Archive for Thursday, August 3, 2017

Kansas unveils new ‘Real ID’ driver’s licenses, 3 years early

A new Kansas driver's license design, announced Thursday, Aug. 3, 2017, includes either a gold circle with a white star cutout proving the holder is lawfully in the U.S. and that it is acceptable federal identification, or the words "not for federal ID."

August 3, 2017

— Kansas has unveiled a new driver's license design meant to comply with federal identification requirements for airport security purposes.

The new licenses will contain either a gold circle with a white star cutout proving the holder is lawfully in the U.S. and that it is acceptable federal identification, or the words "not for federal ID."

The revamped licenses come three years before they are required.

Anyone seeking the "Real ID" credential must provide Social Security number documentation, and their birth certificate or valid U.S. passport. People without such documents can get the "not for federal ID" card, which will not be acceptable identification for boarding domestic flights or entering designated federal sites after Sept. 30, 2020. Those cards still will be valid as state identification or as driver's licenses.

Comments

Alex Landazuri 3 months, 2 weeks ago

This has nothing to do with boarding an airplane but about voting.

Ron Holzwarth 3 months, 2 weeks ago

Big Brother does not like your attitude.

MerriAnnie Smith 3 months, 2 weeks ago

You're right, Alex. Any fool can see that's what is happening. Kobach wants it to go into practice while he's SOS rather than when he's governor, knowing Kansas citizens will give him heck over it, and also so he can block Democratic votes when he runs for governor..

It has nothing at all to do with being able to get on an airplane and everything to do with blocking poor people from voting.

They go into the DMV the week before their licenses expire. They find out they have to have a birth certificate. They are the group most likely not to have all their paperwork from their lifetimes. They have to order a new birth certificate, and pay for it. They have to wait until it arrives... months? possibly... to renew their licenses. So their licenses expire and they have to drive to work without a license, and then when they do get the birth certificates and possibly a new SS card too (I found out today they will need that too), they have to start from the beginning. Take the written test and then the driving test. All of which costs more money.

And why? So Kobach can successfully block votes of Democrats before he begins his campaign for governor.

Sneaky. Ugly. Disgusting. Typical of Kobach and the Republican Party.

Brenda Bonzer 3 months, 2 weeks ago

My gosh. That shows a complete a total lack of knowledge about this law. I'm impressed that someone would go to the effort of posting without any knowledge at all.

Alex Landazuri 3 months, 2 weeks ago

really? since when has anyone had to prove they are a citizen of the USA to fly within it. if this was such a problem, why have they not made us do this 10 or 20 years ago? this has nothing to do with getting through an airport. its complete bs.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 3 months, 2 weeks ago

So you like giving up your freedom to feel "safe"? Why do we have to prove we are citizens to fly in our own country? You are really okay with this?

Brenda Bonzer 3 months, 1 week ago

Will you ever reach a point where you are able to comment without making up things a person neither said nor implied? You're really OK with Hitler exterminating Jewish people?

Cille King 3 months, 1 week ago

Alex, you are incorrect. This has everything to do with boarding an airplane. Also, a drivers license that indicates you are a citizen will help with voter registration - as it will be a valid "proof of citizenship". Kansas drivers licenses before this "Real ID" did not indicate citizenship - and thus have not been accepted as proof of citizenship for Kansas voter registration.

Wes Allen 3 months, 2 weeks ago

MerriAnnie if you read the last paragraph of the article carefully you would notice that Kansas residents can still get a valid Kansas State ID (which is all you need to vote) without having a birth certificate or SS card. Just need the additional documents to meet the federal requirements (which isn't required for voting).

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 3 months, 2 weeks ago

I had to show them my birth certificate 50 years ago to get my license. You mean, I have to show it again? They will require a national id soon. Show me your papers!

Cary Ediger 3 months, 2 weeks ago

"Anyone seeking the "Real ID" credential must provide Social Security number documentation, and their birth certificate or valid U.S. passport."

Oddly enough that was the requirement to get an DL when I got mine... so logic says I just show up with my current DL and they put the fancy new logo on it.

MerriAnnie Smith 3 months, 2 weeks ago

We were in 3 days ago to renew grandson's d/l.

They would not take his passport. They wanted SS and birth certificate, but we had accidentally brought his mother's SS card and not his. Even then, they were not interested in his passport as a substitute. So I'm curious about the mention of a passport when it's not something they wanted this week. At any rate with all the stuff we had they did renew his license, BUT it may not end up having a star on it. Which means he can't fly and likely would not have been able to register to vote if he had not already been registered.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 3 months, 2 weeks ago

You have to show your birth certificate to get a passport. What's the matter with these people!

Laura Wilson 3 months, 2 weeks ago

Well, I guess I better hope my new passport arrives before I have to renew my DL in September since I have no clue where my social security card is and only half a clue where my birth certificate is, because I do fly and don't really want to drag my passport out just to fly to Chicago. What happens to those people who want to get on a plane in 2020 who just got new drivers licenses three months ago? Is the government going to pay for new ones for millions of people?

Yeah, right.

I know many people who fly domestically that don't have passports because they never go overseas and it's much more expensive than a regular ID. Guess they'll be out of luck in 2020 if all they have is an old drivers license.

MerriAnnie Smith 3 months, 2 weeks ago

But call first, Laura. The guy in Topeka did not want to see my grandson's passport when we were in 2 days ago. He was only interested in the SS and birth certificate and he asked about a Kansas ID card we had gotten him some years ago.

Richard Heckler 3 months, 2 weeks ago

Is this legit or is it more misinformation from the ALEC Dynasty that which is backing Kobach?

ALEC Subversive Activity http://www.rightwingwatch.org/report/alec-the-voice-of-corporate-special-interests-in-state-legislatures/#Voter

ALEC – The Voice of Corporate Special Interests in State Legislatures http://www.pfaw.org/rww-in-focus/alec-the-voice-of-corporate-special-interests-state-legislatures

ALEC EXPOSED – The Koch Connection http://www.thenation.com/article/161973/alec-exposed-koch-connection

Richard Heckler 3 months, 2 weeks ago

There is an ACLU lawsuit which challenges a Kansas election law requiring proof-of-citizenship documents.

So this new ID may be wishful reckless conservative thinking.

This is going to require the media and election people to be in the news frequently advising voters as to their voting rights in order to prevent voters from believing they cannot vote.

We do not want to allow confusion to take a course that works for the anti American Legislative Exchange Council voter suppression network.

Richard Heckler 3 months, 2 weeks ago

Voters ORGANIZING A VOTING DAY PACKET might be a preventive measure which could include:

--- a birth certificate

--- a drivers license or state ID card

--- proof of voter registration etc etc etc.

--- Military Discharge Papers

--- Keep this packet close to protect your right to vote

Do it today in case it is discovered one or more of the above cannot be found. None of these are difficult to replace. But will take time.

Some believe voter suppression is effective :

Greg Cooper 3 months, 2 weeks ago

OK, clarification needed: I have been a licensed Kansas driver for 53 years, and I need, now, to show my birth certificate and social security card before I can retain my 53 year approved Kansas driver status? Is that really true? Someone please answer this question before I completely lose my (relative) cool.

How many states have this requirement?

Cary Ediger 3 months, 2 weeks ago

The question would be is this a one off or each time you go in you have to do this ?

Mike Edson 3 months, 2 weeks ago

It's only if you want the "star" on your driver's license. Otherwise, without your citizenship papers, and just the basic required documentation, it says not a Federal ID. We will all have to have the Federal star or a passport by 2020 or we won't be able to board domestic flights.

Bob Summers 3 months, 2 weeks ago

I think either a "gold circle with a white star" or "not for federal ID" should be tattooed on everyone's forehead.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 3 months, 2 weeks ago

How about a computer chip in your arm, Bob? That should make your lord and master thrilled.

Cary Ediger 3 months, 2 weeks ago

Is this a one time thing or each time you go in you have to do this ?

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 3 months, 2 weeks ago

When I renew my license, I think I will bring in 3 utility bills, my Social Security card, my birth certificate, my passport, and throw them all on the counter, and say "I'm showing you my papers." Of course, that's being rude to the workers. They are just trying to do their job. Maybe I'll take photos of all of them, mail them to all our reps, including Kobach.

Mike Edson 3 months, 2 weeks ago

This does make me very angry. I was born and raised in Kansas. I am a citizen of the United States of America. And now I either need to have a "star" marked on my driver's license or have a passport to fly to Denver Colorado. This feels like a violation of my constitutional rights. Just figured out what I will be reading this weekend.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 3 months, 2 weeks ago

If we already have a passport, do we have to get this stupid star? Good lord. Passports to travel to other states. This is disgusting. So much for smaller government.

Carol Bowen 3 months, 2 weeks ago

How does a Social Security card or a birth certificate validate my identity?

Richard Heckler 3 months, 2 weeks ago

EXACTLY what information does this card provide? Over and above what the media is telling us?

Bob Harvey 3 months, 1 week ago

I would be curious if my military retired ID card would count as Federally Approved.

Jonathan Becker 3 months, 1 week ago

Can I get mine with a 6 point star? Then I can write the word "Kristallnacht" across my license with a Sharpie.

Nick Naidenov 3 months, 1 week ago

A gold star? Really? I've seen way too many convincing fakes that scan correctly to believe a 2nd grade incentive apparatus can stop fraud.

Richard Heckler 3 months, 1 week ago

This no doubt is tied somehow to voter suppression.

How many voters know where their birth certificates are? Replacing birth certificates takes money and requires a bit of information. And will take perhaps two weeks. This household has experienced this endeavor.

How many voters know where their Social Security cards are? A replacement takes about two to three weeks. Don't wait too long.

Where is your Passport? Is it current? Passports also require money and appointments.

Where is your military discharge?

This household decided to take a look around.