Archive for Friday, May 23, 2008

Lawyer: Driver may be innocent of charges

May 23, 2008

Lawyer says driver may be innocent

An attorney for a 48-year-old Washington woman charged with killing two highway workers says his client may not be responsible. Enlarge video

An attorney for a Washington woman charged in connection with a hit-and-run accident that killed two highway workers and injured a third said his client may not be responsible for the accident.

Ramona Morgan's attorney, Billy Rork, told a Douglas County district judge Thursday that "extenuating facts" need to be presented in the case. Rork made the argument while asking to reduce Morgan's bond.

Rork also said blood tests show that Morgan had no alcohol or drugs in her system at the time of the Sept. 11, 2007, accident that killed two workers in a construction zone on U.S. Highway 59.

Morgan is willing to be placed on electronic monitoring if she was released from jail while awaiting trial.

Judge Paula Martin denied the request, instead saying she wanted to hear evidence in the case before making any modifications to Morgan's bond.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for June 2.

Comments

50YearResident 6 years, 6 months ago

All Defense Lawyers say: "My Client is Innocent"

bearded_gnome 6 years, 6 months ago

I read the accounts of this thoroughly. what extenuating circumstances? was she temporarily mentally ill? if so, she was in enough touch with reality to drive a car and to drive it at high speed, she knew she was being pursued. she never believed she was someone other than herself. if not insanity, what extenuating circumstances can the atty claim? yes she need her day in court, defended vigorously so the system works. however, it certainly looks like she is guilty, and very creepy. she wants out of jail to care for family business? one day, even if she is given the max on each charge here, she will be released. where will she will be released someday. where? what a creepy thought.

Steve Jacob 6 years, 7 months ago

Let the women have her day in court, but she can stay in jail until then.

EasilyAmused 6 years, 6 months ago

I have no respect for the defendant in this case either, but I take issue to categorizing an entire profession based on your bias, which may have absolutely no basis is ridiculous

EasilyAmused 6 years, 6 months ago

Don't make such stupid sweeping statements, blueharley

shorttrees 6 years, 6 months ago

It appears that "Easily Amused" is a misnomer.

OnlyTheOne 6 years, 6 months ago

What do you expect the defendant's lawyer to say?"Oh your honor my client is guilty as sin but we'll still plead not guilty."His duty, not job, is to present the best legal defense for his client. Logic and truth be damned!"If the glove don't fit. You must acquit."Sounds, to me, like he's going to blame it on the pursuing officer....... "Was this chase really necessary officer?"

KEITHMILES05 6 years, 7 months ago

The lady frickin killed two innocent state workers. ANYTIME you are being pursued with lights/siren then YOU are at fault if you do not stop. That is the plain fact and nothing else matters. Hearing her excuses of 'being scared" is just plain pathetic.

Crossfire 6 years, 6 months ago

An ankle bracelet would be ok, as long as there is six feet of log chain attached to it and the other end tethered to the double yellow line on Highway 59.

acg 6 years, 6 months ago

Blue, I hear ya and agree wholeheartedly. Don't let them bust your chops about being right. And, btw, you're right, Denny Crane is the only lawyer out there worth his salt. ; )

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 6 months ago

The lawyer is her employee, and like any good employee, he's doing what she is asking of him. My guess is that he's just as weirded-out by this as we all are."Circumstances." Good luck with that one.

ckrandle53 6 years, 6 months ago

Has any one heard anymore about the hit and run accident that killed Tom Crum? Is there still an investigation going on, or did it just slip through the cracks?

jonas 6 years, 6 months ago

I've met some pretty good people who were lawyers, and at least heard of some about as honest as my cats when I get home sufficiently late after they've been fed in the evening, but the bottom line is that as soon as this woman said that she would plead not-guilty, he had to come up with the best defense possible for her. I look at lawyers the same as politicians, not that great, but until you have a better alternative for the system currently in place, you just sound bitter when you make generalizing, negative comments.

Warren6032 6 years, 6 months ago

Why are we discussing lawyer? This article is about this woman trying to get out of jail.

bangaranggerg 6 years, 6 months ago

Like I wouldn't think twice about him being my first phone call if I killed some people.. you know.. because maybe I didn't....

Warren6032 6 years, 6 months ago

The lawyers jokes are funny. But it seems that we got off the subject of this article. We should be discussing this woman. Not her lawyer

bearded_gnome 6 years, 6 months ago

Aside from seriousness of the original story, have people lost their sense of humor? I know lawyers that love lawyer jokes. Are lawyer jokes really anyworse than blonde jokes?--mistyso, there once was ablonde lawyer from lawrence,...continue the poem from there if you choose. maybe we set it to music?***but seriously folks, what on earth could the defense lawyer come up with to imply Morgan is innocent???

MLBaseball 6 years, 6 months ago

Blue Harley you can make stupid statements as much as you want. And you know why? Lawyers, Lawyers who defend people's rights, and that are honest and good. Just to name a few:Thomas Jefferson - Lawyer - Primary Writer of the Declaration of IndependenceJames Madison - Lawyer - Primary Author of the US Constitution and Bill of Rights (containing your right to say stupid things)Abe Lincoln: - Lawyer - Ended Slavery and Preserved the UnionFranklin Roosevelt - Lawyer - Brought the Country out of the Great Depression and Lead the country during World War IIEarl Warren - Lawyer - Chief Justice of the supreme court and author of the of the opinion that ended segregation in public schools.There are many more outstanding attorneys than I can list here. I admit that there are some who give the profession a bad name but to paint all lawyers with the same brush is the same kind of practice that leads to prejudice by judging a large group of people based on one characteristic of a person's life.Are all priest pedophiles? Of course not. Are all Athletes dumb? No there are many accomplished and bright athletes, from High School to Pro Sports. If we were to judge people merely by one aspect of their lives it wouldn't be fair or right. So enjoy your right to free speech, but if it is taken away from you, I hope for your sake all the layers aren't at the bottom of the ocean or you might be out of luck.

MLBaseball 6 years, 6 months ago

Just to show that I do have a sense of humor and do not mind lawyer jokes as long as people aren't dying in them.Q: Whats wrong with Lawyer Jokes?A: Lawyers don't think their funny, and everyone else doesn't think they are jokes.Again my problem wasn't with the jokes but with the lack of respect. They go to school they work hard, there are many who work pro bono for good causes and many more who participate in their communities and volunteer their time and money to good cause and are good people. All i ask is just don't disrespect people merely due to their profession. Treat everyone with respect until they give you a reason to other wise, its common courtesy. With that I am done posting and you all may continue to insult lawyers freely because i don't have any more time to spend spinning my wheels with people who aren't really listening to me anyway.

MLBaseball 6 years, 6 months ago

Ok I never said I wouldn't post about other things, also funny how this is turning into a joke thread now. A priest, and a minster, take a rabbi who is new to the area fishing one day. The priest and the minister go fishing all the time at this lake and sail out to their favorite spot and all three begin to fish. After having been out on the water for an hour or so the minister announces that he forgot his favorite lure. He immediately stands up runs across the water to shore grabs his lure and returns to the boat. Needless to say the Rabbi is amazed.Around Lunch time the rabbi asks if they need to go back to shore to get their lunches. The Priest says no problem I will get them, stand up, runs across the water to shore grabs the lunches and comes back.Now the Rabbi is sitting wondering how they can do that, walk on water. After some time fuming he decides he isn't going to be shone up by this priest and this minister so he stand up says he needed to get something from the car, takes one step out of the boat and sinks straight to the bottom of the pond. At which point the Priest turns to the Minister and asks 'Think we should have told him about the stepping stones?'

bad_dog 6 years, 6 months ago

Funny stuff, Blue. Have a couple of cool ones for me-I'm still working, dammit.

oldvet 6 years, 6 months ago

Lawyer, speaking to witness on stand: "Well, after hearing your testimony, you seem to be a pretty smart fellow..."Witness: "Thanks. If I wasn't under oath I'd return the compliment."

bad_dog 6 years, 6 months ago

Hey Blue-at least the headstone quote got it right! You can hang the albatross for that verdict around the necks of Judge Ito, Marcia Clark, Christopher Darden and OJ's jury. Judge Ito for allowing-no encouraging a media circus and cowing at times before Johnny Cochran, Marcia because she was instrumental in deciding to try the case in front of an East LA jury rather than in Brentwood where the murders occurred-reportedly due to her concern over Rodney King like riots in the event of a conviction. Christopher Darden committed a variation of a lawyer's cardinal sin. Rather than asking a question you don't know the answer to, he asked OJ to try on the glove. Anyone watching the demonstration could see OJ purposely spreading his fingers while "trying" to stuff them into a leather glove shriveled by exposure to blood. Finally, there's no question the jury choose to ignore OJ's violent history toward Nicole Brown as well as the overwhelming DNA evidence. Have a great Memorial Day weekend everyone and don't forget to support the troops.

mistygreen 6 years, 6 months ago

Aside from seriousness of the original story, have people lost their sense of humor? I know lawyers that love lawyer jokes. Are lawyer jokes really any worse than blonde jokes?

MLBaseball 6 years, 6 months ago

I am being sarcastic in my next statement to prove a point, sarcastic Let's all tell racist jokes or sexists jokes, its ok cause I'm not being particularly serious. sarcasm over While I am not foolish enough to compare lawyers to the awful history of prejudice that has happened toward women and minorities in this country, my point is rather that the jokes further stereotypes. That saying they are just jokes, especially when many suggest killing lawyers isn't funny. Additionally my previous post wasn't commenting on the jokes so much as your claims from your first and second posts, that lawyers are inherently dishonest and not worthy of respect, because I find that to be not true.

bad_dog 6 years, 6 months ago

KJones: I don't think anyone "freaked out" at all over the jokes, in fact we've all heard them numerous times so they're certainly not news. What tends to irritate are generalizations or stereotypes such as those made by Blue and rammy above. While there are dishonest lawyers out there, that character fault isn't unique to lawyers, or insurance companies or used car salesmen/women, etc.acg: While MLB's list is dated, there are numerous other examples of the legal profession that do great things every day. While you may not hear of or otherwise be aware of them, that is by their choice. They choose to represent their clients pro-bono without seeking recognition from those who don't know their a$$ from their hat-at least not on this topic. While it may be a different world we live in today, at least ignorance is apparently still alive and well. Some things never change...

bad_dog 6 years, 6 months ago

Are all Harley riders "scooter trash"? Heck no-not even those on '73 models ;-) I've worked with and ridden with many of them and the overwhelming majority of them are righteous, responsible, outstanding and fun loving people. In fact, many lawyers ride and represent injured cyclists that got trashed by someone's careless driving. Who's going to represent Blue if not one of your despised lawyers?? Good luck trying the pro-se path to justice.I dare say if we start generalizing about any affinity group, somebody is going to get pissed, so lay off the suits. Humor is one thing, illogical derision is just lame.

KJones 6 years, 6 months ago

Completely agree misty.....and even beyond that it is almost more fun to see these people goaded into freaking out by a few jokes. Personally, I'd pick better issued to get all worked up about but maybe some people need high blood pressure. As for the issue at hand, the woman is scum and her attorney is just doing his job. That is exactly why people crack jokes about lawyers, because their job is to try to come up with some excuse to justify some pretty terrible things.

bangaranggerg 6 years, 6 months ago

Not speaking in stereotypes. I've known Billy on a personal level since I was a kid. He IS crazy. Crazy like a fox though- a great defense attorney no question.

acg 6 years, 6 months ago

Hehee, every lawyer that MLbaseball names is either long dead or knocking on death's door. It's a different world we live in, buddy. Get used to it.

mistygreen 6 years, 6 months ago

If I had a dime for every: 1). Blonde joke told to me.2). Fat joke told to me. Ok I'm not really that fat, just fluffy.3). PMS joke told to me. I'd be rich! Plus if we are sterotyping those jokes I'd be a fat, prementral, blonde. But I'm not going to cry about it.

May Soo 6 years, 6 months ago

According to eyewitness, the driver drove by the accident scene, only to come back 15 minutes later and ran over the 2 highway workers in high speed just because she was scared? I am speechless.