More LJWorld Crime Coverage
• A 19-year-old Lawrence man has been charged in Douglas County District Court with one felony count of having sex with a minor. The man was arrested on April 5, the same day that prosecutors allege he had sex with a girl who was 14 years old. She has since turned 15. Douglas County prosecutors charged the man April 19 with unlawful voluntary sodomy, a felony sex crime that can be punished with up to 17 months in prison, depending on a person's criminal history. The man was released from jail after his arrest on $2,000 bond. The Journal-World generally does not name sex crime suspects unless they’re convicted.
• A 29-year-old Lawrence man was sentenced to 17 months in prison Monday after being arrested for the Oct. 18 robbery of another man outside of Hy-Vee, 3504 Clinton Parkway. Antonio M. Douglas had pleaded guilty on March 15 in Douglas County District Court to a charge of criminal possession of a firearm after witnesses testified in a preliminary hearing that they saw Douglas pointing a shotgun at another man during the incident. Douglas also was found in violation of probation terms stemming from a 2010 robbery in Douglas County. He now faces time in prison for that conviction, in addition to the sentence handed down Monday.
• A 39-year-old Lawrence man was sentenced to more than three years in prison this week in connection with a February domestic violence incident in which a woman was injured. Ronald Dwayne Walters had pleaded guilty to two counts of aggravated battery earlier this month in Douglas County District Court and was sentenced to 38 months in prison Thursday. The court ordered that he must also complete a course in domestic battery prevention after his release.
• A 33-year-old Lawrence man has been found guilty of a sex crime involving a 15-year-old girl in connection with a January incident at a Lawrence apartment complex. Crescenciano Donato Hilario was arrested Jan. 29 and pleaded no contest Thursday in Douglas County District Court to one count of aggravated indecent liberties with a child. Hilario is schedule for sentencing on June 11 and could face from 55 months to more than 20 years in prison, depending on his criminal history.
• A 40-year-old Lawrence man pleaded no contest Friday in Douglas County District Court to two counts of rape against a child. The no-contest pleas offered Friday come after an earlier agreement drawn up by his defense attorneys and Douglas County prosecutors was found legally invalid. Stevie L. Stafford had, in August, pleaded no-contest to two counts of aggravated indecent liberties with a child stemming from incidents between 2008 and 2011 involving an 11-year-old boy and a 13-year-old girl. Stafford is scheduled to be sentenced on May 24, and could face 265 months in prison, according to a plea agreement with prosecutors.