Advertisement

Archive for Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Report: Horseplay, fireworks cited as cause of summer’s Indiana Street fire

Lawrence Police officers watch the intersection of 9th and Indiana while Lawrence firefighters battle an early morning blaze at 1005 Indiana in this July 31, 2008 file photo. Lawrence police officers and firefighters would receive a raise less than the 1.5 percent raise received in 2009 under the tentative agreement that city commissioners will consider Tuesday.

Lawrence Police officers watch the intersection of 9th and Indiana while Lawrence firefighters battle an early morning blaze at 1005 Indiana in this July 31, 2008 file photo. Lawrence police officers and firefighters would receive a raise less than the 1.5 percent raise received in 2009 under the tentative agreement that city commissioners will consider Tuesday.

October 28, 2008

Advertisement

Fireworks citations issued in house fire

A new report from Lawrence-Douglas County Fire and Medical accuses the occupants of a Lawrence home - destroyed in a July 31 fire - of fireworks violations. Enlarge video

A new report from Lawrence-Douglas County Fire and Medical accuses the occupants of a Lawrence home - destroyed in a July 31 fire - of fireworks violations.

In the report, officials say the house fire at 1005 Ind. likely started when two of the occupants, Adam Renfro and Kevin Brown, threw lit fireworks at Sam Ferando, an occupant of the home who was sleeping on an upholstered couch on the front porch.

The fireworks exploded on the couch, smoldered awhile and eventually caught the couch on fire, fire investigators said. No one was on the couch when it ignited.

The fire caused $360,000 in damage and destroyed the house, which had been converted into apartments. The cause of the fire is listed as unintentional.

Alcohol or drug use may have contributed to the fire, the investigation report said. Fire Chief Mark Bradford said numerous people had been at the house before the fire was reported around 5:15 a.m.

Renfro and Brown were cited by fire officials for two fireworks violations each. Ferando and Sam Buhler, the fourth occupant of the home, were each cited for one fireworks violation.

Under Lawrence city code, it is illegal to possess, manufacture, store, sell, use or handle certain fireworks. The men are set to appear at Nov. 19 arraignment hearings in Lawrence Municipal Court.

The four men, all Kansas University students, were inside the home at the time of the fire and escaped.

Two of the occupants were injured, including Buhler, who jumped out of a second-story window of the house, the report said. Buhler, a KU senior from Lawrence, suffered smoke inhalation and had several cuts, including to his knee and arm. He was transported to KU Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., with moderately severe injuries, the fire report said. He was not burned.

Brown was treated at Lawrence Memorial Hospital for smoke inhalation and later released. His injuries were listed as minor.

A 26-year-old firefighter, David Bova, also was treated at the LMH for non-life-threatening injuries. A report said he had moderately severe injuries and that he was using hand tools when he was injured at 9 a.m. the day of the fire.

The property owners, Crimson Properties, LLC, are looking to rebuild a similar rental home on the property.

Comments

Buggie7 5 years, 5 months ago

What makes me roll my eyes here is the fact that the schools and people were doing everything to help these kids out when they should have taken responsibility and either themselves or their parents pay for the things that were given to them. They were scrambling around for clothing and school books supplies etc. Why should the community come together and help them when they should be coming together to help the property owners. Boo hoo oh feel sorry for me is what we heard at the time. I dont feel a bit sorry for them. There are people in Douglas County that can use the help not these idiots who want to horseplay.

0

monkeyspunk 5 years, 5 months ago

Confrontation, using your logic, anytime anyone gets hurt using any type of device/product, regardless of their own careless and blatant disregard for safety, ALL people should be required to cease use of said device/product. They were shooting an incendiary explosive at a roommate who was lying on a flammable object, which happen to be on part of a very large flammable object in which people reside. BRILLIANT! Kind of like when a person is travelling in a vehicle at 70 miles per hour after having consumed a twenty pack of Natural Light and hurtles his car across a median and strikes an oncoming van full of whatever. Ban all cars! This isn't an example as to why fireworks are dangerous (there are plenty of them), this is an example as to why stupid people shouldn't be allowed to procreate.

0

MeAndFannieLou 5 years, 5 months ago

Fahrwurks is mah raht as an 'Muhrcan!

0

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 5 months ago

Wait till the next house burns down with the propane grills on the front porch.Lawrence is so much like the 4th of July year round.

0

Shardwurm 5 years, 5 months ago

Horseplay, alcohol, and fireworks...shocking revelation. I can't believe something went wrong.

0

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 5 months ago

I'm waiting for the day, when the Hawkspointe tenants let their pyrotechnic antics take over the place. More room for Oread Inn to expand.

0

Confrontation 5 years, 5 months ago

Wow! I thought fireworks were absolutely harmless! I can't believe the city would ban them!

0

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 5 months ago

Drug use? REally now, not in that neighborhood. I thought there was a law that could put some pretty stiff actions against the owners of a property when there is drug use.I really liked the part when the article talked about the burning sofa and no one was on it. Gee, don[t you think we would have heard about that by now>

0

LooPerkinsucks 5 years, 5 months ago

This comment was removed by the site staff for violation of the usage agreement.

0

NObamaNOwayNOhow 5 years, 5 months ago

does anyone know the names of the officers in the picture?

0

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 5 months ago

The city is controlling all around the campus and using the Neighborhood group, Oread as pawns. Scott at planning has no balls, you are correct. The Planning Commission is very inept at having knowledge of what is going on. They could care less and some of their members believe that the Neighborhood group should dictate for all of the owners. 458casul, there just may be a lawsuit lurking around the corner against the Oread group board of directors, the planning commission and the city commission.I agree, that the owners now, should just let it sit burned out. AFter all, the city commission won['t require that it be town down. 1232 La hasn't been torn down. ONe can only assume that the owner doesn't have enough money to tear it down.After all, it doesn't take much for a bulldozer and truck given the economy right now. There are a lot of dozer operators looking for work.ACtually, if I were Farha and the other investors, I would bulldoze it and let the lot sit vacant, I really would. Take the insurance money , pay off the loan and let the lot sit. Expect more houses to be burned by the tenants. That wasn't the first and won't be the last. 14th and Kentucky, 1216 (?) Ohio, SAE fraternity, there was one in the 900 block of Indiana.It has nothing to do with the houses and their upkeep, it is the tenants that party 24/7 and the owners allow it.The city wants it that way. Those houses are money magnets for the county coffers. The city has neglected basic city responsibility for streets, sidewalks, alleys , lighting. so when the city commission continues to create a slum area, you will get maintenace equal to that.I doubt that the tenants will pay anything, I really do. In fact, they probably are wanting to move back into another "restored" house.The fact is, most all of these places, aka boarding houses have no one responsible living in them. They need an adult to kick ass and put them to bed.

0

zissou 5 years, 5 months ago

If idiots are going to harm/kill themselves, feel free, but don't involve the lives of others (firefighters). We've all been guilty of stupid decisions while under some influence, but this is a whole new breed of moron. I'm hope they're held responsible in some regard.

0

Michael Capra 5 years, 5 months ago

the city wont let them do crap. scott at planning has no balls let it sit till planning has common sence that will never happen so put up signs that slam the planning dept till they say rebuild or let it sit

0

SMe 5 years, 5 months ago

I wonder who's parents are going to be paying for the "new" rental property?

0

Commenting has been disabled for this item.