Archive for Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Police arrest homeless man in connection with Eudora mobile home fire

A homeless man was accused of arson early Tuesday morning. Police say he set a mobile home in Eudora on fire while two people were inside.

April 14, 2009, 2:23 a.m. Updated April 14, 2009, 11:10 a.m.

Sarah Klebenstein and her neighbor Donald Haime stand outside Klebenstein’s mobile home in Eudora. The home was damaged early Tuesday by a fire, which was largely confined to the exterior of the structure.

Firefighters inspect a mobile home that was damaged in a fire early Tuesday morning.

— Police arrested a homeless man on suspicion of aggravated arson Tuesday morning after an early-morning fire that severely damaged a mobile home.

Emergency dispatchers sent firefighters and police officers to the fire in eastern Eudora at 12:45 a.m. Tuesday.

The residents of the home, Sarah Klebenstein and her 17-year-old son, both escaped unharmed. Klebenstein later entered the residence to rescue her dog.

“I saw a flickering light out in my front bedroom and I looked out my window and told my son the trailer was on fire,” she said.

Witnesses at Grandview Trailer Park near 10th and Ash streets said they saw a man running away from the scene of the fire. Klebenstein said it was her ex-boyfriend.

A Douglas County Sheriff’s Office spokesman said the suspect was located in Lawrence, near 13th and New Jersey streets, and arrested at 4:02 a.m. Tuesday.

The suspect, a 41-year-old resident of Lawrence Community Shelter, 214 W. 10th St., was booked into Douglas County Jail. He has not been formally charged in court.

Eudora Fire Chief Randy Ates estimated the structure suffered $4,000 in damage. He said most of the fire damage was outside of the structure near the front door.

“We got lucky,” he said. “These old trailers go up so fast. The police department knocked it out with extinguishers first. If they didn’t do that, we would’ve had a mess.”

The Douglas County chapter of the American Red Cross said it’s providing financial assistance to Klebenstein, who said she’s committed to repairing her home.

“That’s my main focus,” Klebenstein said. “I don’t want to stay anywhere else, I want to come home. This is our home.”

Comments

igby 5 years, 8 months ago

The dam Trains in north Lawrence, are driving me to loose sleep. Every 15 to 30 min. there's a train blowing it's horn all night long. I've never understood why in today's high tech world, why trains have to let people know that their coming even if you live 5 miles away from the tracks. Why can't they just get one of those doppler vibrating sonars that buzz the heck out of you with a virbrating sound wave that's aimed in front of the train. Has all this noise every stopped idiots from getting smashed on the tracks? No! Some people just can't be saved because their moronically doomed to hurt themselves because no one every told them to stay off the tracks and look before you cross them.

These trailer park people know everyone's business, I bet. Lol.

Remember the "son of sam" shooter in NY. The guy next doors dog kept barking and keeping him awake. Then the dog starting talking to him telling him who to kill. The poor people who live in North Lawrence, will sooner or later go nut because of these dam trains blowing all night long. Lol.

Also, the cops and fire trucks are ripping all over town all night long reminding me of just what a s*thole Lawrence, has become. Crime, wrecks-rollovers, fires, drunks everywhere and noise from all this chaos. Lawrence, is just too small of a town for all these emergency noises. It sounds like a war zone 24-7. This increase in noise due to emergency response and fire and police is a reminder that Lawrence, is a sthole of stupid people. Lol.

RoeDapple 5 years, 8 months ago

one-eye wilbur will update shortly............

triplegoddess13 5 years, 8 months ago

igby-This happened in Eudora not Lawrence so get off your tangent about crime and the noise in Lawrence.

RoeDapple 5 years, 8 months ago

igby, May I suggest that with your agitated state and lack of rest, the son of sam is probably not a good thing to obsess about..........

The trains told me to tell you.........

igby 5 years, 8 months ago

That funny, however, he did get caught in Lawrence. Do you dispute my statements regarding the noise level in Lawrence, being unacceptable for the size of the town and the continued stress the noise causes in everyone that lives here?

It's driving them to drink!

More beer! That is! Lol.

Oh! Crap, here comes anothe fricking train again! Hear it!

igby 5 years, 8 months ago

Here's a funny observation!

Lawrence, has Charles Whittman and David Berkowitz, here.

Their both good lawyers!

Lol.

RoeDapple 5 years, 8 months ago

Sorry igby, I live 15 miles out of town. Out here it's the phones. If an emergency vehicle drives past our house the phones start ringing. All the neighbors want to know what the others know about what's happening. I've lived here long enough that I even do it occasionally.

igby 5 years, 8 months ago

He will need a good lawyer to keep him out of jail for sure! Lol.

RoeDapple 5 years, 8 months ago

Or a good one to keep him there............

grammaddy 5 years, 8 months ago

whoooo whooooo Chugga chugga chugga chugga. Igby I feel for you. I have a girlfriend who lives in a trailer park in North Lawrence and the train runs right next to it. Spent the night at her house one time when we were painting my house and the fumes got to be too much. Never again, I'll take my chances on the fumes. I don't know how anyone across the bridge gets any sleep.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 8 months ago

Igby- a million years ago, when I stayed at my grandparents house, those trains used to shake the house. They lived in north Lawrence, and never even woke up.... always told me I would get used to the trains.... guess what, I never diid.... good memories, of good people. .

redmoonrising 5 years, 8 months ago

My parents lived right next to a train track. Granted, not all day traffic, most at night though and I loved that sound, slept like a baby. To this day, when I hear the distant sound of trains at night, I smile. Maybe I'm just weird though, I even like snoring because my father did and I knew he was okay. Comforting as a child.

On topic, never lived in a mobile home but I'm guessing those people were lucky because those things can go up fast, often without time for residents to get out. Thank goodness no one was hurt.

If the guy's homeless, how did he get to Eudora and back? Does he have a car he sleeps in? Maybe he asked a friend to drive him? "Hey man, can you drive me to Eudora? Goitta burn down a mobile home over there and I got no wheels." My first thought was, "Wilbur really p+++ed someone off." Maybe he did and this poor guy was trying single handedly to burn down Eudora in retaliation. Or maybe his name's Quantrill and he's got burnin' in the blood. Hope we're not headed to another war! I can read the headlines now, "The war between the cities escalates. Eudora man does a drive-by purchase in Lawrence, doesn't pay sales tax." Oh dear, I shouldn't have read the blogs yesterday. Made me frighteningly amused.

loloen 5 years, 8 months ago

I've lived right across the UP tracks in N. Lawrence for 3 years now. They sound their horns two separate times, once at 3rd street crossing and once at 7th street. The train shakes the whole house, upstairs in the kids' rooms is the worst. I used to think I would NEVER be able to sleep through the night, but after about 4 or 5 months, no problem. The only time it bugs me now is when I'm in the middle of an important conversation, or trying to watch TV and have to turn it up louder. Oh, and when I go outside to get in my car and they blast my ear and I'm not expecting it. I swear they do it on purpose just to see me jump sometimes.

sassypants 5 years, 8 months ago

I also live in N. Lawrence. If we had known 30 some years ago when we bought our house there would be so many trains we probable would not have bought it. Back then, maybe 20 or so a day. The ones I really hate are the horns at 4am. And there are usually 3 or 4 in a row. When we first bought the house my husband use to give them the "bird" all the time. Now he justs yells at them. And the horns blow at 9th street also. We live 2 blocks south of 8th.

Alia Ahmed 5 years, 8 months ago

teacher101 (Anonymous) says…

It is too bad that they built those train tracks through those neighborhoods. They should have built those train tracks outside of town and not in town. Once again, poor city management

alia says...... teacher, you are being sarcastic, right?

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 8 months ago

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 8 months ago

Speaking of trains.........Marilyn Chambers passed away.

Practicality 5 years, 8 months ago

igby,

unless you moved into North Lawrence prior to 1870, the railroad tracks were already there. Quit complaining about something that you knew full well was already noisy prior to moving in next to it.

Linda Aikins 5 years, 8 months ago

Easy: I'm confused Hard: Why are we talking trains? Difficult: Why are we continuing to talk trains? Impossible: To lick your elbow.

one-eye, where is your wonderful Eudora defense? What? No laptops in the big house?

Confrontation 5 years, 8 months ago

"The dam Trains in north Lawrence, are driving me to loose sleep"

I know that the trains can be annoying, but you should probably avoid "loose" sleep. It can really get you in trouble. The next thing you know, you have 14 kids and 13 baby mamas.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 8 months ago

speaking of sleeping and loose......Marilyn Chambers passed away.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 8 months ago

Linda Aikins 5 years, 8 months ago

Bad Homeless People Behold A Sleep Poems Behold A Sleep Mopes Behold A Peels Poems Behold A Peels Mopes A Homeless Pope Bled A Bled Hopeless Poem A Bled Hopeless Mope A Bold Peephole Mess

classclown 5 years, 8 months ago

I used to like trains until I moved to Kansas.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 8 months ago

Why is Irish so upset there was an article about trains on ljworld?

classclown 5 years, 8 months ago

Trains could very well be a part of this story. Perhaps this homeless person hopped a freight train to get to and back from Eudora. It is the number one mode of transport for the homeless transient person.

I say that makes any and all train talk relevant.

classclown 5 years, 8 months ago

Some bums are homeless. Some bums are not. Some homeless are bums. Some homeless are not.

oldcat 5 years, 8 months ago

Reminds me of the people who buy a house close to an airport, then spend all their time complaining about the noise. Like the train tracks have been there for over 100 years. And what does any of that have to do with a fire in Eudora?

lmn 5 years, 8 months ago

Glad no one was harmed and they caught the bad guy!

Cleohermirish says:

"Jonathan, do something! Make a rule that comments have to be about the article at the top of the page. All other comments will not be accepted. Put a fork in this one. It's done. And, not one comment about bad homeless people."

Hon, you really need to get over yourself! Contrary to what you may believe, the discussion forums are open to public comment. I'm tired of hypocrites like you. Remember when Cleo posted a blog about being a vegan? Then, when someone posted a rather clever comment that was on topic, she freaked out and told that someone to "go to hell." Tsk, tsk. For a 63 year old, you have a lot of maturing to do.

workinghard 5 years, 8 months ago

cheeseburger (Anonymous) says…

Way to hijack a thread, igby! I didn't see a single reference to a train in the article about the fire!

Maybe he was just trying to beat the yellow house bunch to the punch, hijacking is usually their thing.

igby 5 years, 8 months ago

There was no high-jacking done. The train, emergency sirens and fires set to murder people are in fact associated. The level of noise in Lawrence due to the trains and the stress all the added noise and it's effect on the behavior of people living here. Continued emergency sirens and train noise is stressful.

Simple people have simple minded ways.

The criminal soon became homeless and a homeless man who burned down a home. This is high-jacking. The crime was relentless attempted murder and agg-arson. He meant to kill them dead.

Oh, but now he's a homeless man in Lawrence, that makes him a hero.

The noise level in Lawrence, due to crime and drunkenness and traffic accidents makes Lawrence, a stressful place to live in. The concentration on emergency response and the trains add to a elevated noise level that is comparable to a war zone.

bigdave 5 years, 8 months ago

Not the homeless they would never do a crime!! The homeless in Lawrence are a crime!!!!! Throw them all out of town on the next TRAIN :)

geekin_topekan 5 years, 8 months ago

Hey BD,most of them are from Lawrence. Good luck running someone out of their own town.

somebodynew 5 years, 8 months ago

"Simple people have simple minded ways."

True igby and with this post in particular (and some in the past) I think you have more than proven that statement.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 8 months ago

okay, so apparently Walleyed-wilbur didn't start the fire, but now Eudora has some of them big city ways goin'!

can the family and Eudora fire bill the homeless shelter for the $4000? seems appropriate.

no, of course the bum won't be properly charged! did you think this was some other county in Kansas???

but of course, we are the podpeople in north lawrence, and we don't need any sleep! bwhahahahahahahahahahaha!

bearded_gnome 5 years, 8 months ago

Yo, Igby, bro I'm kinda worried about you man. take a chill-pill. go kill some slugs, whatever!

Tony Holladay 5 years, 8 months ago

Oneeye_wilber ..... Not sure how King Henderson runs his Castle but most places you have to be in by a certain hour. If you show up late you are locked out for the night.

I also understand this "Homeless Guy" has a had a second address. Even before his Marshmellow roasting incident. 3601 East 25th Street. Someone said that he was in jail before, for threatening to burn down a trailer. But that's just "Hear-say"

But what I'm really wondering is if he followed the train tracks back to Lawrence.

Loretta James 5 years, 8 months ago

igby

If you dont like Lawrence leave no one is forcing you to stay,

bearded_gnome 5 years, 8 months ago

walleyed-walter, check the "second address! LOL!

igby 5 years, 8 months ago

Ljames: ...did not say I did not like Lawrence. It's the noisy atmosphere. If the truth hurts your feelings you must have a guilty complex. Have you caused an emergency lately?Lol.

lionheart72661 5 years, 8 months ago

Ok maybe i need a couple more cups of coffee in the morning before i read these things !!!!! Did I miss something? What does a train have to do with this story? I'm sooooooo confused!!!!

redmoonrising 5 years, 8 months ago

Nothing, lion. But what the hay! One road leads to another and conversations follow. I'm just thinking this morning. Why don't we all move to Eudora?

Chris Ogle 5 years, 8 months ago

" What does a train have to do with this story? I'm sooooooo confused!!!!"

hey lion- sorry to confuse, but if I had to stick to the point.... doubt I would be able to say anything..... You would not want that... or would you?

bearded_gnome 5 years, 8 months ago

uh, LionH, Igby is linking the supposed increased stress of living in lawrence with a lawrence homeless dude going to Eudora and torching a trailer. that's what.

now, I think if the homeless dude just snapped, there are lots of trailerhouses here in lawrence and he wouldn't have to go out of his way!

I think investigation will find the homeless dude is not innocent in his past, and has some tie to this now displaced family.

I hope they up the charges on homeless dude, as it certainly seems premeditated.

Loretta James 5 years, 8 months ago

Igby

No I havent caused anything not that kind of person. But I did grow up in North Lawrence and you learn to tune the trains out. If my febble memory is correct you didnt write very nice things about north lawrence people.

A sand rat for life.