Archive for Friday, April 5, 2013

Police cite driver suspected in downtown accident with cyclists

April 5, 2013, 11:40 a.m. Updated April 5, 2013, 6:14 p.m.

Police have found and cited a motorist who they believe was involved in a hit-and-run accident with two bicyclists Friday morning at Ninth and New Hampshire streets.

The accident occurred about 10:30 a.m., when a red car sped east on Ninth Street and struck two cyclists while turning north on New Hampshire Street, said Sgt. Trent McKinley, a Lawrence Police Department spokesman. Witnesses told police the car accelerated toward the intersection and ignored the stop sign before it hit the cyclists, who were riding west across New Hampshire Street. The car then continued north and turned east on Seventh Street.

Originally, police believed the suspect vehicle had a Cherokee Nation license plate, but they later identified another car.

"The good thing about this case was that we had the help of so many witnesses," McKinley said. "That's what really helped solve this."

Police found the suspect vehicle in the 800 block of New Jersey Street Friday afternoon and cited the driver for leaving the scene of an accident, failure to report an accident, failure to obey a stop sign and having no proof of insurance.

Lawrence crime, fire, courts coverage
Have a tip?
Contact Journal-World reporter Caitlin Doornbos:

The two young men struck by the car declined medical treatment, though one had suffered an injury to his leg. They also declined to file a police report, McKinley said, but police investigate hit-and-run accidents. Police did not publicly identify the cyclists or the motorist Friday afternoon.

Comments

skinny 2 years, 1 month ago

jack22 2 years, 1 month ago

A 160 lb bicycle, wow, that's a heavy bike. Maybe people driving cars should follow the rules of the road, look where they're going, put down their cell phones, and share the road. Duh, indeed!

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 1 month ago

He's skinny, and counting his weight to arrive at a total weight of 160 pounds for his bicycle.

grimpeur 2 years, 1 month ago

What's wrong on our roads? Exhibit A right here, folks.

progressive_thinker 2 years, 1 month ago

That's why we need to deny driving privileges to persons who do not understand the rules of the road, Read your driving handbook. Bicycles have a right to be there.

webmocker 2 years, 1 month ago

skinny says "That's why bicyclists need to stay on the bike paths and sidewalks! Lets see, a 3500 lb car VS a 160 lb bicycle, who's gonna win that one???? Duhhhh"

Given the description in the article, they might well have been crossing in the crosswalk, which would be how one would get from one sidewalk to another. Would you suggest bicyclists (and pedestrians, presumably) should never be allowed to cross roads?

How about cars stop at stop signs?

George_Braziller 2 years, 1 month ago

There aren't any bike paths in downtown and it's illegal for bicycles to use sidewalks. Duhhhh.

Emily Hadley 2 years, 1 month ago

It is very much illegal to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk. You will get stopped by Lawrence PD and can get ticketed for it. It is very dangerous to pedestrians and cyclists and does not allow visibility for car drivers or cyclists when crossing roads and alleys. If you drive a car, the fact that you don't know this makes you ignorant of the laws you need to follow and extremely dangerous to others on the road.

Trumbull 2 years, 1 month ago

Actually, I wish you were allowed to ride your bike on the sidewalks. It is much safer to ride your bike on the sidewalk on the busy streets like 23rd, 19th, 6th, Mass, etc. I do this at a slow safe speed. It is also safer for automobile motorists to not have to contend with bicycles. I would think that the police would not enforce this by ticketing bicyclist who use the sidewalks. One would think there are bigger fish to fry.

repaste 2 years, 1 month ago

Let us see how you fare when that cyclist at 20mph hits you while you are walking down the sidewalk and step in front of him while you were talking on your phone. The time has come for us to catch up with the rest of the world.

Wayne James 2 years, 1 month ago

Have you read your drivers manual lately? Bicycles are not to be ridden on sidewalks. Sidewalks are reserved for pedestrians only! Bicycles need to be on the street, riding NEAR THE SIDE OF THE STREET, NOT IN THE CENTER OF THE TRAFFIC LANES! Leastways, that was the rule/law "back in the day" when I was riding MY bike on Lawrence's streets.
I lived & grew up on Missouri Street where I would ride m Schwinn two speed to town or to school without incident or trouble from drivers of the Chevys, Fords, Plymouths, Dodges Chryslers, & Lincolns. There were a smattereing of VWs around, but I don't remember any other import on the roads at that time (1950's)

mom_of_three 2 years, 1 month ago

They shouldn't have to stay to the sidewalks if they follow the rules. The car was breaking the law... running a stop sign and hitting cyclists... Hopefully the cyclists stopped at the stop sign and followed the rules, too. glad the injuries were not serious....

Biscayne 2 years, 1 month ago

Bike riders need to follow laws also, riding single file in traffic, and not running stop signs! I see this all the time.

kernal 2 years, 1 month ago

oletimer, your comment sounds a tad racist. Did you not get the part where the LPD determined it was not a Cherokee Nation plate?

garthwatchison 2 years, 1 month ago

Drivers need to never exceed the speed limit or drive without insurance--happens all the time doesn't it?

footnote2 2 years, 1 month ago

The sentence "Originally, police believed the suspect vehicle had a Cherokee Nation license plate" implies that the original belief was not substantiated later. Clarification is important, especially if there was no such license plate on the suspect vehicle.

JayCat_67 2 years, 1 month ago

Not so sure this statement was really even necessary, unless there was an article published earlier stating that the police were looking for a car with said license plate. Even then...

James Minor 2 years, 1 month ago

If Kansas would go on and follow Washington and Colorado regarding Marijuana the driver would not be drinking and driving, and this would be a safer place to live!!!

bearded_gnome 2 years, 1 month ago

---C'MON! one of the young men suffered a leg injury! there's no charge here representing that! even if he/they declined medical attention, can't the carge be based on the observation of witnesses/the officer? this is a driver who should have more charges lodged against him/her.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 1 month ago

some of the comments above make me wonder if this is the Twilight zone!

drinking and pot? huh?

going to totally avoid downtown, for what?

start blaming all cyclists? "one day I saw a cyclist do this ... " ... amazing! [the driver was at fault!]

and, "some day the Cherokee people will return" so you better watch out!

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 1 month ago

Best comment! I was going to write something but you covered it quite well.

kernal 2 years, 1 month ago

In case cyclists missed it, you CAN ride your bikes on sidewalks, just not in Downtown Lawrence.

I wish cyclists would do that on West 9th St and 23rd St. Very scary for them and drivers.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 1 month ago

I once called the police station and asked a police officer if it is legal to ride a bicycle on a sidewalk while intoxicated.

He answered yes, it is legal, but he recommended that I not do it. Then he pointed out that it is illegal to cross any streets on a bicycle while intoxicated, or in fact, to cross any streets on foot while intoxicated either. Or to even be on a street while you are intoxicated. I didn't say anything, but I did wonder how you are supposed to get into a car with a designated driver if you can't set foot on the street.

So I suppose you can get drunk and ride your bicycle around the block, if you can do that without falling down or colliding with anything. Anyway, that ruined my plans to ride my bicycle to the local bar that night. But I quit drinking now anyway, so I guess it doesn't make any difference to me personally.

Wayne James 2 years, 1 month ago

Riding a bike or walking on the sidewalk while intoxicated could land you in jail and possibly a hefty fine, for being "Drunk in Public". If you want to drink, and get "drunk", it is best to stay home and do it. Cheaper and safer for you & everyone else.

James Minor 2 years, 1 month ago

It seems the message from the cop was to not drink at all!! A solution would be to ride your bike immediately after leaving a bar where a friend waits with a pickup truck. You then ride your bike on to the back of the pickup truck and crawl into the front of the vehicle without touching the ground. No laws are broken and all are happy!!! I forgot to add that your friend can't be intoxicated then both of you will be sharing a room at the Douglas County Hotel and Jailrista!!

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 1 month ago

Another solution would be to pick up a 6 pack at the grocery store and drink alone. Actually, that is how I did almost all of my drinking. Fortunately, my major grief that led to that has since been resolved, more or less.

cateastrophe 2 years, 1 month ago

It says they were struck while the car was turning which indicates the cyclists may have been crossing the street so don't assume the cyclists were negligent. Unbelievable that people are siding with a speeding hit and run driver.

Liberty275 2 years, 1 month ago

I don't like bikes on the road because I don't want to hit them or have to slow down and be overly cautions because they might fall in front of me. I saw a guy fall off his bike last week at the corner of 31st and Iowa. Bikes are clumsy so you have to give them lots of room.

The law say's bikes can be ridden on the street, so unless you want to pay more for insurance you treat them like the plague and stay away from them.

And don't run stop signs. At least California stop: at least then you get a second to look around for the fuzz... or bikes.

Who sells good used bikes around here? Like used Giants.

UneasyRider 2 years, 1 month ago

Was this a serious post? Have you ever ridden a bike?

bearded_gnome 2 years, 1 month ago

yes, who indeed sides with a negligent driver?

answer: other negligent drivers?

^^Frankie8 11 hours, 9 minutes ago

Best comment! I was going to write something but you covered it quite well.

---thanks Frankie8. sorta like the crazy bone got hit a few times or something.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 1 month ago

^^Ron Holzwarth 11 hours, 41 minutes ago

He answered yes, it is legal, but he recommended that I not do it.[lol] Then he pointed out that it is illegal to cross any streets on a bicycle while intoxicated, or in fact, to cross any streets on foot while intoxicated either. Or to even be on a street while you are intoxicated. I didn't say anything, but I did wonder how you are supposed to get into a car with a designated driver if you can't set foot on the street. [well, obviously you levitate]

---Ron, thanks for this, and glad you kicked the demon. I inserted a couple responses in your msg above.

Wayne James 2 years, 1 month ago

Being a motor vehicle on the sidewalk, makes the off duty officer "at fault" in a collision with the bicyclist, and therefore HIS insurance (?) will pay any necessary medical expenses up to the amount of his liability coverage.

A2000 2 years, 1 month ago

I stopped to turn right towards Clinton Parkway Thursday afternoon when there was this cyclist at the sidewalk by the light. Waited for cyclist to cross the street but he was just there, staring at me like he was upset. Since he wouldn't cross the street, I prepared to start the car. However, at the same time, he started to cross the street. I abruptly stopped. And he abruptly stopped. I gave him the sign to cross the street and he finally did but not before giving me a taste of road rage. He shouted, "you yield for me." I wondered, how long do I have to yield for him if he wouldn't cross the street. Then I read this article. I've been told I look Native American and I was driving a red car.