Archive for Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Tonganoxie boy enters guilty plea in explosives case

A former Tonganoxie student pleaded guilty to bringing an explosive device to school earlier this year.

April 8, 2009

Advertisement

A former Tonganoxie Middle School student who brought an explosive device to school in January entered a guilty plea Tuesday in Leavenworth to a felony charge of attempted criminal use of explosives, according to Leavenworth County Attorney Todd Thompson.

The boy’s disposition hearing is set for 3:30 p.m. May 6 in Leavenworth County District Court.

Thompson said the plea was taken because the boy was 12 years old, had no prior criminal history and is now being home-schooled by his parents.

While a sixth-grader at TMS in January, the boy brought the device, which Tonganoxie police described as a cardboard BB wrapper that had been packed with BBs and the powder of two M-80s. Police said it was equivalent to one-third of a stick of dynamite. According to law enforcement and school officials, the boy had no intent to cause harm when he brought the device to school.

The Leavenworth City/County Bomb Squad safely detonated the device at a nearby rock quarry.

Comments

Janet Lowther 6 years ago

Charging the kid was an heinous overreaction, one incited by the ludicrous police claim that the device was equivalent to a third of a stick of dynamite.

Come on folks, flashlight powder is not a high explosive, can't be made a high explosive and claiming a few grams of flashlight powder is equal to a significant high explosive is just stupid.

Was the device dangerous? Absolutely. Was taking it to school stupid? Yes, indeed. But criminal? No way. A guilty plea only encourages this sort of police misconduct.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.