Archive for Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Liver transplant 1st of its kind in Kan.

April 21, 2010


— Richard Gross was sure that his defective liver would kill him by Christmas.

He’d lost 45 pounds, he was weak, and he could no longer count on his once-strong runner’s legs to support him.

Today, three weeks after a liver transplant, the Wichitan hopes for a long, healthy life.

So does the man who got Gross’ liver in the state’s first “domino” transplant.

Domino organ transplants are rare. Fewer than 70 domino liver transplants have been done in the United States, according to the University of Kansas Hospital in Kansas City, where Gross’ transplant took place.

Gross, a retired homebuilder, has familial amyloidosis, a rare, progressive disease in which his liver doesn’t process a protein correctly, instead depositing it in organs. The protein accumulation causes nerve damage, organ failure and, eventually, death. It can’t be cured; the only treatment is a transplant.

He had no idea anything was wrong until about two years ago. This past summer, unable to find a reason for his digestive problems and leg pain, he went to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota.

Gross, 66, was added to the transplant list. He and his wife, Tamara, began a life of waiting, always ready to be on their way within 30 minutes. But the call never came.

In December, Tamara Gross heard about a friend of a friend who’d had a liver transplant at the KU Hospital. The Grosses hadn’t known liver transplants were done there and made contact.

He was approved for the transplant list on March 16.

Gross had been a domino transplant candidate at the Mayo Clinic, and the doctors in Kansas City got excited when he told them that, he said.

Other than its defect, Gross’ liver was healthy. In someone else, it could work for 30 or 40 years before signs of amyloidosis appeared.

When the Grosses’ got their call on March 26, so did Angel Morillo of Kansas City, a 56-year-old with liver cancer.

Surgery began around 3 a.m. March 27. Gross was prepped to receive the liver of a deceased patient. As Gross’ liver was being removed, Morillo was in surgery to make sure his cancer hadn’t spread.

About 11 hours later, Gross and Morillo had new livers.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.