Archive for Sunday, March 4, 2007

Ladies take charge for home-building

March 4, 2007

Janet Smalter, left, project coordinator, helps future homeowner Toni Husted frame a window Saturday morning during the Women Build Project at the Comfort Neighborhood in North Lawrence.

Jen Flippin cuts wood Saturday morning during Habitat for Humanity's Women Build Project at the Comfort Neighborhood in North Lawrence.

Alice McKinzie drove 2 1/2 hours to work in biting cold temperatures, only because she's a woman.

"To be a part of something bigger than myself," she said.

McKinzie, of Wichita, helped construct the walls of a home in North Lawrence.

Her sister, Kaye McKinzie, stood on the other side of the wood and carefully bolted the boards to the foundation.

"It's a day of empowerment," she said.

The sisters, both wearing carpenter's belts, are dedicated volunteers to Habitat for Humanity.

"Women raised the money, women plan to build it and we're building it for a woman and her children," said Jean Lilley, executive director of Lawrence's Habitat. "We've got other homes that the men can build on."

The house will go in Habitat's Comfort Neighborhood, a quiet nook near Eighth and Walnut streets, where the charitable organization is building 16 houses.

"Women are perfectionists," said Toni Husted, who will eventually own the home. "I have no doubt in my mind that my house will be one of the sturdiest on the block."

After Husted helped her three children drive nails into boards as a part of Habitat's traditional nail-driving celebration, she stayed in the brisk winds and continued beating nails into boards that will become her shelter.

"That will definitely change," said Janet Smalter, Women Build construction manager.

Construction on the house will continue every Saturday through June, Lilley said.

Comments

Richard Heckler 7 years, 9 months ago

Maybe the LJW left something out sometimes that happens. Perhaps the women have a different perspective.

I too had a similar circumstance when showing up to work for a park department 30 years ago (not Lawrence) although I am not female. After my first week on the job work mates began suggesting that I slow down. Did not want expectations to rise. Staying busy made the day pass quicker and leaning on a shovel was boring. I must admit a woman on the same crew also chose to stay busy and worked hard...quite reliable no matter the task. In the end we used bicycles as one primary mode of transporation on our honeymoon and are still raising a family.

Overall what's going on with Habitat is good for a community.

Lulu 7 years, 9 months ago

Womyn do it right and men do it wrong. Men can't multi-task like us womyn.

Girl power rules!

lunacydetector 7 years, 9 months ago

smitty has split my sides.

in america, women treat their men like men treat their women in africa.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 9 months ago

Smitty, Women can do any job a man can do it's mind over matter. Men can do any job a woman can do again it's mind over matter.

Perhaps the title "Ladies take charge for home-building" is misleading considering the journalists comments. Why would "Ladies take charge for home-building" appear if the writer was going to contradict? This leads me to believe something may or may not be missing.

Women volunteers assisting in the Habitats construction projects is nothing new in reality.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 9 months ago

the whole idea is to help someone get a home of their own does not matter all men or woman just get the job done.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 9 months ago

now don't punish the future homeowner because of one womans statements she will not be incharge forever. was much better when clay comfort ran things.

Harry_Manback 7 years, 9 months ago

I once volunteered with a student group to help this group (or a similar group) last year. I told them my boyfriend had a lot of construction experience and might want to help, but they wouldn't let him because it was "just for women." Well, if they want to turn down help and perpetuate stereotypes they're trying to destroy, then that's their choice.

Harry_Manback 7 years, 9 months ago

It was for Habitat for Humanity, I'm sure of that.

JayhawkAlum03 7 years, 9 months ago

Did all of you complain last summer when the Blitz Build house was built in 2 1/2 days by professionals and you weren't invited to help??

Just an alternate perspective for everyone...when something like this is for a good cause and is really about helping others, why does everyone care so much WHO actually gets to do the work, as long as the work gets done and people's lives are improved? It isn't about YOU and what YOU get out of it, it's about finding solutions to a problem and making a difference.

With the number of houses that must be built in the Comfort Neighborhood for Habitat to retain thier grant, there is no shortage of work if you are willing to be flexible. I haven't been out to work recently because of other commitments and a move to KC, but I feel pretty confident that help is needed....and is greatly appreciated by both Habitat AND the homeowners.

ASBESTOS 7 years, 9 months ago

It has not much to do with Habitat for Humanity as much as it is for agradisment and a "Hey look at me, I am being charitable".

Real charity needs NO CHEERLEADING.

ASBESTOS 7 years, 9 months ago

"THis is just another divisive article about whom squats when one pees ans whom does not."

And BTW, I could care less whom does what, and what they are capable of is not governed by the configuration while peeing.

sourpuss 7 years, 9 months ago

I'm a woman and I don't actually like working with other women. I find there is a lot more backstabbing, snide-talking bitchiness, whereas in a group of men, they tend to work together better to get the job done. I also find that men tend to appreciate someone who knows what they are doing, whereas women like to get hostile and competitive if they feel someone is doing better than they are.

Also, I know there are lots of good women to work with out there and I have worked with plenty, it is just that if I had to build a house with a bunch of men or a bunch of women, knowing nothing about the groups but their gender, I would prefer to build a house with the men.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 9 months ago

"Other women ran to their cars after the ceremony and said they'd be back to help build when it was warmer. A majority of volunteers working on the house Saturday were men."

Maybe they just weren't prepared for the conditions. A man who works outside for a living has all the cover-alls and long-johns it takes to do that kind of work in those conditions. Unless a woman works in frigid tempuratures FOR A LIVING, she may not be ready to handle those conditions.

I don't work outside for a living, and I'm sure I would have been hard-pressed to be productive in that cold wind.

lynnd 7 years, 9 months ago

smitty- i had to laugh at the toilet seat comments. sometimes i think i'm the only wife in the world who truly doesn't care if her husband leaves the seat up or down. i figure, i can put it down just as well as he can. what's the big deal? i'm surprised at how many of our friends get into big fights about this stupid issue.

Noweigh 7 years, 9 months ago

Habitat for Humanity is a righteous cause run by very hardworking, caring people. The Women Build group in Lawrence is loaded with numerous fair-weathers who make appearances(always highly publicized) to feel better about themselves and their life of priviledge.......not all of them, but many of them.

That they "ran for their cars" is hardly surprising. I just hope they didn't "break a nail" in the process.

leadrain 7 years, 9 months ago

LULU !!!!!! GUYSGIRLS We're all just people with Equal abilities. As far as the whole "Girl Power" give it up, I find it kinda hard to believe you could swing a hammer 12hrs a day, not when a RAZOR is too heavy! How's this for an example of duality. LET's ALL HOLD HANDS and HEAL........ whoops, time to take my meds.