Archive for Friday, June 19, 2009

Anti-abortion groups report death threats

June 19, 2009

— Three Wichita-based anti-abortion groups say they have received death threats in response to last month’s killing of abortion provider George Tiller.

For years, Operation Rescue has received threats, but the number increased dramatically after Tiller’s killing, the group’s president, Troy Newman, said Thursday.

Some of the threats have been aimed at anti-abortion activities planned in Wichita this weekend, Newman said.

Soon after Tiller’s shooting, police contacted four to five local anti-abortion groups, asking them to contact authorities if they received threats, said Wichita police Capt. Brent Allred.

For this weekend’s events, off-duty officers have been hired to help provide security, Newman said. It wasn’t clear Thursday whether on-duty officers will be deployed.

Comments

WHY 5 years, 6 months ago

The threats are all talk. Liberals don't kill people because they have a different view point. That would be the Conservatives.

SettingTheRecordStraight 5 years, 6 months ago

So, sin, should we take your sarcasm to mean you either support or are altogether indifferent to the death threats made against pro-life activists?

dandelion 5 years, 6 months ago

They're just playing the victim card. Why are they meeting in Wichita? They managed to shut Tiller down. Are they meeting to celebrate their victory?

SettingTheRecordStraight 5 years, 6 months ago

WHY, dandelion and porch,

You obviously haven't read a history of labor unions in the United States.

feeble 5 years, 6 months ago

STRS, you mean like the 1874 Tompkins Square Riot, the 21 June 1877 hanging of ten Molly Maguires, the Battle of the Viaduct in 1877, the 1886 Bay View Tragedy, the Louisiana Militia massacre of 1887, the 1892 Homestead Strike, the 1894 Pullman Strike, the 1897 Lattimer Massacre, the 1902 Anthracite Coal Strike, the 1904 Dunnville Massacre, The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire, the 1913 United Fruit Company strike, the 1914 Ludlow Massacre, the 1917 Bisbee Deportation, the Battle of Matewan or the 1922 Herrin Massacre?

Last time I checked, those were all instances where labor was slaughtered without mercy at the behest of mine owners, factory owners, local police or other captains of industry.

beatrice 5 years, 6 months ago

Now, what was that charming line used after Tiller's murder .... oh, yes: Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Guess that sword of ignorance cuts both ways.

SettingTheRecordStraight 5 years, 6 months ago

My copy of "Stranglehold" isn't handy, so I'm unable to cite its mulitiple, well-documented examples of union violence. However, this link provides a brief expose of union violence. http://www.unionfacts.com/articles/crimeViolence.cfm. It reveals just a smattering of the union violence, intimidation and thuggery that Americans have experienced since 1985. Of course, unions have a decades-long history of violent intimidation.

Regardless, my point remains. The poltical far left produces as many violent nutjobs as the political far right.

sinverguenza 5 years, 6 months ago

STRS -

You shouldn't take it as sarcasm. Assumptions, assumptions.

MeAndFannieLou 5 years, 6 months ago

Hey, they've declared war, what do they expect?

jimmyjms 5 years, 6 months ago

"The poltical far left produces as many violent nutjobs as the political far right."

Empirical evidence?

But hey, Operation Rescue "shouldn't be surprised by this", right? I mean, "didn't they see this coming?"

Cait McKnelly 5 years, 6 months ago

Death threats against who? Troy Newman? Randall Terry? These are the same people that have indulged in hate speech against specific doctors for years, encouraging their followers to actively wish for the deaths of physicians and inciting murder. So now they want to attribute their tactics to radical pro-choice leftists? Somehow I seriously doubt the reality of these claims but even if they are real, three words come to mind. "Pot", "Kettle" and "Black" (and no the "pot calling the kettle black " is NOT a racist saying. It actually originated from "Don Quixote" so if you want to get jiggy with it blame Cervantes).

grimpeur 5 years, 6 months ago

Randall Terry and Troy Newman probably expect and, by their own twisted and murderous logic, find reasonable any threats on their lives after the acts of their follower Scott Roeder. They know this, the public know this, the police know this: there are crazy people out there, and since it has been demonstrated that there are people crazy enough to perform acts of terrorism, including harassment, intimidation, and murder of medical doctors, staff, and patients at the bidding, encouragement, and invitation of groups like Operation Rescue, ACLA and Kansans for Life and their leaders, it's probably true that there are also people crazy enough to be convinced that these crimes are, in turn, sufficient cause for more vigilantism.

It's too bad that Terry and Newman have chosen this path. For them to feign outrage or even shock that anyone would stoop to their level would be pretty sad and cowardly at this point. Same for the rest of the extremist anti-choice leaders. What's the big surprise?

Music_Girl 5 years, 6 months ago

Yes cause death answered with death is totally the way to get something accomplished....

sinverguenza 5 years, 6 months ago

That's what everyone was saying when Tiller was shot, Music Girl. But I assume you're just scoffing at the ridiculousness of the current threats, of course.

KansasVoter 5 years, 6 months ago

Erin Parmelee 5 years, 6 months ago

Music_Girl (Anonymous) says…

Um, apparently that is what the pro-life activists who were calling for Tillers death for years thought......

Satirical 5 years, 6 months ago

Just like the liberals claim harsh conservative rhetoric is to blame for Tiller's death, the harsh liberal rhetoric calling pro-choicers "terrorists" is likely to blame for these threats : )

I love how the liberals justify, and excuse criminal threats by claiming this group is reaping what it sows.

Lesson to be learned; if you politically or morally disagree with liberal and their ideology, they will defend criminal threats against you!!

sinverguenza 5 years, 6 months ago

Satirical -

Perhaps you didn't read the entirety of the comment section, but "liberals" aren't justifying the threats. There happen to be a few posters who seem to not be moved with concern by OR being threatened, but that in no way justifies your ridiculous generalization.

You just see what you want to see, and unfortunately, it paints some of us in a bad light but that doesn't make it true.

Satirical 5 years, 6 months ago

Sinverguenza... “Perhaps you didn't read the entirety of the comment section, but 'iberals' aren't justifying the threats.”

Perhaps you missed these comments:

“Now, what was that charming line used after Tiller's murder …. oh, yes: Live by the sword, die by the sword.” – beatrice

“Hey, they've declared war, what do they expect?” - MeAndFannieLou

“But hey, Operation Rescue ‘shouldn't be surprised by this’, right? I mean, ‘didn't they see this coming?’” – jimmyjims

“Somehow I seriously doubt the reality of these claims but even if they are real, three words come to mind. “Pot”, “Kettle” and “Black”” – cait48

jasonc_22 5 years, 6 months ago

Mr_Nancy_Boy_To_You said:

Sec'y of DHS, Janet Napoleon-tano will surely be releasing a memo to law enforcement warning of left-wing extremism any day now.

That report, along with the report on right-wing extremism, were commissioned by the Bush Administration. The report on potential left-wing extremism was released first.

But, as someone said, it isn't often in this country left-wing radicals kill people. Sure, sometimes they do awful things, but it's is rare- maybe even unheard of- for them to kill people.

Erin Parmelee 5 years, 6 months ago

Satirical: I fail to see how the quotes you included make your point. You indicated that "liberals justify, and excuse criminal threats by claiming this group is reaping what it sows". I don't, however, see justification or excuse in these quotes. If OP is being threatened, it probably is reaping what it sowed. That is an unavoidable fact. Specifically, the pot/kettle comment is on target. That's not a justification of what is happening---but it's hard to feel too sorry for an organization known to incite people into "criminal threats" complaining when it gets threatened in return.

SettingTheRecordStraight 5 years, 6 months ago

So we all agree that violence and threats of violence are abhorrent, no matter which side of the political aisle you're on.

sinverguenza 5 years, 6 months ago

Satirical -

And perhaps you missed that I said, "There happen to be a few posters who seem to not be moved with concern by OR being threatened, but that in no way justifies your ridiculous generalization."

You really think you can get away with accusing "liberals" of trying to justify criminal threats based on what bea, jimmy and fannielou posted?

My point stands. You're making a generalization to fit your hateful ideals about "liberals" and I'm telling you that generalization is wrong.

sinverguenza 5 years, 6 months ago

Yes, and amen STRS. Not to mention childish and counter-productive.

Satirical 5 years, 6 months ago

HodgePodge… “I don't, however, see justification or excuse in these quotes.”

Reaping what you sow, is when someone is getting what they justly deserve. Rather than addressing the actions of the people who are giving the death threats, they are addressing they reference the group that received the threat, and are by inference or explicitly blaming them for these threats. So, if Operation Rescue is really to blame for the threats, then by negative inference, the people giving the death threats are excused.

Also, assuming Operation Rescue “incite(d) people into criminal threats” (thanks for the evidence on that claim) do you suggest this group deserves criminal threats against it?

“...but it's hard to feel too sorry...” - HodgePodge

First, while you may not feel sorry, it is a crime, and dismissing these threats, and blaming Operation Rescue rather than the wrongdoer is implicitly saying you are indifferent to whether the person who committed these criminals are ever brought to justice. Or, in other words, as I stated earlier, if you were responsible for criminal justice, you would allow death threats against people and groups with which you politically or morally disagree. It would be different if these bloggers denounced the crime first., but they didn’t.

Second, I don’t really care about sympathy, but I do find it humorous that after Tiller was murdered, so many liberals were claiming conservatives who advocated against Tiller’s actions were morally culpable for his death. Then the liberals who were advocating against Operation Rescue, calling them terrorist, etc. somehow bear no moral culpability.

Just a little hypocritical, don’t you think?

Satirical 5 years, 6 months ago

Sinverguenza.. “You really think you can get away with accusing “liberals” of trying to justify criminal threats based on what bea, jimmy and fannielou posted?”

I think bea, jimmy and fannielou’s was justifying and excusing these death threats. Also, I don’t see too many liberals denouncing what they said, only defending their statements.

“You're making a generalization to fit your hateful ideals about “liberals” and I'm telling you that generalization is wrong.” - sin

I was not making a generalization that this applies to all liberals, just the ones who were claiming this group reaps what it sows.

pace 5 years, 6 months ago

maybe some people reacted to the nasty hate remarks made after Tiller's murder. But I think there has been very little real evidence that violence and threats against such groups have occured. I heard that some of the threats were cooked up by their own members to gain a little publicity for their deserving cause. . I doubt their veracity.

sinverguenza 5 years, 6 months ago

Sat -

In that case, OK. I just don't like being lumped in to that kind of group.

I can't speak for bea and the others, but I don't think not feeling sorry is the same as justification. It is a crime, it is being taken care of by law enforcement, and if there is proof enough to charge and convict someone of these criminal threats, I'm sure that will happen.

I wish pro-choice people wouldn't justify these threats, because it's always better to be above reproach. But "feeling sorry" is something that comes from within, and personally, my "sorry" bucket is just about empty when it comes to Randall Terry and OR.

Satirical 5 years, 6 months ago

sinverguenza...

I can totally understand not feeling sorry for this group, and I don’t think not feeling sorry is the same as justifying these death threats.

I just think it is extremely hypocritical that many of these same liberals after Tiller was murdered were stereotyping conservatives, claiming those advocating against late-term abortion are morally culpable for Tillers death, even when almost all pro-lifers were condemning the murder, but like you some also stated they didn’t feel sorry for Tillers death.

I just think hypocrisy is amusing, and several other liberals who blog reek of it.

sinverguenza 5 years, 6 months ago

Indeed, hypocrisy is amusing when it isn't absolutely infuriating. I imagine we're all guilty of it at some level. I certainly know I am, but the best you can do is try to keep it in check.

Satirical 5 years, 6 months ago

sinverguenza... "but the best you can do is try to keep it in check."

I agree, it is difficult to see one's own biases. That is one reason I come to the message boards is to see opposing viewpoints. I seriously pay attention to valid opposing argument. Although it is highly entertaining to prove others wrong.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 6 months ago

liberal wingnuts are no different then their right wing counterparts. the shining star of liberalism is abortion on demand which is the killing of an unborn human being. hmmmmm don't tell me that some whacked out liberal freak wouldn't threaten their folk man. an extremist is an extremist is an extremist, its that simple folks.

beatrice 5 years, 6 months ago

Sati, with my “sword” comment I was being sarcastic, hence the inclusion of the word “ignorance” in my original post. Proclaiming to justify violence with the "live by the sword, die by the sword" is an ignorant stand to take when talking about taking lives because somebody disagrees with your view.

Some conservatives actually used the "live by a sword" phrase on this board following Tiller’s murder, which I found repugnant, yet was surprised when virtually nobody on the right appeared bothered by it then. I still find it repugnant, hence my sarcastic re-use of the phrase now. Only now does it seem to offend those who should have been offended all along. Interesting.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 6 months ago

KansasVoter said…Hopefully the government is eavesdropping on and have agents infiltrating these anti-choice terror groups.

So Kansasvoter thinks the government should crush the free speech of his fellow americans. Well, I think people who think like this are abortion Nazis or a fools or both.

One last thing: if big brother is evesdropping on me they can kiss my old wrinkled arse. I'm against abortion, I believe in most cases its wrong and if you liberals and the government don't like that, well that's just too bad. Its a tiny minority on either side of this issue that would ever dream of violence against people, except for those abortionist who end the life of the most defenseless and innocent in the human family.

staff04 5 years, 6 months ago

Tom, are you off your meds?

Your posts these last couple of days have been far less thoughtful and much more paranoid, angry, and hysterical than usual.

Death on demand? I used to be able to tell when even you yourself didn't believe the crap you were spewing, but I must admit, you sound like you might need to talk to someone.

tunahelper 5 years, 6 months ago

leftists are pro-death (pro-choice) and make death threats. what a bunch of freakin weenies. stupid leftists.