Archive for Friday, June 12, 2009

Snyder tells crowd of K-State’s boosters he was Sebelius’ first choice to be her Lt. Gov.

June 12, 2009, 1:56 p.m. Updated June 13, 2009, 3:30 a.m.

— Kansas State coach Bill Snyder prefers football to politics.

Snyder told a crowd of football boosters in Winfield, Kan., this week that he was asked to be former Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius’ running mate in 2006. He said he seriously considered the job but eventually decided not to delve into politics.

Snyder’s comments were first reported by the Arkansas City Traveler.

On Friday, Sebelius confirmed that she talked to the popular coach about running for lieutenant governor after he first retired in 2005. But she said he was never officially offered the job.

“I talked to a variety of people about their potential interest and running for public office, and he was one of them,” Sebelius, now secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, said during a health care event in Omaha on Friday.

“He had been a good friend and supporter,” she said.

Snyder — who is in his second stint as coach with the Wildcats — said former Nebraska football coach Tom Osborne, himself a former congressman, and Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts advised him against a political run.

Snyder said his decision was sealed when Roberts told him that Sebelius would likely be offered a federal job if a Democrat won the White House in 2008, which would shift Snyder into the governor’s office.

Roberts’ office didn’t return a phone message seeking comment Friday.

Snyder made his remarks during Wednesday’s 17th annual Purple Pack Catbackers Golf Tournament and Banquet.

Sebelius chose Mark Parkinson as her running mate in June 2006, and he became governor when she was appointed to her Cabinet post earlier this year.

Comments

slappedyomomma 4 years, 10 months ago

your hound dog might actually be smarter than Sebelius as well...

beobachter 4 years, 10 months ago

Would have been a far better choice than what she stuck us with. Course my old hound dog would have been a better choice, at least smarter.

couranna1 4 years, 10 months ago

I also turned down kstate years ago thank gawd

couranna1 4 years, 10 months ago

I would also like to announce I am not running but will not rule out a possible bid to become supreme leader of Iran or somewhere I can just declare victory oh wait bush did that here alrite I'm still in

Benjamin Roberts 4 years, 10 months ago

Oh, yeah, by the way - I want to be the first to announce that I will not be seeking the Democratic Presidential nomination for 2012.

Benjamin Roberts 4 years, 10 months ago

What is the point? I turned her down, also.

couranna1 4 years, 10 months ago

ladies and gentlemen the male palin is at kstate he never won squat there won't again he simply missed the attention

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 10 months ago

She probably "talked" to lots of people she had no intentions of selecting.

RogueThrill 4 years, 10 months ago

He certainly won't be getting any political appointments after the coming season.

Miracles 4 years, 10 months ago

Old Balls as Lt. Gov. That's rich.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm going to come right out and call him a liar. Yeah, I know, I "don't know the facts", but that just sounds dumb.