LJWorld.com weblogs Seen it?

In which I look back at comments and look ahead to a milestone

Love them or loath them, comments and the comment threads are a major part of our online community on LJWorld.com, as well as on our sister sites, KUsports.com and lawrence.com.

As a group, our sites are approaching an important milestone: their 1,000,000th comment. Since 2003, we've allowed comments on one item or another, whether they're stories or places or events or videos. And in those roughly six years (the first comment I can find dates to June 2003 as a comment on Zen Zero that's no longer visible at the request of the business), we've accumulated nearly 900,000 comments.

The pace of comments has only accelerated in recent years.

In fact, we just hit comment 800,000 in January. If that pace continues, we can expect to hit one million right around Sept. 30.

And we'd like to do something to celebrate poster number 1,000,000. We're looking for your ideas.

Should we send them a book that contains a record of all of their comments? How about a T-shirt with their winning bit of wisdom? Or, maybe, we should give them some other sort of prize. What would you want?

As a brief trip down memory lane, here are some other milestones we've hit over the years.

Comment 700,000, in September of 2008. LJWorld.com poll.

Comment 600,000, in May 2008. LJWorld.com story.

Comment 500,000, in January 2008. LJWorld.com story.

Comment 400,000, in August 2007. LJWorld.com story.

Comment 300,000, in February 2007. Lawrence.com blog entry.

Comment 200,000, in August 2006. LJWorld.com On the street.

Comment 99,999 (because comment 100,000 was removed), in February 2006. LJWorld.com On the street

As I compiled that list, I was amazed at how many of the posters of those older comments have been posting comments on the site for so long. And the volume of comments by some users also amazes me. merrill, sunflower_sue, I'm looking at you.

By the way, do you have any predictions on who will have comment one million?

Comments

Backroadsnews 5 years, 7 months ago

It will be someone who hasn't posted much - hence the book idea not being a great idea since they may only have three comments total. With the growth of this style of interactive journalism, more and more people are getting involved. Which is a great thing, in my opinion.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 7 months ago

Jonathan, obviously I have sincerely appreciated the opportunity to comment for lo these five years.

I've made some friends, and earned some enemies. learned a lot, and maybe impacted some politics.

I know that for you often the job probably feels like being the hall monitor at a kindergarten!

what prize?

how about from that point on that user's screenname gets a special highlight/display font in the comments?

or, maybe that user gets a gift certificate to one of your lunchtime advertisers for $100, but must entertain four other posters.

or, that poster gets to be called "an LJWorld insider?"

bearded_gnome 5 years, 7 months ago

Jonathan, will there be a total post counter somewhere on the site we can check?

Merrill?

most of his posts are cut-and-paste/not his own writing.

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 7 months ago

bearded_gnome,

Jonathan

David Lignell 5 years, 7 months ago

I think gnome and original had some great suggestions for celebrating. Multi, though, takes the prize for imagination...especially with the addition of lemurs and buskers.

My guess for the 1,000,000th comment would be Multi's on one of Ronda's blogs!

Sigmund 5 years, 7 months ago

jkealing (Jonathan Kealing) says… "And the volume of comments by some users also amazes me. merrill, sunflower_sue, I'm looking at you. "

What is more amazing, if you don't count duplicate cut-n-paste posts by merrill the number on this site is nearly 35,000!

bearded_gnome 5 years, 7 months ago

Jonathan writes: I don't think we'll have a counter up, because I don't want it to get crazy at the end, but I'll provide updates as we get closer, certainly.

"get crazy at the end" naw, that'd never happen!

staid bunch we are after all!I don't know to what you refer Jonathan! [smirk]

can we have black helicopters for that parade, too?

probably the millionth post will be Logrithmic referencing the "reichwing!" lol

RoeDapple 5 years, 7 months ago

If enough posters read this blog you can move that Sept30 date up to Aug15

BigPrune 5 years, 7 months ago

What if you are the winner but wish to remain anonymous to protect yourself from retribution of the luny pro-censorship leftists that inhabit this town?

Oh, by the way, I hadn't used my yahoo account in such a long time, my email no longer works. Will I need to create a new user name for the LJW?

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 7 months ago

BigPrune, Message me your old e-mail address and your new e-mail address and I can change it.

Jonathan

jonas_opines 5 years, 7 months ago

"Comment 99,999 (because comment 100,000 was removed)"

Hahahahahahahaha!

Ryan Wood 5 years, 7 months ago

It would be fitting if the 1,000,000th comment featured hatred, racism, homophobia and be completely anonymous.

Then he would get a prize for being a typical idiot.

grammaddy 5 years, 7 months ago

I think it will probably be Merrill, at least that's who I'm voting for. I very seldom agree with many of his posts, but I always look for him, Nancy boy and logrithmic.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 7 months ago

Milestone? (sounds more like the next great American whale)

... stick a fork in this morass, it's justbegun....

bearded_gnome 5 years, 7 months ago

hey Jonathan, couple of side contests: funniest post ever; ljworld humorist; and vote for humanitarian.

I must say there have been some incredibly funny posts over the past years! I remember a couple of threads where we were just barely staying ahead of admin, too! but I bet those can't be resurrected.

also, we could recognize the most banned user! have a nomination for that one!

notajayhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

Here's a suggestion for the prize - a collection of all the posts that were removed, including those of all the dear departed members who got disappeareded.

After the 100,000th got yanked, wouldn't it be a hoot if the 1,000,000th did, too?

classclown 5 years, 7 months ago

"How about a T-shirt with their winning bit of wisdom?"

=================================

There is a high probability of you sending someone a t shirt displaying their immaturity by having one of their posts in which they resort to name calling or the like.

There's also a chance that the winner would be sporting a t shirt with a post critical of the Journal World or one of the many comments by commenters that do the LJW's editing for them such as pointing out spelling and grammatical errors.

temperance 5 years, 7 months ago

“I made the one millionth post and all I got was this damn t-shirt.” Love it!

Thanks for the pat on the collective back, Jonathan. A quick perusal of comment threads on other sites (right, left, and outer fringes of both) throws into bold relief the quality of the LJW comment threads. Even the petty snarky sarcastic caustic name-calling is of a higher order.

Now, who hates those polar bears?

mom_of_three 5 years, 7 months ago

My husband asks me why i post comments on the ljw. Well, because he doesn't want to hear my comments on issues that we may or may not agree on, so I have to tell somebody! He voted repub and I voted dem, so that tells you I sometimes have a lot to say.

BTW, any news on the new LHS girls basketball coach?

jonas_opines 5 years, 7 months ago

LJWorld Forums (anonymous) says. . .

This comment has been removed for violating our terms of usage.

That would make a great T-Shirt.

Does the football LTE actually count since it was 100% plagiarized?

madameX 5 years, 7 months ago

Half the point of online forums is the "snarfing"! I agree that it gets out of hand sometimes, but I'd rather see that than see the LJ World err on the side of too much self-censorship.

BTW, I like the title. It sounds like something Dickens would use, if he wasn't dead and had a blog...

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 7 months ago

If I ever tried to be proud of something which i had to describe as being dominated by posts from Merrill, I would first gag, and then probably stick one of Marion's handguns at my head.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 7 months ago

I vote for movie tickets as the price has gone up and there are several that are "must see", like Star Trek, Wolverine, Transformers, Terminator, etc. I have had problems with comments about my comments leading me to leave, come back, leave, come back. A couple of posters insist, when they are mad, about using all of personas.

temperance 5 years, 7 months ago

I love the proposed “This comment has been removed for violating our terms of usage” t-shirt. It could be a big money-maker, Jonathan.

“there is far too much ‘snarfing’ on the site” “Half the point of online forums is the ‘snarfing!’”

Exactly. I wholeheartedly agree with most of your political posts, bronze, but if you don’t like the rough stuff try commenting on a different blog or newspaper forum – you may come to see the LJW boards in a different light. Commenters at ThinkProgress and RedState (to take two diametrically opposed examples) are far less civil, way more nasty, and (generally speaking) far less intelligent.

Or you can restrict your posts to the “fries versus onion rings” debate.

(wait a minute . . . did I just “snarf” right there? . . . my bad, carry on . . .)

jonas_opines 5 years, 7 months ago

O-Bob: I've seen that piece floating around on the Fark.com comment threads for years now. As Andini has shown, it's a portable/convertable format. There's another that starts "As a (member of Association under discussion), I am getting a kick out of these replies. . . "

jonas_opines 5 years, 7 months ago

And I thought Snarf was the more-fully cat-type thing on the old Thundercats show. (which sucks by the way, don't try and rewatch it for nostolgia value)

Flap Doodle 5 years, 7 months ago

Relax and have a popsicle, bronze. It's a cool and fruity treat on a spring day.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 7 months ago

andini: that was right on on two points!

Bronze, you are a complete joke! you've been TOSsed off of here at least seven times, you harrass other users with pm's and your opinions while you have the right to express them if you'd ever submit to the TOS, are generally ridiculous.

you wanna try to out me yet again, on here, this very thread, huh Bronze???

I love the T-shirt idea.

one poster I don't see who used to be around, was incredibly funny was Nudist.

Irish Hermicleo, if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 7 months ago

Show of hand, who remembers Hot Carl? His tenure lasted about a hour, IIRC.

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 7 months ago

bronze-

I've warned you privately, now I'll warn you publicly. You do not have bearded_gnome's name correct. If you don't immediately cease to attempt to out an anonymous user, your account will be banned. In addition, I will immediately ban any account I suspect to be created by you without notice, warning or further cause. This is your final warning.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

mom_of_three 5 years, 7 months ago

I have to be really p.o.'ed to "snarf," and I may have done it a few times, but only after being provoked. I try to remain very civil, and I think most of us do for the most part. This is a forum to speak an opinion. And I like being anonymous. Last thing I want is to embarrass a child due to my public airing of my opinion. My kids do read the online paper, and have had it discussed in school. Someone was discussing the comments one time, and my youngest thought it sounded familiar and was thinking 'that's my mom."
The only thing I don't like is that comments disappear without the little "this has been removed." So I am not sure whether I forgot to hit "post comment" or if it has been removed. But I think I have rarely said anything that has needed removal. I am just not the attacking type of person, unless you count "numnut."
Then I am a little guilty.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 7 months ago

Most of it got deleted, but I'd put the Shoemaker incident up for the funniest thread ever on LJW.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 7 months ago

oh my!! it looks like Bronzie/cool et al got himself TOSsed again!

darn Jonathan, I wasn't letting him know he had the wrong name. figured just let him go on with his delusion.

I'll be back shortly with my favorite funny post, was on OTS, by Nudist. it was great writing, original, and managed to pull in a couple dozen current topics at the time!

Irish Hermicleo, Multi is partly write. one of the most offensive things you've done is to repeatedly race bait; that is to toss in the topic of race and racial division when it doesn't fit the topic or is just gratuitous.
also, you know I've called you on your "prolife" "life begins at conception" hypocrisy.

Jonathan et al, comments above RE comparing the ljworld comment board to others around the country.
first, the ljworld's basic newspaper site is superior and easier to read than most I've seen on the web, including some of the big boys like sfgate [sf chronicle] and latimes.

second, the comments are indeed way better, more entertaining, more informative than others too. you guys had comments going very lively before many online papers had any. plus, when I look at other sites' comments, they are dull [cjonline] and lacking much participation or energy [santa cruz sentinel/monterey herald/salinas californian etc.].

and yes, there's a real community in the comment board here. as one late commenter pointed out under "downtown dirt" that on the lawrence online site you can actually get people to argue passionately about "downtown dirt" along with the butts.

kthxbi 5 years, 7 months ago

snarf.... I do not think this means what you think it means.... Snarf is from the thundercats Snark is what we do online.

fools_gold_is_he 5 years, 7 months ago

"snarf vs snark"

Bronze was just trying to trying to 'be like hip with the lingo, man.' And it wasn't just a mis-type. He did it twice..

A New Yorker writer, he ain't.

fools_gold_is_he 5 years, 7 months ago

"snarf vs snark"

He ain't exactly a writer for the New Yorker.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 7 months ago

Snap, shhhhhhhh! you mean the *** incident!

here's my nomination for funniest single post, from I think 2006: Anonymous nudist says...

I had a friend who had a superbowl party, He wanted Pittsburg to win the game. During half time he was looking for his wife and found that she was breastfeeding in the bedroom with his best friend. He hit her in the head with a fruitcake and knocked her off her stationary bicycle. He realized to his dismay that Lawence had become a violent place because of him. His wife thought to herself, that she wished she had worn a helmet. She died of a brain hemorage and there was picketing at her funeral. He was very remorseful, but glad he didn't have to pay child support. He felt bad and crashed his car into a roundabout which killed him instantly. His kids sued the city and then they didn't need child support. They bought a restaurant where no one could smoke. They decorated the inside of the restaurant with all of the State symbols. Outside the bar was a crosswalk with a friendly guard who waved alot. When someone complained that she waved too much. That person lost control on the LJW board. Someone painted a cartoon of Mohammad on his garage door and then protesters burned his house down. Then he committed assisted suicide. Micah Downs was going to go the funeral, but he got stuck in traffic because the lights weren't syncronized. He went back home just in time to have the alcohol delivered. Later some friends came over and it turned into one of the problem party houses.

All characters in this story are fictitious

Katara 5 years, 7 months ago

I like Jonas' t-shirt idea best. And I think the picture of Marion wearing his blublockers should be plastered on the back. Or maybe he can be talked into a photo of him in them doing a Fonz type pose for it?

And I knew, just knew, you had to be a farker, Jonas. I think there a quite a few here. A Fark party would be awesome!

jonas_opines 5 years, 7 months ago

Truth be told, my visits these days are few and far between.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 7 months ago

okay TOB: we find a "body double" for marion, promise him a portion of the profits.

could sell online, plus down at 7th and NH.

order of two you get a free klondike bar.

Katara's idea does rock especially those glasses.

so how hard do you think it would be to find a body double for Marioni?

and yes, that * thread was incredible!

alm77 5 years, 7 months ago

I think the new prize should be a computer. That just makes sense!

Jonathan, you do a great job keeping this crowd in line!

bearded_gnome 5 years, 7 months ago

OMG, she said 'broughhahas' does that mean the one millionth poster gets a "get out of red card" to prevent having any future post from ever being pulled by admin?

now, there's an idea. oh, the power! that, along with a special font for your name followed by "LJWorld Insider!"

Newell_Post 5 years, 7 months ago

I think it would be really excellent, if the 1,000,000th comment was....

jkealing (Jonathan Kealing) says…

bronze-

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 7 months ago

A million comments... hmm... have we reproduced the great works of literature yet?

( perhaps we're too evolved )

Eric Neuteboom 5 years, 7 months ago

Mr. Kealing -

I sincerely hope that the 1,000,000th comment revolves around Chuck Woodling's ill-fated (to be kind) attempt at memorializing Wayman Tisdale. The outrage in the comments following that hatchet-job is palpable, and frankly the silence from the LJW staff is very disappointing. I would (and assume others would as well) like to know:

1) How a column in such obviously poor taste passed the editorial sniff-test?

2) Why there has been no response from either Woodling or his editors (of which I consider you to be one)?

I, and many others, demand a response.

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 7 months ago

TOB, Coach Eric-

I'm really not going to say much because I think the controversy over Chuck's column has been thrashed about enough.

No, I'm not Chuck's boss. I didn't have anything to do with posting the column. All I'll say is the column was one of three pieces we posted about Tisdale in the 24 hours after this death. One was the standard AP obit. Another was Danny Manning and Bell Self celebrating him as a basketball player and a man. The last was (the shortest) Chuck's story noting his role in one of the uglier incidents at Allen Fieldhouse.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 7 months ago

I find much of the "snarfing" hysterical, myself. I have only witnessed posts being removed on a couple of occasions and since they weren't aimed at me, weren't really bothered by them. I do like the idea of the t-shirt with "This post...." on it.

Jonathan - you are quite like a kindagarten (we could use a spellcheck here) hall monitor. I'm quite sure you don't get paid nearly enough.

Stuart Evans 5 years, 7 months ago

i really hope the millionth comment contains the words "gun, topeka, bar, robbery, liberal, Bush, and transformers"

so i pretty much hope this comment is it.

Stuart Evans 5 years, 7 months ago

can the t-shirt be bright orange with the posters id name on it? so we can always spot the jackass on the street.

notjustastudent 5 years, 7 months ago

AreUNormal-

you forgot the words empT, socialists, and Hussein : )

I love these forums, wouldn't change anything, and ditto on Jonathon being a kindergarten hall monitor...

bearded_gnome 5 years, 7 months ago

of course, about sept 1st, lhs/fshs will start using their new fields, perhaps entailing articles in ljworld about: turf; lights;parking;neighborhood associations; money/budgets; ad nauseum. so, maybe the millionth post will be by bronze, under the screenname he will have then, after being TOSsed off twice between now and then.

you know, if you do another story on a giant mushroom in north lawrence, you really should include directions to it, its address, etc. that was last oct if I recall correctly. so its gotta grow like crazy to make the topic for the millionth post by sept 1st!

also sept. 1st, will be the obligatory articles about driving mishaps by the incoming KU students. who knows, maybe K-state will have an athletics scandal by then LOL.

we know posters bring a lot of traffic to ljworld, and it is a good thing frequent posters like me keep our big-$ deals with LJWorld secret.

Katara 5 years, 7 months ago

bearded_gnome (Anonymous) says…

okay TOB: we find a “body double” for marion, promise him a portion of the profits.

could sell online, plus down at 7th and NH.

order of two you get a free klondike bar.

Katara's idea does rock especially those glasses.

so how hard do you think it would be to find a body double for Marioni?

and yes, that * thread was incredible!

Jonathan, does the ljworld have the 'deleted posts' from it locked away in an underground, high-security vault? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ How 'bout this, bearded_gnome?

Closest I could find...

bearded_gnome 5 years, 7 months ago

Well Katara, you think we can pay for that body double then?

bearded_gnome 5 years, 6 months ago

once again Bronzie/cool/spiderman/coltrane/jaguar,ariadne/rusty2 et al, you are completely false and cannot be believed.

jonas_opines 5 years, 3 months ago

Very interesting, I think I'll have to work on this a bit.

Blog entries