Advertisement

Archive for Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Report: Horseplay, fireworks cited as cause of summer’s Indiana Street fire

Lawrence Police officers watch the intersection of 9th and Indiana while Lawrence firefighters battle an early morning blaze at 1005 Indiana in this July 31, 2008 file photo. Lawrence police officers and firefighters would receive a raise less than the 1.5 percent raise received in 2009 under the tentative agreement that city commissioners will consider Tuesday.

Lawrence Police officers watch the intersection of 9th and Indiana while Lawrence firefighters battle an early morning blaze at 1005 Indiana in this July 31, 2008 file photo. Lawrence police officers and firefighters would receive a raise less than the 1.5 percent raise received in 2009 under the tentative agreement that city commissioners will consider Tuesday.

October 28, 2008

Advertisement

Fireworks citations issued in house fire

A new report from Lawrence-Douglas County Fire and Medical accuses the occupants of a Lawrence home - destroyed in a July 31 fire - of fireworks violations. Enlarge video

A new report from Lawrence-Douglas County Fire and Medical accuses the occupants of a Lawrence home - destroyed in a July 31 fire - of fireworks violations.

In the report, officials say the house fire at 1005 Ind. likely started when two of the occupants, Adam Renfro and Kevin Brown, threw lit fireworks at Sam Ferando, an occupant of the home who was sleeping on an upholstered couch on the front porch.

The fireworks exploded on the couch, smoldered awhile and eventually caught the couch on fire, fire investigators said. No one was on the couch when it ignited.

The fire caused $360,000 in damage and destroyed the house, which had been converted into apartments. The cause of the fire is listed as unintentional.

Alcohol or drug use may have contributed to the fire, the investigation report said. Fire Chief Mark Bradford said numerous people had been at the house before the fire was reported around 5:15 a.m.

Renfro and Brown were cited by fire officials for two fireworks violations each. Ferando and Sam Buhler, the fourth occupant of the home, were each cited for one fireworks violation.

Under Lawrence city code, it is illegal to possess, manufacture, store, sell, use or handle certain fireworks. The men are set to appear at Nov. 19 arraignment hearings in Lawrence Municipal Court.

The four men, all Kansas University students, were inside the home at the time of the fire and escaped.

Two of the occupants were injured, including Buhler, who jumped out of a second-story window of the house, the report said. Buhler, a KU senior from Lawrence, suffered smoke inhalation and had several cuts, including to his knee and arm. He was transported to KU Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., with moderately severe injuries, the fire report said. He was not burned.

Brown was treated at Lawrence Memorial Hospital for smoke inhalation and later released. His injuries were listed as minor.

A 26-year-old firefighter, David Bova, also was treated at the LMH for non-life-threatening injuries. A report said he had moderately severe injuries and that he was using hand tools when he was injured at 9 a.m. the day of the fire.

The property owners, Crimson Properties, LLC, are looking to rebuild a similar rental home on the property.

Comments

Michael Capra 6 years, 1 month ago

the city wont let them do crap. scott at planning has no balls let it sit till planning has common sence that will never happen so put up signs that slam the planning dept till they say rebuild or let it sit

SMe 6 years, 1 month ago

I wonder who's parents are going to be paying for the "new" rental property?

zissou 6 years, 1 month ago

If idiots are going to harm/kill themselves, feel free, but don't involve the lives of others (firefighters). We've all been guilty of stupid decisions while under some influence, but this is a whole new breed of moron. I'm hope they're held responsible in some regard.

Confrontation 6 years, 1 month ago

Wow! I thought fireworks were absolutely harmless! I can't believe the city would ban them!

NObamaNOwayNOhow 6 years, 1 month ago

does anyone know the names of the officers in the picture?

Shardwurm 6 years, 1 month ago

Horseplay, alcohol, and fireworks...shocking revelation. I can't believe something went wrong.

monkeyspunk 6 years, 1 month ago

Confrontation, using your logic, anytime anyone gets hurt using any type of device/product, regardless of their own careless and blatant disregard for safety, ALL people should be required to cease use of said device/product. They were shooting an incendiary explosive at a roommate who was lying on a flammable object, which happen to be on part of a very large flammable object in which people reside. BRILLIANT! Kind of like when a person is travelling in a vehicle at 70 miles per hour after having consumed a twenty pack of Natural Light and hurtles his car across a median and strikes an oncoming van full of whatever. Ban all cars! This isn't an example as to why fireworks are dangerous (there are plenty of them), this is an example as to why stupid people shouldn't be allowed to procreate.

LooPerkinsucks 6 years, 1 month ago

This comment was removed by the site staff for violation of the usage agreement.

Buggie7 6 years, 1 month ago

What makes me roll my eyes here is the fact that the schools and people were doing everything to help these kids out when they should have taken responsibility and either themselves or their parents pay for the things that were given to them. They were scrambling around for clothing and school books supplies etc. Why should the community come together and help them when they should be coming together to help the property owners. Boo hoo oh feel sorry for me is what we heard at the time. I dont feel a bit sorry for them. There are people in Douglas County that can use the help not these idiots who want to horseplay.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.