Topeka State Rep. Tom Sloan, R-Lawrence, on Tuesday was appointed chairman of the House Higher Education Committee.
"He is a natural fit to chair this important committee," said House Speaker-elect Doug Mays, R-Topeka.
What follows is a look at other House committee chairmen named by Mays. All are Republicans. An "x" designates a holdover chairman from the 2001 and 2002 sessions:
- Agriculture: Dan Johnson, Hays (x).
- Appropriations: Melvin Neufeld, Ingalls.
- Commerce and Labor: Don Dahl, Hillsboro.
- Corrections and Juvenile Justice: Ward Loyd, Garden City.
- Economic Development: Kenny Wilk, Lansing.
- Education: Kathe Decker, Clay Center.
- Environment: Joann Freeborn, Concordia (x).
- Ethics and Elections: Don Myers, Derby.
- Federal and State Affairs: Bill Mason, El Dorado.
- Financial Institutions: Ray Cox, Bonner Springs (x).
- Health and Human Services: Jim Morrison, Colby.
- Insurance: Patricia Barbieri-Lightner, Overland Park.
- Judiciary: Mike O'Neal, Hutchinson (x).
- Local Government: Jene Vickrey, Louisburg.
- Parks and Tourism: Becky Hutchins, Holton.
- Rules and Journal: Tim Owens, Overland Park.
- Taxation: John Edmonds, Great Bend (x).
- Transportation: Gary Hayzlett, Lakin (x).
- Utilities: Carl Dean Holmes, Liberal (x).