Archive for Thursday, November 12, 2009

Missing tax refund? Check with the IRS

November 12, 2009


More than 700 Kansans have tax refunds that have been returned to the Internal Revenue Service because the checks were undeliverable.

The 708 checks are worth more than $592,000.

Thirty-four of those checks were to people in Lawrence.

The best way to check the status of a refund is by visiting the IRS Web site at or call the IRS refund hot line at 1-800-829-1954.

Refund checks that go back to the IRS usually do so because a taxpayer moves, or an address is incomplete. Sometimes a person who changes his or her name after marriage or divorce can have problems with mailed refunds.

In most cases, a taxpayer only has to provide a current address to get the refund.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.