Advertisement

Archive for Sunday, February 24, 2013

No injuries at Sunday morning house fire; Damages estimated at $70K

February 24, 2013, 9:18 a.m. Updated February 24, 2013, 12:51 p.m.

Advertisement

Firefighters work on a house fire Sunday morning at 1132 New York St. The fire was reported about 8:45 a.m.

Firefighters work on a house fire Sunday morning at 1132 New York St. The fire was reported about 8:45 a.m.

Fire crews responded to a house fire at 1132 New York St. shortly before 8:45 a.m. Sunday.

No injuries were reported, but portions of the home sustained heavy damage.

When they arrived, firefighters reported seeing heavy black smoke. Working in 14-degree temperatures, firefighters brought the blaze under control within about 25 minutes of their arrival.

According to Lawrence-Douglas Fire Medical Division Chief Lyle Schwartz, the estimated damage is $70,000. Schwartz said the fire started when a piece from a wood stove came apart from the house and ignited the attic.

Comments

bearded_gnome 1 year, 7 months ago

too well I remember the deadly house fire a block to the southeast. the smell of that fire was horrible for months!

0

Commenting has been disabled for this item.