Advertisement

Archive for Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Makeshift turkey smoker causes garage fire

November 21, 2007

Advertisement

Smoker gobbles up garage

A turkey smoker caused fire damage to a garage early Tuesday morning in Tonganoxie. Enlarge video

— A turkey smoker caused severe damage to a detached garage early Tuesday in Tonganoxie.

Tonganoxie City Fire Department received the call about 5:15 a.m. for a fire in the northwest area of the city, Fire Chief Dave Bennett said.

Bennett said a Tonganoxie man was smoking a turkey inside the garage, and the turkey smoker caught on fire and spread to an adjacent wall. Bennett said he was still working on a complete report and did not have the man's name.

The fire chief estimated damage to the garage and a garden tractor at $30,000 in damage.

He also noted that the device was not a turkey fryer, which has become a popular item in recent years for preparing turkeys.

"I'd never seen one like this," Bennett said. "It was like an old refrigerator that was turned into a smoker."

Bennett said the fire was ruled accidental.

Comments

pomegranate 7 years, 1 month ago

Smoking a turkey is just a little difficult. He should have opted for a cigarette or pot. You can probably still do both in your garage.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.