Wichita Authorities in Wichita blame the hot weather for a chemical spill involving a substance used to make fake fingernails.
Hazmat crews responded at mid-morning on Monday after the chemical, called methyl methacrylate, expanded in the heat and burst out of a barrel.
KSNW-TV reports one firefighter was injured when he slipped and fell into the chemical after being detoxed. Sedgwick County health officials were monitoring the air quality, and nearby businesses were told to shut off their air conditioning and keep windows closed.
About 100 gallons of the chemical spilled.