Advertisement

Archive for Friday, March 30, 2012

Fire on Barker Ave. likely caused by heat gun

March 30, 2012

Advertisement

Lawrence Douglas County Fire-Medical crews pack up after extinguishing a small fire in the 1800 block of Barker Ave. Friday evening. Division chief Lyle Schwartz said the fire was caused by the occupant after he was stripping paint on the exterior wall with a heat gun.

Lawrence Douglas County Fire-Medical crews pack up after extinguishing a small fire in the 1800 block of Barker Ave. Friday evening. Division chief Lyle Schwartz said the fire was caused by the occupant after he was stripping paint on the exterior wall with a heat gun.

Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical crews extinguished a small fire in the 1800 block of Barker Avenue about 7:30 p.m. Friday. Division chief Lyle Schwartz said the fire was caused by the occupant after the heat gun he was using to strip paint from the exterior wall caused a spark. The fire was “mostly smoldering,” Schwartz said, and largely contained inside the wall of the house.

Comments

SeaFox 2 years, 9 months ago

Bad connection on a heating coil, perhaps?

How was the fire inside the wall when the paint stripping was on an exterior wall?

headdoctor 2 years, 9 months ago

Pretty simple. Heat guns are really nothing more than electric powered torch running at a lower temperature. You can start a fire pretty quickly with direct application or by heat transferring through what you are working on. Once the transferred heat reaches the combustible temperature of the material on the other side it will flame. The results are not much different than a lint fire in a clothes dryer.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.