Advertisement

Archive for Tuesday, August 8, 2006

Closet catches fire at Lansing prison

August 8, 2006

Advertisement

— Inmates were cleared from a floor of the maximum-security cellblock while firefighters were called to put out a fire Monday evening at Lansing Correctional Facility.

Bill Miskell, a spokesman for the Kansas Department of Corrections, said officials at the prison discovered the fire in a janitor's closet on the second floor of A Block on the facility's western end. A Block is home to the prison's maximum-security inmates.

The fire was reported just before 7 p.m. "When they got up there, the door was hot enough that they knew not to open it and called the fire department instead," Miskell said.

Fire crews from Leavenworth County Fire District No. 1 and Fairmount Township responded, and the fire was extinguished shortly afterward.

Miskell said inmates housed on the second floor of the cell block were moved to the block's dining area while the fire was being extinguished. There were no reports of injuries, and damage was contained to the janitor's closet, he said.

Smoke from the fire was being blown out of the area before inmates on the floor would be returned to their cells, he said.

Comments

Commenting has been disabled for this item.