Archive for Tuesday, February 26, 2013

ISU coach Fred Hoiberg impressed by Elijah Johnson, says late no-call ‘didn’t go our way’

Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg pleads with an official during the second half on Monday, Feb. 25, 2013 at Hilton Coliseum in Ames, Iowa.

February 26, 2013

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after win over ISU

Kansas coach Bill Self talks after his team's 108-96 overtime victory over Iowa State on Feb. 25, 2013.

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Elijah Johnson, Travis Releford

Kansas guards Elijah Johnson and Travis Releford talk after the Jayhawks' 108-96 overtime victory over Iowa State on Feb. 25, 2013.

Box score

KU-ISU

— Fred Hoiberg sat on a folding chair at the free-throw line, staring at two studio lights that resembled upside-down white umbrellas.

It was just an hour after Kansas University’s 108-96 men’s basketball victory over Iowa State, and for the first time all year, Hoiberg, the ISU coach, was recording his TV coach’s show on the Hilton Coliseum floor following a home loss.

With the camera rolling, Hoiberg said he couldn’t fault his defense late against KU. Then he talked about how KU guard Elijah Johnson appeared to increase the degree of difficulty with every shot he made late.

Johnson’s career-high 39 points ended up lifting KU, and that included a desperation dagger with 54 seconds left in overtime that put the Jayhawks ahead, 103-96.

“That was one of our better defensive possessions, I thought, of the night,” Hoiberg said, “and he drills a big one with a second on the shot clock. Not a lot you can do about that one.”

Hoiberg didn’t hesitate to give Johnson credit for his late-game heroics, saying he played “great.”

ISU guard Korie Lucious left wishing he could have done more late.

“I definitely take ownership for that, because I was the one holding him (defensively),” Lucious said. “He hit a couple of deep threes that brought them back and gave them the lead. He played good, but I think I had to step up my defense.”

ISU also left frustrated after not getting a call on KU’s final possession in regulation.

“I thought Georges made a heck of a play by stepping in there and drawing contact,” Hoiberg said. “But, hey, it happens in this game. It didn’t go our way. It’s one of those things ... you move past it and try to get on to the next play. Unfortunately, we didn’t get it done in overtime.”

With 45 seconds left in regulation, Niang hit a three-pointer to push ISU’s lead to 87-82 before lifting his arms in celebration.

At the postgame news conference, Niang was asked if he thought that shot was going to seal the game.

“The way this season has gone? No,” Niang said. “But I thought we had a good chance to win it, especially at the end. But a call’s a call, and we’re men here.

“We’re going to move on. I promise you one thing: We’re going to come back even harder the next day.”

Comments

Robert Rauktis 1 year, 5 months ago

I think EJ should give back the last two points on the unnecessary dunk. He only really scored 37 points. Final score: KU 106-ISU 96.

bwag 1 year, 5 months ago

That's ridiculous. Clock was running.

vegasartie 1 year, 5 months ago

Have the Mayor or his fans apologized for pelting the KU players with trash?

rgh 1 year, 5 months ago

Agree, even though EJ should have just dribbled out the clock, I haven't seen a apology for the students throwing things on the court. I thought we were at Paige Arena for a moment.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 5 months ago

The shot was poor etiquette, not unsportsmanlike conduct. The actions of the crowd bordered on criminal (depending on what they were throwing.)

caljhk 1 year, 5 months ago

You have to let shooters shoot. KU has lacked a killer instinct for the last several years. It is such a joy watching them win games like the ISU game but it has been very hard watching them grind out games, coming back to win against lesser opponents. It happens to often. When a guy like EJ is finally feeling it don't tell him to stop! This is a game, their kids. let them have fun. If you don't want your feelings hurt stay home or don't watch. Rock Chalk! Let the players play!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 5 months ago

"With KU trailing 90-88 with six seconds left, Johnson drove all the way to the rim and banged into ISU’s Georges Niang, who fell down with the contact.

No charge was called, and with 4.9 seconds left, Johnson was fouled during a loose-ball scrum by Niang before hitting two free throws to tie it."

On the replay, it looked to me that Niang was set. His mistake was slightly moving into Johnson by unnecessarily shuffling his feet just before contact was made. That doesn't usually prevent a charge call in such a situation, but it did technically mean if there was going to be a call, it was a blocking foul, not a charge. Who knows why the refs ruled (or didn't rule) as they did.

Dispersant 1 year, 5 months ago

Glad I'm not the only one who saw that! The call could've gone either way. I agree that, at least, there should have been a call. Horrible night for the refs overall.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 5 months ago

I don't fault Johnson for the slam. It would have been better if he had just dribbled it out, but it's been a very frustrating league portion of the season for him, and the emotion of this breakout game controlled his actions on that last shot, not any desire to run up the score and embarrass Iowa State.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 5 months ago

I've just been around long enough to know how people often react in situations like that.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 5 months ago

It doesn't justify it. It explains it. The emotion of the moment was what controlled his actions, not an awareness of the score and how many ticks were left on the clock. It was still poor etiquette, and he apologized for it. Let it go.

tyson travis 1 year, 5 months ago

Hoiberg is class, so is Self. We've been playing these guys since at least 1908, well before the Big-6 even started, with several games against the "Des Moines YMCA" before that. True, EJ's late dunk showed a lack of class, and they will remember this if we face them in the tournament, just like we remembered Smart's flip for OSU. Still, EJ's late slam could be written off to the fact that we were on an incredible O/T emotional roll, and you don't just switch these things off. Their fans throwing stuff on the court and one of their fans menacing Self were more significant to me. One of my favorite KU games ever, my wife and I had just about packed it in in the last few minutes of regulation, we need to bottle this comeback medication!

OutlawJHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Hoiberg is classy. He was a great college player, and a decent role player in the NBA. And now is a darn fine coach. I always considered ISU one of the classier programs through the years, because of Hilton, their fans, and some of their entertaining coaches, like Johnny Orr. Fans rushing a coach and pelting players has the stench of Missouri "Antlers" written all over it. I hope the Cyclones fan base can pull it together, because Hoiberg is making them into something again. I was happy to see the departure of the classless Antlers and the Missouri fan base from the Big 12 and hope the Antler plague has not been contracted by the Cyclone faithful.

jhvb 1 year, 5 months ago

I don't see anything wrong with the last dunk, just cause they stop defending doesn't mean the clocks done. And Johnson set himself a record score, why wouldn't he want to get those last few points and be excited? OSU's player did a backflip on the court after winning to show his emotion, was that not "showing off"? Johnson had a great game and the fans couldn't suck it up and hold on to their trash, it's nice being disrespected like that..

jhvb 1 year, 5 months ago

I don't think dunking the ball during a game isn't "distasteful"