Archive for Sunday, September 2, 2012

Woman flown to KU Hospital after being struck by vehicle

September 2, 2012

A young woman was transported by helicopter to KU Hospital with serious injuries after being struck by a vehicle at 1:01 a.m. Sunday morning, near the intersection of Ninth and Ohio streets. Police said she was between 18 and 22 years old.

Lawrence Police Capt. Bill Cory said the woman was crossing Ninth Street when she was hit by a white Ford Explorer pickup truck with Arizona license plates, driven by a 25-year-old man.

Cory said it was too early in the investigation to know if alcohol played a role in the incident.

This is the second vehicle-pedestrian collision in Lawrence within the last week.

Check LJWorld.com for updates as they become available.

Comments

Scott Morgan 1 year, 7 months ago

Normally I would hesitate to make a blanket complaint about an entire small city. Will suspend this habit about traffic and drivers in this town.

Have you noticed how many Lawrence vehicles have huge dents and dings in relatively new vehicles. I call them Lawrence Tattoos. Huge expensive, costly when you consider the insurance rates going up, but some must fell like......

Just this afternoon a young women buzzed around a car backing out of parking place. Instead of waiting until clear, she drove her car through the other sides parking places like it was part of the legal driving lane.

dumbkansans 1 year, 7 months ago

A lot of people are quick to blame the pedestrian for this. More than likely, the driver was drunk which will make him 100% at fault.

Also, to the person who said students walk out everywhere on campus with no regards to vehicles, we have right of way on campus while classes are in session.

costello 1 year, 7 months ago

Yesterday I was riding in a car my 82-year-old mother was driving. We were headed south on Mass in the outside lane just past Dillons. A young man - early 20's, I'd say - came striding toward the road, looking like he was going to step into traffic directly in front of her car. He stopped just short of it. He had this stupid smirk like he thought he was hilarious.

What did the fool hope would happen? That my mom would throw her brakes on and be rear ended? Or was he merely hoping she'd have a heart attack?

thebigspoon 1 year, 7 months ago

Look before crossing. Something you are taught in grade school...

Carol Bowen 1 year, 7 months ago

Lights, walkways, education are lame and expensive ways to encourage responsibility. It's time to step up enforcement for drinking and other irresponsible behaviors. Stiff consequences are more influential. Let the students bear the expense.

KU should take more responsibility. It would be very difficult to convince me that the students involved are doing well in their classes - attendance and grades. Coupled with offenses in town, they should be sent back home.

I don't normally talk this way about young people, but I do not like such blatant misbehavior. The whole town is less safe. The streets in the neighborhood below the campus are becoming a zoo.

MacHeath 1 year, 7 months ago

I hope the girl is ok. What a bummer for all concerned. This situation is nothing new. You can carp all you want, but students, and other pedestrians, will pay no heed.
No one will run anyone down, on purpose. Better lighting, and cross walks will not help. In this town, you have to watch for motorcycles, scooters, bicycles, and pedestrians. Sooner or later, you will probably hit someone. I knew a dude that hit a bicycle cop downtown...it was the cops fault.

msmimi 1 year, 7 months ago

I barely missed a guy who was crossing Tennessee; he jumped back and I barely missed him. I was going less than the actual speed limit which is 35 mph. it was nighttime and both my headlamps were on; gave my daughter quite a scare.

pace 1 year, 7 months ago

My guess some of the same ones complaining about people walking in the street will complain about keeping their sidewalks clear. Be careful out there and just assume there is a hater behind the wheel of the car coming toward you or your bike. Better designated cross walks and better lighting might help.

oneeye_wilbur 1 year, 7 months ago

Why is it so hard to cross a street? It is very simple. Do not cross until it is clear. It is that simple, but in this town simple minded pedestrians believe and have been told they have the right of way, no matter what.

If the police would tickets the pedistrians, they would think twice before just walking into a street. The same with those walking in the bike path lanes, using them as a sidewalk.

It's just a form of population control. Walk out and get hit.

JackMcKee 1 year, 7 months ago

Walking back from the game last night I saw an entire family, three generations, grandma, grandpa, mom, dad and three little kids walk out in the middle of 9th street, in the middle of traffic. The traffic cop admonished them and told everyone else to stay put because he would direct when it was safe to cross. The family walked on without a care that they had just about caused a massive accident and risked the well being of their entire family. It's not just students and drunks doing dumb stuff.

Kat Christian 1 year, 7 months ago

PS the Reply doesn't work for me....Soooooo in reply to Tomatogrower: They most likely ignored you to prevent from getting into a confrontation because of your outburst...because who died and left you in charge of policing crosswalks? It is their responsibility to make the safest choice, however I agree with kernal that jaywalking tickets should be handed out to people who don't make these safe decisions - then perhaps people will pay more attention. A ticket should cost $20 jaywalking. That should wait these folks up.

lunacydetector 1 year, 7 months ago

i hope the girl is okay.

some of these comments just reminded me of the three asian women walking in the right lane on 23rd street during rush hour 2 weeks ago, oblivious to the sidewalk i assume. i only mention their race because i assume they are from a foreign land where traffic laws don't exist.

tomatogrower 1 year, 7 months ago

When my husband and I are walking downtown and we stop at a red light there is often someone who practically runs us over as they continue to cross the street. The other day I stated really loudly that they probably run red lights in their car too. They either ignored me or were oblivious. I vote for oblivious.

observant 1 year, 7 months ago

Saw headline. Before I clicked, figured early AM, close to KU, college age involved. Only thing not completely confirmed is amount of alcohol by both parties involved.

kernal 1 year, 7 months ago

Adults and teens walking against the light, not checking for oncoming traffic, yakking on cell phones, eyes on the pavement, stoned, drunk or just plain stupid.

Then there are the dads downtown with their toddlers, teaching them by example to walk against a red light and not holding their hand or paying attention to where they are while crossing the street.

One solution would be for the police to cite more people for jaywalking. Until recently, I hadn't heard of anyone getting a ticket for jaywalking in nearly three decades. Once word gets around that they are issuing tickets, perhaps fewer people will do it.

Liberal 1 year, 7 months ago

On Friday night I saw several kids walking up Tennessee in the street....Not a good idea. Over the last week out in West Lawrence I have seen adults walking in the street at night exercising in dark clothing...Bad idea.

People, drivers and pedestrians need to be careful.

cheeseburger 1 year, 7 months ago

'Lawrence Police Capt. Bill Cory said the woman was crossing the Ninth Street she was hit by . . .' Kind of a clunky sentence.

Jennifer Klopp 1 year, 7 months ago

Pedestrians need to cross at an approved crosswalk, especially at 1am. I wasn't sure if she did from the article. I saw a woman cross the street a few yards south of 23rd and Iowa heading toward the motel carrying a toddler on one hip, talking on her cell phone, running in flip flops. This was about 7am on a weekday. She's very lucky she didn't get hit. I would agree though, there is a mentality among KU students (or just young people in general) that they have the right of way. Drive across campus and students step out in front of cars. Walk across campus and young drivers drive thru cross walks with pedestrians present. WATCH WHAT YOU ARE DOING! Life can change in an instant. I hope the young woman will be ok.

Jennifer Klopp 1 year, 7 months ago

Pedestrians need to cross at an approved crosswalk, especially at 1am. I saw a woman cross the street a few yards south of 23rd and Iowa heading toward the motel carrying a toddler on one hip, talking on her cell phone, running in flip flops. This was about 7am on a weekday. She's very lucky she didn't get hit. I would agree though, there is a mentality among KU students (or just young people in general) that they have the right of way. Drive across campus and students step out in front of cars. Walk across campus and young drivers drive thru cross walks with pedestrians present. WATCH WHAT YOU ARE DOING! Life can change in an instant. I hope the young woman will be ok.

geekin_topekan 1 year, 7 months ago

Having the right of way does not relieve you of personal responsibility.

biggunz 1 year, 7 months ago

Please, it isn't just KU students. People all over Lawrence walk out in the street without ever looking. There's this attitude if you are a pedestrian, you get to go wherever and whenever because you have the right of way. Having the right of way does you no good when drivers don't see you and you get smashed!

muddfoot55 1 year, 7 months ago

Is the KU mentality.......yesterday afternoon on a neighborhood street 3 male students were walking down the middle of the street and could care less that I was coming at them in a car. Sorry folks...some of these people are just asking to be hit.

Eride 1 year, 7 months ago

"“I would tell drivers that they need to slow down and pay attention to what they are doing,” Cory said. “To pedestrians I would say make sure you look where you’re going before you step into the street.”"

Exactly. The drivers in this town are AWFUL. Pedistrians need to take every step to protect themselves.