Archive for Monday, November 5, 2007

Ads link KDHE coal plant rejection to America’s rivals

November 5, 2007

— Supporters of the proposed coal-fired power plants in western Kansas ran ads Monday that say rejection of the plants by Gov. Kathleen Sebelius' administration will help Iran, Venezuela and Russia.

"Why are these men smiling?" the full-page ad asks below photos of Iranian President Mahmoud Amadinejad, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, and Russian President Vladimir Putin.

"Because the recent decision by the Sebelius Administration means Kansas will import more natural gas from countries like Russia, Venezuela, and Iran," the ad states.

Sebelius said the ad that ran in newspapers across Kansas was "over-the-top nonsense."

She added, "It does a real disservice to Kansans who are looking for an honest and constructive debate about our state's energy future."

The ads were launched by a group called Kansans for Affordable Energy.

Bob Kreutzer, a Garden City businessman who helped start the group, said the ads were partially funded by Sunflower Electric Power Corp.

Sunflower proposed building two 700-megawatt coal-burning power plants near Holcomb.

Last month, Kansas Department of Health and Energy Secretary Roderick Bremby denied permits for the plants, citing health and environmental concerns associated with carbon dioxide emissions.

Sebelius has supported the decision but many western Kansas leaders have said Bremby's order was unfair because there are no state nor national regulations on carbon dioxide emissions.

Comments

lunacydetector 7 years, 8 months ago

oh, i get it -western kansas helps pay for new roads in eastern kansas, and just for that they don't deserve lower energy costs.

salad 7 years, 8 months ago

We do get most of our natural gas from those extremist canadians. Liquified natural gas (LNG) will mostly be comming from indonesia. These ads need to get their extremist dictators straight if they're gonna do fear mongering right.

erod0723 7 years, 8 months ago

How bout the LJW include video of the ad?

Baille 7 years, 8 months ago

How about everything past Hays becomes Northern Oklahoma and save us all a bunch of tax money?

Haiku_Cuckoo 7 years, 8 months ago

Is there any shred of truth to this? Does Kansas import natural gas from Russia, Venezuela, and Iran? Somehow I doubt it.

shorttrees 7 years, 8 months ago

There have been jokes out in Western KS for a lot of years about seceding from the state of KS, taking Eastern Colorado and the Texas/Oklahoma panhandles and forming their own state. The theory is that those portions of the 4 states have more in common with each other than with the rest of their states and they might actually get some credence and consideration if self-governed. Not necessarily a bad idea, but the loss of mineral wealth and taxes from those areas would keep the states from even considering a serious proposal.

toefungus 7 years, 8 months ago

Actually, the demand for natural gas is increasing faster than new production. This put pressure on imports to fill the gap. Natural gas is hard to ship at a reasonable cost. The Governor is not interested in discussion, only political games. Her interest in Kansas is purely self-serving.

average 7 years, 8 months ago

Wait, so Kansas is going to import liquified natural gas from Russia and Venezuela (at about a 50% loss of efficiency) and burn it in Kansas to provide power 300 miles away in Denver (at a loss of 10% over locally produced power)? Really?? Nuclear would be cheap in comparison. Plus, nuclear facilities provide a longer-term investment, unlike the proposed plant that will just be left to rust in 20 years when there isn't aquifer water to run it.

Scott Drummond 7 years, 8 months ago

malkerz 7 years, 8 months ago

It's common knowledge to folks west of kasold that osama bin laden imports 50% of the natural gas to kansas

Phillbert 7 years, 8 months ago

Considering the U.S. gets virtually all of our imported natural gas from Canada, this ad is spot on. Why should we be held hostage to whims of those maple syrup-swilling, hockey-playing, "eh"-saying socialists?

Keith 7 years, 8 months ago

Guess what, much of our natural gas is already imported from such stalwart allies as Algeria, though lately that's dropped of a bit. Check out the recent activity on the Louisiana gulf coast, where there are 2 LNG plants being constructed right now. Add in the 3rd one already in operation just south of Lake Charles La on the ship channel and you have close to 25% of our natural gas usage. Fun fact: this is the slow time of the year for those plants, you'd think they'd be gearing up for winter but the truth is they already sell most of their gas for electrical generation. Here's a link with a little more detail. www.americanpress.com/index.php?optio...

In other words, this attack ad is old news, useful only for riling the easily riled.

snowWI 7 years, 8 months ago

The US gets a lot of natural gas from Canada.

justthefacts 7 years, 8 months ago

Anyone who thinks there is an unlimited amount of oil, gas OR COAL in the earth, hold up your hands so we can put you on lists to sell off our swamp land.

We will eventually run out of these things. It's already happening - ergo the rise in prices and the war(s) being fought to keep our finger in the pie.

Unless you/we personally want to go back to riding horses (or cows?) and living "off the land" we're going to have to come up with some renewable source of energy. And the sooner the better. I'd really like to know how quickly that would have been done if we'd spent half the time we do fighting over things on figuring out new ways to fix the problem of relying upon non-newable sources of energy! I bet we'd have a car that that goes 80 mph on energy produced from pine cones or some such thing, if there were a real effort put into making it a reality!

hornhunter 7 years, 8 months ago

Hugoton gas field is nearly gone, so now there is a new natural gas pipe line running from Wyoming down to around Wichita. Some day S.W Kansas will export dry cow chips for home heating, N.E Kansas will recieve fresh steaming cow chips. I am wrong, they will keep them all since people don't want to export products.
scott3460, "How seriously must the rejection of this proposed plant disrupted the profit taking opportunities for the powers involved to resort to such desperate and transparent fear mongering?" Are you trying to say that Sunflower started this 'fear mongering'? If so you need to rethink that.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 8 months ago

Bob Kreutzer and friends need to do some homework. Since when do wind mills require natural gas from anywhere much less foreign sources? This group has no respect for the intelligence of western Kansas.

We may not need more plants according to Westar if all would practice conservation and use more energy star rated products.

However america does need to clean up its' act and create new economic growth across western Kansas not just in Holcomb thus wind power. Wind power will create more economic growth across western Kansas and provide income to many many more Kansas farmers than one coal fired plant could ever accomplish.

Farming Wind Power http://www.ucsusa.org/clean_energy/renewable_energy_basics/farming-the-wind-wind-power-and-agriculture.html

Wind Vs Coal(single largest air polluter) http://www.ucsusa.org/clean_energy/coalvswind/c01.html

Cashing In On Clean Energy = savings & jobs http://www.ucsusa.org/clean_energy/clean_energy_policies/cashing-in.html

How Wind Energy Works http://www.ucsusa.org/clean_energy/renewable_energy_basics/how-wind-energy-works.html

snowWI 7 years, 8 months ago

hornhunter (Anonymous) says:

"Hugoton gas field is nearly gone, so now there is a new natural gas pipe line running from Wyoming down to around Wichita. Some day S.W Kansas will export dry cow chips for home heating, N.E Kansas will recieve fresh steaming cow chips. "

I don't think so. With global warming melting more ice and glaciers in the far northern reaches of Canada and interior Alaska I am sure they will find a little more natural gas before they reach peak production.

hornhunter 7 years, 8 months ago

merrill, I believe what Bob Kreutzer and friends are trying to do is combat the attack from the Oklahoma gas company that wants to produce electricity from the more expensive natural gas. This ad has nothing to do with wind energy using natural gas

yankeelady 7 years, 8 months ago

Follow the money---who is paying for the ad? Sounds like more of the same old swift boat tactics we've seen before. Instead of rationally defending their position they prefer to try to get a kneejerk response from the uninformed. Same song different verse.

Steve Jacob 7 years, 8 months ago

I am on the up in the air about this, but if down the road, we don't build it, and we get rolling blackouts, there will be heck to play.

It's like not building any new oil refineries in the US over the past 20+ years. We are starting to pay the price for it.

snowWI 7 years, 8 months ago

"Maybe the melting glaciers can provide more water to Ulysses, Kansas, since as you previously pointed out they have run out." I already know that Ulysses has water. I read an article that was obviously incorrect about the water situation a long time ago. Give it a rest.

hornhunter 7 years, 8 months ago

its_getting _warmer, I think you starting to make snowWI melt!

yank, Follow the moneywho is paying for the ad?Sounds like more of the same old swift boat tactics we've seen before. Instead of rationally defending their position they prefer to try to get a kneejerk response from the uninformed. Why should they have to use large amounts of rate payers money to defend something that is perfectly legal? At least they are just putting ads in newspaper which are a lot more affordable then tv ads at prime time. DAH

snowWI 7 years, 8 months ago

its_getting_warmer (Anonymous) says "Which is my point. I am highly suspicious of facts you regularly relate here based upon your sources, and your superiority complex over people from Western Kansas."

Keep making inferences that are completely untrue. You must love to twist everything I say to make yourself feel better. I have ties to western Kansas as well unlike many in this state.

snowWI 7 years, 8 months ago

"But I guess it is you who wrote: "Kansas should become more like North Dakota and further concentrate our population into a few large cities while leaving the semi-arid plains as the rural areas that they are."

Congratulations. You are a great cut and paster, and must have a lot of time on your hands to look at ancient news stories.

You misinterpret what I say. For the past many generations Kansans have migrated OUT of the rural areas in order to find a greater abundance of jobs that exist in the larger regional center towns and urban areas. This is what I mean by the word "concentration" of the population. The urban growth and rural decline has been going on for ages whether you accept it or not. Most of the frontier counties have farm-dependent economies and experience the most out-migration of younger people. Rural economic development should be a priority in the Great Plains. The ethanol boom has brought more jobs to states like Nebraska and Iowa. Iowa is building many new ethanol plants. The only concern I have is with the water consumption.

Geologist 7 years, 8 months ago

The U.S. does not import natural gas from any of the three countries (Russia, Iran, Venezuela). Official US DOE data (http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/ng/ng_move_impc_s1_m.htm) show that Canada is our largest supplier (~75%) followed by Trinidad (>10%).

snowWI 7 years, 8 months ago

its_getting_warmer, Actually, I have retracted some of my previous statements that I know are absolutely false. I will admit when I have made a mistake or an error in judgment. Somehow, I have a feeling that you work for Sunflower. If not, I will accept the fact that a good amount of jobs will be generated in SW Kansas if Sunflower somehow wins this potential court battle. Do I like the idea of a coal plant emitting over 10 million tons of CO2 every year? No. However, I DO understand the need that the SW Kansas counties have for jobs because nearly every county has lost non-farm employment between 2000-2005 according to the Census Bureau.

snowWI 7 years, 8 months ago

Geologist (Anonymous) says:

"The U.S. does not import natural gas from any of the three countries (Russia, Iran, Venezuela). Official US DOE data (http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/ng/ng_move:) show that Canada is our largest supplier (~75%) followed by Trinidad (>10%)."

Wow, Canada does make up a large percentage of our total natural gas imports. Trinidad is very close to Venezuela geographically. I am surprised that the U.S. is not importing any natural gas at all from Russia.

snowWI 7 years, 8 months ago

"I have suggested this dozens of times, and you never have anything to say. Nor have you ever apologized."

Once again, I accept the statements that I have said previously. I apologize regarding the paragraph you quoted me on earlier. Some of things I said I recognize to obviously not be true. However, I can change my opinion about issues and retract some points that are clearly not true. You can pick any quote I have said in the past, and I will likely have a different opinion today. No one's opinion is set in stone like you seem to imply.

Baille 7 years, 8 months ago

"but the loss of mineral wealth and taxes from those areas would keep the states from even considering a serious proposal."

Loss of taxes from western Kansas? They suck up more taxes than they pay in. There is no tax loss. Let them go if they want to go.

Of course within ten years the Ogalala would be dry and we would be living downwind of 8 bajillion tons of CO2 pollution. Maybe keeping it is worth the burden.

snowWI 7 years, 8 months ago

"None of my posts have EVER been offensive to western Kansas."

I will appologize for those posts that have been offensive. I do admit when I am wrong.