Archive for Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Headless Jayhawk sculpture found

May 20, 2008

Second piece of missing Jayhawk sculpture found

One man's trash turns out to be a local business's treasure. Enlarge video

The headless body of a vandalized Jayhawk sculpture was retrieved Monday from a Dumpster at Sunrise Village Apartments and reunited with its previously recovered head.

"We're happy to have him back," said Carol McCaffrey, of KLWN, where the Gogh Hawks Gogh bird was once on display. "No more of this out-of-body experience."

The sculpture, one of the original stars of Jayhawks on Parade in 2003, disappeared last fall around the time Kansas University's football team played Kansas State, McCaffrey said. The head was later recovered from a woody area near Gateway Apartments, she said.

But the other half of the sculpture appeared to be long gone until Monday afternoon.

"Someone called the police department and reported the body of the Jayhawk sticking out of a Dumpster," McCaffrey said. "Now the two have been reunited - the head and the body."

McCaffrey said she had yet to spread word of the piece's return, and she did not know whether the bird would be repaired. Several Jayhawk sculptures on display at various public spots across Lawrence have been damaged by vandals during the years.

Comments

John Spencer 6 years, 7 months ago

Fundamental,If you are so worried about a capitol d, why then do you begin a sentence with 'And'?

WHY 6 years, 7 months ago

Fundamental, it appears that you have climaxed.

Jay_lo 6 years, 7 months ago

fundamental,With apologies;"To bullsh*t, perhaps to dream!" No it really isn't a quote, but yet somehow, more fitting. If you truly like to challenge yourself to find "oddities that require further investigation or explanation", then you could do so, as "mental masturbation" would suggest, in the privacy of your own home.What you really do enjoy, as you initially correctly stated, and which is more than obvious throughout your responses is to "find errors", and not only to find these errors, but to point them out to those unfortunate enough to have committed such while attempting to engage you in conversation.Should you actually be interested in becoming a better writer by examining the prose of others, then you would be better served to challenge yourself to express, in more creative ways, the opinions of such writers. The only passion which you have, thus far, exhibited is one for dissecting the writings of everyone else for the sole purpose of making minor grammatical corrections, while ignoring the total context of the statements presented. Truth be known, you can no more be challenged, or learn from such actions than any English teacher grading papers for grammatical accuracy.Reply as you wish, for I am retiring for the evening, unconcerned as to what Earth shattering errors I may have committed in my command of the English language.Learn on my friend, learn on.

fundamental 6 years, 7 months ago

Is there any reason why a dumpster received the designation of being capitalized in this story? That doesn't make sense. Maybe if it said "the Dumpster" I would understand, but it doesn't specify which dumpster. Therefore, it should probably not be capitalized.

fundamental 6 years, 7 months ago

WHY,I don't even know where to begin, but here goes...While it is likely that what qualifies as "mental awareness and intellectual stimulation" is quite different for me than it is for you (or anybody else, for that matter), your supposition that quibbling over the capitalization of a letter is not such is quite a subjective statement. I like to challenge myself to find errors (or oddities that require further investigation or explanation, as happened in the above story) in prose so that, as iron sharpens iron, I might make myself a better writer. You clearly do not share my passion for these details. Otherwise, I assume you might have found time to add an apostrophe in your last sentence ("Thats?" seriously?), or a comma after "stimulation" in the second sentence of your previous post, but perhaps such accuracies are below me, I mean you.

fundamental 6 years, 7 months ago

Well, if Dumpster is worthy of being capitalized, shouldn't it then be used as an identifying adjective, such as Xerox copier or Kleenex facial tissue. Perhaps they could have said "a Dumpster trash bin" or something. And how do we know if it really is a Dumpster brand trash receptacle? It could be from any other manufacturer, couldn't it?

sharper 6 years, 7 months ago

Whoops, Fundamental. Definitely need that extra cup of coffee this morning if I'm dropping off an "a" here and there.

PeteJayhawk 6 years, 7 months ago

Yes, Dumpster is a brand name, hence the capitalization.

fundamental 6 years, 7 months ago

I can't wait to see the new Indiana Jones movie. It's going to be great.And I really don't care about the distinction between generic terms and their trademarked geneses. I just like to learn and be challenged every once in a while.By the way, I've seen Arena Football, but I've never seen any Plexiglas at an Arena Football game. They have boards on the outside and nets in either end zone, but no Plexiglas. I've seen Plexiglas at hockey arenas and at the HHH Metrodome in Minneapolis ca. 1991, and I've learned not to confuse Plexiglas with the NY Football Giants' reciever, Plaxico Burress, but I've never seen such at an Arena Football game.

183910 6 years, 7 months ago

u all missed the .is mcaffrey related to RED DOG she seems to get her name in the paper alot

ontheotherhand 6 years, 7 months ago

WHY (Anonymous) says:..... Speaking of stimulation what do you call that activity people do alone in their room while surfing the web and pretending to be engaged with the outside world, which wants nothing to do with them. Answer: I would have to say "Pulling a WHY." :)(Said in pure fun. Lighten up, WHY! Life is too short.)

WHY 6 years, 7 months ago

All of you people who get up in the morning to proofread the paper need to find a more appropriate outlet for your desire to impress the rest of us with your intellectual tidbits. I believe the term for this behavior is mental masturbation.

funkdog1 6 years, 7 months ago

I would bet that since "dumpster" is between "Monday" and "Sunrise Apartments" which are both capitalized, that someone just made a simple typo.

fundamental 6 years, 7 months ago

Well, WereAllMonkeys (I guess LJWorld.com doesn't allow puctuation in screen names, unless your screen name is the beginning of an odd question concerning the collective past of a vast number of primates), it is generally acceptable (if slightly informal) grammar to begin a sentence with the word "and," so long as the sentence contains all the appropriate components, which my above sentence does. As the comments section of an LJWorld.com story isn't exactly the editorial page of The New York Times, I figured I could get away with a little informality. Perhaps I was mistaken.By the way, I'm not so much worried about a "capitol d" as I am with the capital "D."

dirkleisure 6 years, 7 months ago

Fundy, don't ever read stories about Arena Football.Lots of times, players crash into the Plexiglas.That's gonna kill you on two fronts - capital P and only one s. Just look away! Whatever you do, when they open the Ark do not open your eyes!

fundamental 6 years, 7 months ago

WHY,I can go all day/night like this. You wouldn't know my climax if it hit you in the face.Snap!(This comment will be removed by the site staff for violation of the usage agreement)

ontheotherhand 6 years, 7 months ago

Wow WHY,The fact that you would liken mental awareness and intellectual stimulation to mental masturbation tells us much about your mental faculties. We can only guess (NOT!) about the other part . . .

WHY 6 years, 7 months ago

Answer: I would have to say "Pulling a WHY." :)This is one of my favorite comments ever. You made me smile.

RomanNose 6 years, 7 months ago

I'm not accusing anybody, but it was probably a Memphis fan.

kansaskev61 6 years, 7 months ago

It was probably embarrassed by all that nonsense painted over his body and he cut off his own head in the woods and then flew off and died in the dumpster.

sharper 6 years, 7 months ago

Actually, Fundmental is right. It's perfectly okay to begin a sentence with a conjunction. However, most teachers tell you not to because it easily lends itself to basic grammatical sentences rather than challenging students to take on greater flexibility with their sentence structure. (And I went to the store. And I bought a cookie. And I ate it. But I didn't like it.) Some teachers are sticklers for it though.

WHY 6 years, 7 months ago

Determining whether the word dumpster should be capitalized does not count as "mental awareness and intellectual stimulation". Speaking of stimulation what do you call that activity people do alone in their room while surfing the web and pretending to be engaged with the outside world, which wants nothing to do with them. Thats right masturbation.

Eride 6 years, 7 months ago

"Tanetti (Anonymous) says:Wow : I'm a copy editor and even I'm annoyed by this rambling grammar discussion. Dumpster = trademark = capitalized unless you want a strongly worded letter from the trademark holder. The generic term is "trash bin." To say both is redundant. Say what you will about the LJW but in this instance it's following standard journalism procedure. I've seen many a proofreading/editing test with "dumpster" on it, where you're supposed to cap it."------------------------------------------------------------------------Actually you are wrong. The usage of the term dumpster is allowable because it is a genericized trademark.

fundamental 6 years, 7 months ago

WHY,You say potato, I say pot-ah-to.You say tomato, I say you're a douchebag.Ha!

jonas 6 years, 7 months ago

Somebody told me to bring this package here, exactly at 7:00."What's in the box?! Ahhh man, what's in the box?!""Become wrath!"/obscure?

fundamental 6 years, 7 months ago

Tanetti,I admitted as much above, when I referred to the subject as one of those "oddities that require further investigation or explanation." It was explained to me, and I have accepted it. I enjoy learning new things, and this is a new thing to me. Sorry to have annoyed you.

Tanetti 6 years, 7 months ago

Wow ... I'm a copy editor and even I'm annoyed by this rambling grammar discussion. Dumpster = trademark = capitalized unless you want a strongly worded letter from the trademark holder. The generic term is "trash bin." To say both is redundant. Say what you will about the LJW but in this instance it's following standard journalism procedure. I've seen many a proofreading/editing test with "dumpster" on it, where you're supposed to cap it.

igby 6 years, 7 months ago

I bet they used it at a keg party and a naked hooker jumped out of it.

Dayna Lee 6 years, 7 months ago

I am the mother of two Lawrence raised children and the Jayhawks have been a big part of many family pictures. I would just like to thank artists that spent many hours creating each one of them and let the community know that we have appreciated them greatly. It goes without saying that JERKS HAPPEN. Please continue to share your art with this community. It helps make this town a colorful and alive place to be.

AnonymousCoward 6 years, 7 months ago

Apologies for the intrusion; please let me just jump in for a moment and ask who owns this trademark that journalists so fiercely protect? Try this: go to dumpster.com, and note that there are no fewer than nine instances of the word "dumpster" on that home page... and none are capitalized, save for the all-screaming-cap headline.Thank you. You may masturbate in peace again.

beatrice 6 years, 7 months ago

The Jayhawks on Parade sculptures are to public art what People magazine is to literature. However, this doesn't mean they should be vandalized. Simple rule, if it ain't yours, don't break it. (Just wanted to throw "ain't" in there to add fuel to the grammar wars.)