Archive for Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Chinese see U.S. side of July Fourth

Chinese visitors, from left, Nancy Gao and Ally Li help set up a fireworks stand for Garrett’s Fireworks on Tuesday near Kansas Highway 10 and Franklin Road. The two are here to learn the U.S. cultural side of the fireworks business.

July 1, 2009

Fireworks can mark a home run, celebrate the new year and even bring people together from different countries.

The latter is the case for Chinese citizens Nancy Gao and Ally Li, who are visiting the U.S. side of the business that they work for in China’s Hunan province.

Eric Garrett, Eudora, is the wholesale sales manager, new product development manager and China operations manager for Garrett’s Fireworks, a 20-year-old Kansas business.

The company changed its focus from retail to wholesale soon after Garrett graduated from Kansas University in 2004.

Gao, 22, is the office manager of the China office and Li, 26, designs labels.

Garrett brought the two women to the United States to show them the culture behind the Fourth of July.

“It’s important for them to see why quality and safety are important and to see how the other side of the business works,” Garrett said. “I think once they see what people in America are buying, it will help them do a better job of creating products that consumers will want. It’s all about getting to know our culture.”

Garrett said he was surprised that the women were able to get visas for the visit, considering their reason to come here was essentially to work with explosives.

But the process, including an interview with the U.S. Consulate, went well.

“I was a little bit nervous, but they just asked us very simple questions,” Gao said.

Gao and Li said there are several celebrations in China that are punctuated with fireworks, most notably every night during the 15-day celebration of Chinese New Year.

“Fireworks are tolerated much more because they are so much a part of the culture,” Garrett said. “When a new business opens, they shoot firecrackers. Sometimes it sounds like it’s raining, but it’s just firecrackers going off in the distance.”

Despite the recession, sales of fireworks were up in most of the areas to which Garrett Fireworks is shipping. Garrett said tradition seems to override financial concerns.

“During a recession or when there are high gas prices, people tend to stay close to their home,” he said. “You'll also see people who work fireworks into their budget.”

Gao and Li will end their visit in the states Sunday, the day after witnessing the culmination of their work.

Comments

Sean Livingstone 4 years, 9 months ago

"jonas_opines (Anonymous) says…

It's always fascinating to me how many Americans who go to work in China never bother to learn proper Chinese, yet Chinese don't really bother if Americans learn Chinese or not, they're busier learning English to communicate with Americans, so they can get all the outsourced work. Most Americans don't bother to learn Chinese, and thus leave out the opportunity to correct the trade deficits, and basically blame the trade deficit on China alone. It takes two hands to clap. Before you laugh at Chinese's English, and before you laugh at how they laugh at their own English... TAKE A LOOK AT YOURSELF AND MAKE THAT CHANGE...

Sean Livingstone 4 years, 9 months ago

“Mr_Nancy_Boy_To_You (Tom Shewmon) says… Marion, stop trying to apologize. If you're not a liberal, you're a racist. That's how the left/far-left envision racists: conservatives. It is absolutely crucial for liberal Democrats to perpetuate this myth.”

There's a difference between a black calling another black a "ni...r" and a white calling a black one. It's how one is telling a racist joke in a funny way or a racist way.

Sean Livingstone 4 years, 9 months ago

"jehovah_bob (Anonymous) says… Livingstone,

How do you point fingers? Because when I point a finger I only get three pointing back at me."

I didn't point fingers.... I ask people to look at themselves before complaining about others.

"jonas_opines (Anonymous) says… It's always been my impression that the classes ended up being much less important than getting to an English speaking country for a few years. The classes are too reliant on rote memorization of random sentences."

Ever try to learn other languages? It's about the same.... many Americans who go to China, memorize random sentences too.... what do you expect?

"Mr_Nancy_Boy_To_You (Tom Shewmon) says… Marion, stop trying to apologize. If you're not a liberal, you're a racist. That's how the left/far-left envision racists: conservatives. It is absolutely crucial for liberal Democrats to perpetuate this myth."

No one expects Marion to apologize... no one accuses her for being a racist... I call that ignorant. No one has to apologize for their ignorance...

"Marion (Marion Lynn) says… Funny thing is, my original comment was in no way intended to be any kind of comment on how Chinese folks speak English and as far as I am concerned, several of the subsequent replies are prime examples of how far political correctness has gone."

Very becomes "Berry".... unless you're....

jonas_opines 4 years, 9 months ago

"The Chinese that can speak English perfectly have taken classes to learn how."

Marion Lynn 4 years, 9 months ago

Mr_Nancy_Boy_To_You (Tom Shewmon) says…

Marion writes:

Oh, no!

I have made no apology and will make none!

I have done nothing to apologise for!

Besides, apologies are a sign of weakness.

You are correct however, when you say that all non-"liberals" are considered by "liberals" to be "racist".

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 4 years, 9 months ago

"... And when Marion gets excited My little china girl says Oh baby, just you shut your mouth She says ... shhhhhh...."

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 9 months ago

Marion: "Kneejerk reactions to anything that the reader might in any kind of wild imagination, consider “racist” without even thinking or considering “racism” might not be the intent."

But Marion, we have read your postings and opinions for a long time. We are glad you recognized your own racism this time.

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 9 months ago

Satirical 4 years, 9 months ago

Curse you 'delete' button!!!

"How can you say such a thing?!?"

barrypenders 4 years, 9 months ago

I used to called a native, but now the progressive people call me indigenous. I like pop-pops too!

jehovah_bob 4 years, 9 months ago

Livingstone,

kmat 4 years, 9 months ago

Why don't you google native Chinese, livingstone? Native Chinese are the native people of China. The people in China call themselves the natives because there are Chinese in many, many countries. You say mainland. Fine. I go to China on a regular basis and speak to them daily. they refer to themselves as native.

Satirical 4 years, 9 months ago

CAclarks… “So while our money goes there, we are happily contaminating the countryside with their product.”

How can you say such a think such a thing?!? No product from China has ever hurt anybody!

Marion Lynn 4 years, 9 months ago

Kneejerk reactions to anything that the reader might in any kind of wild imagination, consider "racist" without even thinking or considering "racism" might not be the intent.

There is something wrong with that.

Sean Livingstone 4 years, 9 months ago

kmat (Anonymous) says….... "And believe me, native Chinese have plenty of bad things to say about us."

That's fine. It's not the Mainland Chinese (by the way, the terminology "native" Chinese doesn't exist... there isn't such a thing call "native" chinese..), but how Americans thought that all Chinese must be from the Mainland... that's the problem.

Stu Clark 4 years, 9 months ago

Traditional fireworks use a compound containing perchlorate as the oxidizing agent. Perchlorate is a serious pollutant in drinking water. There is a substitute, but fireworks using it cost about twice as much as fireworks from China. So while our money goes there, we are happily contaminating the countryside with their product.

kmat 4 years, 9 months ago

I can hear their thoughts as look around the tent:

“So these are the hillbillies that send their social security checks to china every July.”

For once, I agree with you!

I deal with China every day in my job. Lighten up people. Even they make fun of their English and how hard it is to pronounce many English words. We got an email yesterday from a gentleman who tends to spell out words how they sound to him when he tries to say them in English. The email was addressed to an employee of mine named Bruce. He spelled his name Blues.

Yes, Marion is a jerk, but even English speaking Chinese have a sense of humor. It's not saying anything bad about them (like they're stupid because they can't pronounce things correctly). It's just a reflection of the vast differences in our languages and how difficult it is to learn to speak English. The Chinese that can speak English perfectly have taken classes to learn how.

And believe me, native Chinese have plenty of bad things to say about us.

OeraLinda 4 years, 9 months ago

I can hear their thoughts as look around the tent:

Marion Lynn 4 years, 9 months ago

From the article:

"The company now exports its Grand Patriot and Lil’ Patriot Fireworks brands from China to retail locations in 19 states."

Marion writes:

I wonder if this qualifies as "outsourcing"?

esj2003 4 years, 9 months ago

oooo I keep posting on ljworld and am astonished by my own ignorance when it comes to screening rascist comments I post on public forums, then try to dig out of the hole by justifying it with vintage SNL clips and using the word "kiester" to lighten the tensions I've created with the whole of China. OOOOO cultural heritage and PATRIOTISMMMMMM!

Marion Lynn 4 years, 9 months ago

I get the biggest kick out of you people and your astonishing ignorance of your own cultural heritage.

"berry, berry good" is an homage to Saturday Night Live and "Baseball... been berry berry good... to me." - Garrett Morris as Chico Escuela on SNL, as spoken to "Hane" Curtin.

You people wouldn't know "racism" is it bit you on the kiester.

roflmao!

esj2003 4 years, 9 months ago

OOOOOO Look I'm Marion! I spend all day posting on ljworld.com, confusing it for a real social life. Racism is the coolest! The moon landings were shot in Vancouver and Jesus hid all the dinosaur bones in the ground like it was the best of Where's Waldo.

Sean Livingstone 4 years, 9 months ago

Oh, one more for you Marion, and I think it'll burn your heads:

"I'm Starting With The Man In The Mirror I'm Asking Him To Change His Ways And No Message Could Have Been Any Clearer If You Wanna Make The World A Better Place"

The change of Red China and other non-democratic parts of the world begins with US showing good example of itself to the rest of the world, and not imposing its own ideas on the others. With the US lingering around huge deficits, an unresolved war in Iraq, poor meddling with Middle East politics in the past.... it's hard to convince others the "true" purposes of promoting democracy around the world. MJ said it: It begins with you.

OeraLinda 4 years, 9 months ago

She is laughing at the huge markup, HA HA HA dumb Yankees!!

Sean Livingstone 4 years, 9 months ago

Marion,

Berry... hmmmmm, it's so funny that many Americans laughed at how Mainland Chinese speak English, yet not many Americans can utter one good sentence in Chinese.... (and most Chinese speak English, even with accent)... can you speak Chinese with accent? That's why there's a good saying.... when you point one finger at the others, four are pointing back at you.

jayhawkologist 4 years, 9 months ago

Wow Marion...racist much? Wake up!

Marion Lynn 4 years, 9 months ago

Fourth of July be berry, berry good to Red China.