Archive for Sunday, August 26, 2012

Man critically injured in pedestrian-vehicle accident on Tennessee Street

August 26, 2012, 8:36 a.m. Updated August 26, 2012, 8:39 p.m.

Lawrence police responded about 1:26 a.m. Sunday to an accident involving a pedestrian and two vehicles in the 1600 block of Tennessee.

Police Capt. Bill Cory confirmed that a pedestrian, a non-Lawrence resident, was struck by a vehicle while walking on Tennessee Street. The victim was taken by ambulance to KU Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., with critical injuries. A helicopter was unable to fly because of weather conditions.

Sgt. Trent McKinley, a Lawrence police spokesman, said the pedestrian is 18 years old and more information regarding the incident, including names and specific circumstances, likely will be released Monday morning.

Blake Albrecht of Olathe was one of the first people to respond to the accident. He said that he was in a house across the street when he heard a loud crash. He went outside, where he saw the victim pinned between two Ford Explorers. The driver of the first vehicle pulled forward unpinning the victim.

"I grabbed a hold of him and tried to keep his head flat," Albrecht said.

It was unclear at the time whether the victim was attempting to enter the back of the first vehicle, or if the vehicle had stopped in the road.

Cory said that it would take a while before the sequence of events was clear because many of the witnesses were intoxicated. There were multiple house parties in the area.

"We had to deal with a large intoxicated crowd," he said.

It was unclear at the time whether occupants of the two vehicles suffered injuries. It was also unclear if alcohol played a role in the accident.

Comments

nasto 1 year, 8 months ago

This whole thing is stupid. I was in the car behind the Explorer that hit the kid. The driver was so drunk his friends had to pull him out of the car and set his drunk @$$ on the sidewalk. In the meantime everyone that was in the second car did nothing to help the kid, they all took of running and starting dumping out all their alcoholic drinks in the lawn and girls opened the hatch and started running coolers into a nearby house. I hope the driver gets full convinction for what he did plus some. Whats pathetic is all the drunk college kids that witnessed the whole thing did not every speak up and tell anyone about the amount of booze that came out of the second car, they's rather pull out their phones and video record everything. Should be ashamed that no one would tell the truth about what truely happened when someones life is at stake. The most screwed up thing was that the cops didnt even want to take a statement from us on what we witnessed, great police department there.

nasto 1 year, 8 months ago

This whole this is stupid. I was in the car behind the Explorer that hit the kid. The driver was so drunk his friends had to pull him out of the car and set his drunk @$$ on the sidewalk. In the meantime everyone that was in the second car did nothing to help the kid, they all took of running and starting dumping out all their alcoholic drinks in the lawn and girls opened the hatch and started running coolers into a nearby house. I hope the driver gets full convinction for what he did plus some. Whats pathetic is all the drunk college kids that witnessed the whole thing did not every speak up and tell anyone about the amount of booze that came out of the second car, they's rather pull out their phones and video record everything. Should be ashamed that no one would tell the truth about what truely happened when someones life is at stake. The most screwed up thing was that the cops didnt even want to take a statement from us on what we witnessed, great police department there.

MacHeath 1 year, 8 months ago

For Christ's sake! I give up!
Good to hear the kid is ok, and has a good attitude about what happened to him. I hope his Mom doesn't blame herself. I hope the driver of the second vehicle is ok, as we are all capable of lapses in attention.....except for Mommaofcharlie, who is a perfect driver.
I mean, she is ALWAYS at the top of her game! A woman to be admired! And old one-eye-head! Danged kids anyway! I say, round em up and put em in a concentration camp! I mean, nothing good happens after midnight? Am I right? If those darned folks were home, where they should be, none of this would have happened, in the first place! Lock your doors, grab your pistol, turn on your hazard lights, and bundle up with the Good Book crooked in your arm!

woodscolt 1 year, 8 months ago

Here is a stab at what may have happened. The young man from derby was crossing the street and rather than walking in front of the car, he walked behind it and in the meantime an inattentive driver rear ended the car the man was walking behind. Man , such a sad sad way for this young mans college life to begin. Best of luck in your recovery and life as it now is.

none2 1 year, 8 months ago

He was from Derby which is a few miles south of Wichita. Here is a good article about the young man.

Clickker 1 year, 8 months ago

Colby Liston. He was going to be a track athlete at KU this spring, per the Wichita eagle.

mom_of_three 1 year, 8 months ago

wichita paper has already released his name. sounds like his head is in a good spot.

KoSho 1 year, 8 months ago

I grew up with the young man who was critically injured and have been notified of much of his progress. He is a young man of so much strength and courage and his outlook and attitude right now are beyond inspiring. He has the support of an entire community backing him up and we are all rooting for him. He knows that his life is going to be extremely different from now on but he believes this is somehow part of God's plan for him. His first statement after learning of his losses was "there was a double amputy that ran in the Olympics this year." He is determined to overcome this and to do great things with it. He had originally hoped to walk on to the KU track team later this year. However, circumstances have changed. He is dedicated to doing whatever it takes to regain his athleticism and achieve his goals. Continued thoughts and prayers for the family would be greatly appreciated. Please also think about the young man before hastily casting judgement. While the details of the incident may not be clear, the effects are. Please remember that he is an athlete, SON, BROTHER, NEWPHEW, GRANDSON, COUSIN, AND FRIEND to so many people. This is a circumstance that no one deserves and no matter what the details of the accident itself, it is going to be a long road to recovery both physically AND emotionally for this young man. Again, please remember he and his family in your prayers and thoughts. Rooting for #9!

oneeye_wilbur 1 year, 8 months ago

Just a matter of time before someone is run over while they sit on the curb after leaving The Cave. Talk about poorly lit, those "fancy" old tyme lights on the east side of Indiana are about as worthless as a small flashlight. The same lights as are on the lighted pathway which is nothing more than to direct folks to the hotel. 11th street is the main pathway and now with the new apartments at 11th and Indiana even more so. You can bet that KU makes sure trees are trimmed and removed and the area is correctly and properly lighted.

The five city commissioners do not have the b^&&&lls to instruct Crystal Miles to chop down trees on Tennessee and Kentucky. The only trees that get removed are the ones on Mass st, the protected shopping area for which those owners and merchants deem to believe is the holy grail of shopping.

When we have commissioners and a mayor that cannot even keep the downtown parking lots clean, trees trimmed and lights working, why would anyone really think they are going to do anything about Tennessee and/or Kentucky.

This will become another fiasco as was the Jason Wren episode. A case where the kid got booted from the dorms and the daddy came and went drinking with him and then moved him into a frat house.

Not sure what really happened on Tennessee st and the police won't really know either, but some dimwit owns the property where a party was and that owner like many others don't care what happens on the property as long as the rent flows.

Wilbur doesn't own any rentals in Lawrence, got rid of them but nonethless knows those who do and has told those owners repeatedly to get their collective butts out of bed at 3am and check on the places.

Sunshine says teach them in a class about how to cross the street? Sounds good, just like a class to not climb on a roof when drunk. The best lesson is to toss an egg in the street and watch it crack and splatter. There you have the lesson.

I am always reminded of my late aunt who with her husband had a son who was sent to VietNam. He died and I visited with my aunt about hit before her death, how she blamed no one accepted the death as best as she could but told me "we were very lucky, his whole body came home"..

End of story.

Kat Christian 1 year, 8 months ago

Lord help us the Students are back. Every year this happens. Car accidents and someone been hit. I hate driving Tennessee and Kentucky when the weather is warm and the students are back because they just walk right out in the street, even if they see you, even if you are driving 10 mph. or less. Perhaps a class in itself needs to be taught to these kids about how to safety cross the street. They're are not the only ones who live in this town. I try not to drive at night for fear of hitting one of these kids. And Ho-Ha why do we let this town promote party buses, and traveling bars that only encourage drinking - not to mention all the freakin bars in this town. Wonder how many alcoholics come out of this town when or if these kids finish college? I'm becoming insensitized to this now - especially this time of year because I expect it...this is no surprise. What next? Afterall did anyone view the poll asking if folks were looking forward to student's returning because the majority voted NO. Something has to change.

FalseHopeNoChange 1 year, 8 months ago

Government peeps in this government town 'need' to do something to 'save' the children. First the government institution 'lures' children here with promises of a better life, institutional sports inspired 'copious' amounts of revelry, and avenues of flamboyant sexual preening. This government inspired 'revelry' is devastating to the children.

When will the government peeps do something to 'save' the children. How many of the young have to be hurt before something is done?

bniccole 1 year, 8 months ago

this is no surprise at all. I do not like driving the one ways, especially Tennessee Street because people just walk right out in front of cars who have the right of way, without even thinking. they just assume the cars are going to stop for them. so many people get hit walking or on bicycles because they do this......sad

Eride 1 year, 8 months ago

I agree with a lot of the comments regarding how unsafe that street is in general. It has very low lighting and there is no where near sufficient space between parked vehicles and the flow of traffic. Those two things combined can make it very hard to see pedistrians even if both pedistrians and drivers are acting in a non-negligent manner (which was likely not the case in the accident above).

I think it is time that the city do the right thing and cut down a lot of the trees overhanging the public easement and install sufficient lighting down the entire length of the street. Street parking should also be banned on both sides due to the considerable amount of traffic on that stretch of roadway. The individual harmed in the accident described above may have been acting negligently, and so may the driver, but that stretch of road is dangerous and further steps need to be taken to remedy the known problem.

Bon1978 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes, everyone does have a right to their opinions, and rumors will always be spread in tragic situations. But PLEASE keep in mind "this kid" IS someone's son, grandson, brother, cousin, nephew and friend. Is it too much to ask to be mindful of the grieving families at home for ALL those involved? He is a tremendous student and athlete with a bright future ahead of him, all reasons being why he chose to attend KU and live in Lawrence. Unfortunately accidents do happen and the circumstances around that are irrelevant. Positive thoughts, energy and prayers being sent his way would make much more sense than random gossip, blaming and pointing fingers.

Sarah St. John 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm a mom of an early-20s son and this story horrifies me even more than most news stories have lately, and that's saying a lot. I feel literally sick. If the eyewitness report of NickRondo is correct.... oh, I can't even imagine what would be worse than witnessing something like that. We try to protect them from babyhood onward and then something like this can happen in a second. If the family, especially the mom, is reading this, please know you're in my prayers. My heart is aching for you.

woodscolt 1 year, 8 months ago

Recently, I was driving south on Tennessee (of course) and 3 people were walking south on Tennessee taking up almost the entire east bound lane. When I slowed down and passed them, I rolled my window down and told them that if they were new to Lawrence they should know that walking on Tennessee street is very dangerous. They reacted very belligerently towards my comment so I left them with the comment with, Did you come to Lawrence to get a college degree or did you com here to get killed. I assumed they were probably college freshman that weren't yet aware of how dangerous Tennessee and Kentucky can be. Hope they actually do survive their time in Lawrence.

MacHeath 1 year, 8 months ago

oh crap! I am agreeing with Merrill. Maybe I need my meds changed...

MacHeath 1 year, 8 months ago

Again, I hope the kid is ok. His Mom must have been horrified! It always amazes me when posters rush to judgement, with little or no information. They always have to blame someone: bad things do not happen to good people. If someone makes a horrible driving error, they have to be drunk, too old, too young, or just plain stupid. I had a poster tell me outright that she had NEVER made any sort of error driving.
I am not saying there may not be some blame to be had. There is nothing in the article to confirm what that blame might be. Having lived in several different places along Tennessee and Kentucky. I will agree that there is a lot of pedestrian traffic at all times of the night and day. I had a parked car totaled on the corner of 14th and Kentucky. I agree that more lighting would be really beneficial to all drivers and pedestrians, over the legal limit or not. We want to save lives, right? Oh is it sufficient to just carp about stupid people and drunks?

begin60 1 year, 8 months ago

Very sorry to hear this guy was injured . Best wishes for his recovery.

I was mowed down in a Columbia, MO crosswalk in broad daylight by a coed talking on a cellphone. She's like, "How else can I help you?... that fetching southern and lower Midwestern narrowly smug mindset again--- always so full of self-congratulation and totally blind to the true wishes and needs of anyone else.

It sucks to be a pedestrian in Lawrence. God, I've braved the streets and sidewalks of LO.A. and never felt nearly so unsafe.

biggunz 1 year, 8 months ago

Seriously?! It's the bars' fault. It's KU's fault. It's the city's fault. If the guy that told the story is right, it's the people who stopped on the damn street to load their car that are at fault! Come on, people have to be responsible for their safety and use some sense. The government is not able to save everyone no matter how much most of you wish it could! And before anyone tells me it's legal, not legal, blah, blah, blah....I would say "Is it a smart thing to do, or there a good chance things could go bad?". Too many people don't worry about that part.

LogicMan 1 year, 8 months ago

Just asking: how can those bars operate in a residential neighborhood? Would it make sense to buy them out someday and to flatten the buildings?

oneeye_wilbur 1 year, 8 months ago

Corliss doesn't want more street lighting. The Parks and Rec tree crew need to remove trees. Too many and quite frankly the entire oread area is an overgrown urban forest. Corliss has publicly stated he doesn't want the alleys improved as no one should walk in them. Corliss is clueless.

As for the police, they should have long before now been on foot writing tickets. As for this incident, as I read some of the comments, why is a mom picking up her son from a drunken party. What gives on that, if that be the case.

As long a people are dumb enough to cross with oncoming traffic, they will get hit. Apparenlty, the mothers no longer tell the child to not cross the street until it is clear. Clear means just that.

Personally, if the city commisison had any ba&&&Ls. they would instruct Corliss to prepare a party ordinance that requires a permit to party and then the police can go right onto the property and cite the underage and ticket as well without the permit. There is no reason that any resident in their right mind would throw a party and let it flow ont the sidewalks. When the police are called, the dispatcher simply wants to know if it is loud, what kind of noise. My reply is that it is being hosted by deaf mutes. Send the police out and see if they can hear noise. Any party after 11PM with noise that can be heard more than 50 feet away is too loud.

What happened to all of the Good Neighbor fluff that Commissioner Carter and Ms. Tuttle at KU had distributed? Looks like it didn't do much good and won't.

ResQd 1 year, 8 months ago

I use to drive Tennessee Street going south every night home from work and it's a death trap for pedestrians. It is so dark and narrow on that street from 9th street clear to the end. I see shadows sometimes of people walking or running across the street and hold my breath every time. Because of the students back into town, I've decided to change my route. More lighting would help.

ironhead80 1 year, 8 months ago

sunny 1 year, 8 months ago

Someone needs to teach all Lawrencians what it means to stop, look both ways, then cross!

observant 1 year, 8 months ago

The students are back and the drunks are partying. Anyone with any brains is off the streets by 9 PM and especially stay out of student ghetto.

90sgirl 1 year, 8 months ago

Judging by the driving I've seen in the past few weeks, I'd say it's too easy to get a license to drive.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 8 months ago

With traffic moving fast on Kentucky and Tennessee there is every reason for more street lights on these streets.

Cyclists and pedestrians wear darker colors most often so why not do cyclists,pedestrians and drivers a huge favor. Light up the damn streets and be responsible. Kentucky and Tennessee have so many dark areas.

Furthermore I submit fiscally responsible use for those 1994 sales tax dollars that would benefit many.

Create hike/bike pathways on Tennessee and Kentucky. The right of way is available aka existing sidewalks.

Widen sidewalks on the eastside of each street to accommodate both cyclists and pedestrians and light them up. Students generate enough tax dollar revenue to justify the expenditure.

Provide cross walk signs and markings at each intersection from 7th to 19th to increase awareness for drivers. Decrease speed by 5 mph from 7th to 19th

In the process the city is making it safer for women = additional rape prevention.

The investment is small compared to the safety that could be provided. KU students are worth the investment considering the number of jobs they generate and tax dollar revenue they generate. Students bring life and culture to Lawrence,Kansas. Let's keep it that way.

PhilChiles 1 year, 8 months ago

How about putting up speed bumps every ten feet on Tennessee and Kentucky streets? I'm only half joking there.

NickRondo 1 year, 8 months ago

I was there and before you guys judge me I wasn't drunk at all. I was just in the front yard with my friend, he was on the phone, and the first car pulled up in the right lane of he street and the kid ran to the car and it was the kids mom picking him up from the party. He was trying to put suff in the back of his moms trunk it was locked so he told her to unlock it all happens so fast I dont even know if he ever put what ever he had in the back of the car or not then the 2nd suv came flying in and I think the guy that got hit tried getting out of the way but not in time the guy drilled the car, the driver didn't step on the breaks at all and hit the car and pinned him I guess probably going around 35-40 mph. The guy that got hit was just out cold and for his mom I'm not sure if she was ok or not and I have no clue about the driver that hit them. I really wish I could've stayed and helped there were some kids that were there that said they were emt's and an ambulance was there within sec. I really hope he's ok though.

MacHeath 1 year, 8 months ago

Hope the kid is ok. Bad deal for the drivers of the cars too. Yeah travelinggeek..don't get drunk, as it is common to be pinned between two Fords. It happened to me several times when I was in college.

LadyJ 1 year, 8 months ago

I find it ironic that the LJW chose today to also run the story about the new website to connect "bars and barfiles" to the next party.

Beth Ennis 1 year, 8 months ago

Also, I hope this individual recovers completely from what sounds like a horrendous accident. Personally, I don't think getting drunk is worth this kind of result.

cowboy 1 year, 8 months ago

And we set up lane checks on E. 23rd... And there are still few lights on Kentucky and Tennessee...

Priorities seem to be not disrupting the bar business downtown or these checks would be at 11th and Mass , 6th and Mass , Tennessee and Kentucky simultaneously.

christy kennedy 1 year, 8 months ago

When something horrendous like this happens, the streets are filled with emergency vehicles and patrol cars of all kinds for blocks in all directions. But when I call 911 when there are literally hundreds of people walking (some staggering, many with drinks in hand) in the streets and in crowds on the sidewalks, and every few minutes somebody jumps into their car or truck and speeds off, weaving around the people in the street, I have been asked, "And you're calling because?" And I have been told that the city is divided up into a grid and that there is one officer, usually busy, for this area. Huge parties go on during certain weeks of the year and in good weather, on weekends, on game days, and everyone at KU and the city knows this. "Buddy" t-shirts and cautioning flyers are great but barely makes a dent. We are used to the noise and the mayhem (for all of you who plan on telling me to move to another neighborhood) but we will never get used to the danger faced by so many young people, some away from home for the first time. The student party areas are known and should be handled differently than some sleepy, residential area. Extra patrols are warranted, at a very minimum. These blocks where parties flow into the streets and fast-moving traffic are continually tragedies waiting to happen.

autie 1 year, 8 months ago

. It was also unclear if alcohol played a role in the accident.

un huh...And there is University right up the hill?