Advertisement

Archive for Thursday, September 7, 2006

Two-year-old dies after house explodes

September 7, 2006

Advertisement

— A 2-year-old girl who was badly burned in a house explosion over the weekend has died.

Shaleena Douglas and her mother, LaTasha Douglas, 27, were in the Kansas City home when a natural gas leak touched off a blaze Sunday night. The toddler was taken to Cincinnati's Shriners Hospitals for Children, where she died early Wednesday, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Relatives had planned to travel to Cincinnati on Tuesday, although the spokeswoman said she did not believe they arrived before the girl died.

LaTasha Douglas, who was burned in the fire, told family members she thought she smelled natural gas Sunday night, her brother-in-law Lee Douglas said. After putting the toddler in another room, LaTasha Douglas said she turned on the TV and the house exploded.

She managed to gather her child and get to the doorway, where a neighbor pulled them from the fire.

Comments

ForThePeople 8 years, 3 months ago

Very, very sad! May her soul rest in peace!

Susan Mangan 8 years, 3 months ago

What a tragedy. It really touched my heart the other day when I saw on the news that the KC Shriners were driving her uncle and great uncle out so she had family with her. The Shriners are fun to laugh at in parades, but they are very caring people. God rest her soul and I hope her mother recovers fully.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.