Archive for Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Owner of home destroyed by fire credits cat for alerting him

November 25, 2008, 11:22 a.m. Updated November 25, 2008, 4:57 p.m.

A house cat saved the day for a rural McLouth family.

Tuesday morning, a blaze consumed Ben Pierron’s split-level home about two miles west of McLouth.

Carl Chalfant, fire chief for McLouth City/Union Township No. 9, said the owner told him smoke alarms in the home weren’t sounding, but the family’s cat woke him up when the fire started.

There were no injuries, although the cat could not be found after the blaze, which started about 4 a.m., Chalfant said. However, the fire chief reported later that the cat had been found in a storm shelter near the home.

The house was a total loss, Chalfant said.

“We’re pretty sure it’s an electric short, but it’s still under investigation at this point,” Chalfant said.

Other agencies that responded to the fire were Oskaloosa, Winchester and Ozawkie city fire departments and Sarcoxie, Fairview and Rural township fire departments.

Comments

KEITHMILES05 6 years, 1 month ago

So, the owner had smoke "alarms"? That means more than one. Probably the batteries were dead.This is the first time I have heard of any cat doing something good.

Jennifer Alexander 6 years, 1 month ago

I am not much of a cat person, but I really hope you do find your cat. It doesnt matter to me if the cat alerted the homeowner or not. A missing pet is heartbreaking. Hopefully the kitty got out alive.

Ragingbear 6 years, 1 month ago

In the Boardwalk fire, there was little smoke due to the intensity of the flames. Most of the alarms did not go off at all.Also, that kitty deserves steak or something.

Kirk Larson 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm a multi-cat person myself. It wouldn't surprise me if the cat STARTED the fire.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 1 month ago

I drove by the house today and like the article says, the house is completely ruined. It just made me sick to my stomach to see this house and for it to happen so close to Thanksgiving. This house was such a nice home. My husband knows the family and he only has nice things to say about them so my heart goes out to them. I hope that we can help in anyway possible. I'm glad to hear nobody was physically hurt. Including the little kitty hero!

leadstone 6 years, 1 month ago

If I were a cat I'd wake a person up,too. Otherwise I couldn't get the door open. Good Job, Kitty ( :-P)