anything to help him. I hope they didn't know. This "egg donor" is pure EVIL and deserves harsh punishment. There are really some crimes that I believe should be punished by having the perpetrator go through what they put the victim through, and this is one of them.

cheeseburger 3 years, 8 months ago

Sorry meg - LJW had this one right. It is Down Syndrome.

meggers 3 years, 8 months ago

LJW, its Down's Syndrome, not Down syndrome.

This is just unspeakably horrid. She had to have known that he would likely die. Why make him suffer like that, instead of just killing him and being done with it? I'm glad she didn't, of course, but the torture she put that child through defies any reason whatsoever. As she's strolling about with her daughters and hanging out in the A/C, her child is slowly starving to death in an unbearably hot attic. I'll bet he could smell whatever food they were cooking, too, hoping his mommy would let him come out and have some. Until he got too weak to care, anymore. Sick stuff- I hope there's a special place in hell for people like her.

weeslicket 3 years, 8 months ago

unbelievable. well, wish it were unbelievable.

tomcats 3 years, 8 months ago

Why didn't the grandparents go over to this house and demand to know were this little boy was? I think everyone dropped the ball on this poor boy.

blue73harley 3 years, 8 months ago

g_rock is absolutely right about the grandparents. Kudos to them for their follow-up. The outcome could have been tragic if not for them.

5thgeneration 3 years, 8 months ago

Kansas SRS is a TOTAL FAILURE. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Would you believe that my ex-wife is still getting child support for her daughter (not my biological) who I've been raising exclusively for the last 5 years? Nothing about them surprises me at this point.

g_rock 3 years, 8 months ago

Congratulations to the grandparents for stepping up and doing the right thing. A lot of times family members shelter and make excuses for wrongdoing. This is an example of making the right difference in the lives of children and grandchildren. Thank you for taking action and serving as an example of what is right.

Charlie Sabotage 3 years, 8 months ago

This is HORRIBLE. With how hot it's been and to lock this child in the attic? Let alone the grandparents having concerns and calling them in, just to have nothing done? FAIL Kansas SRS. I once knew a person who had some problems and we had to call officials on them but even with proof that the child was in danger the police did nothing. They basically told us that the child had to be near death in the hospital for them to take the child. Luckily, the child is now safe for the caregiver is doing much better now but it's sad the extreme conditions a child has to be put in to have some action taken.

kernal 3 years, 8 months ago

So, the system did let him down. Unforgivable. Will be interesting to see what SRS has to say.