A house near Stull sustained significant damage in a fire Thursday afternoon.
Kanwaka Township Fire Chief Duane Filkins said a man was asleep in the house, 462 N. 1700 Road, around 2 p.m. when he smelled smoke coming from the basement. The man immediately went outside and called 911.
Kanwaka firefighters arrived around 2:15 p.m., but had trouble locating the source of the fire until it burned a hole in the kitchen floor. After the hole opened, Filkins said, firefighters from Kanwaka, as well as Wakarusa and Lecompton fire districts, quickly had the fire under control. The fire lasted about an hour.
No one in the family of three living at the house was injured.
Jane Blocher of the Red Cross said the organization was providing food, shelter and clothing for the family.