Archive for Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Lawrence apartment fire caused by unattended cooking, leads to $175,000 in damage

October 17, 2012

Advertisement

A Tuesday morning fire at a Lawrence apartment complex was caused by “unattended cooking” and led to $175,000 in damages, according to a news release issued by Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical.

The fire began shortly before 8 a.m. Tuesday at the Southpointe Park Villas apartment complex in the 2200 block of West 26th Street, one block west of Iowa Street.

When crews arrived, they found heavy smoke coming from the second-floor balcony of a three-story wood-framed structure. The fire was put out by about 8:30 a.m.

No one was injured, as the apartment complex residents had been evacuated by the time fire crews arrived. Two dogs were rescued from the fire.

Residents from six apartments were displaced and received assistance from the Douglas County chapter of the American Red Cross.

Comments

LadyJ 2 years, 7 months ago

"heavy smoke coming from the second-floor balcony of a three-story wood-framed structure. " Curious as to whether the cooking was being done on the balconey. Also today at 2 pm there was some sort of accident at 19th and Tennessee. There was about 5 or 6 police cars and an ambulance. Seems like a lot of police cars for a traffic accident. Any word on that?

shaunepec 2 years, 7 months ago

There's a police entry for an ambulance required, but it doesn't look like an accident, probably a medical issue. Shows there were 7 units there. Could've also been a mental health-related issue as well.

Shaun LJW

somebodynew 2 years, 7 months ago

RE: 19/Tn this afternoon. I was listening at the time and it was an injury accident with one of the drivers running off. He/she came back and there was at least one arrest for DUI, plus dispatch traffic said one of the others involved was seen trying to hide "contraband". Not sure how that played out.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.