Archive for Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Fire destroys home southwest of Lawrence

A home southwest of Lawrence on East 850 Road burns after possibly being struck by lightning about 12:45 p.m. Tuesday. In addition to Kanwaka Township, firefighters from Wakarusa Township, Eudora Township, Willow Springs Township, Lecompton and Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical responded to the fire.

March 27, 2012, 12:56 p.m. Updated March 27, 2012, 7:30 p.m.

A fire on Tuesday afternoon destroyed a rural Lawrence home southwest of the city.

Sgt. Steve Lewis of the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office said a neighbor reported the fire about 12:45 p.m. The neighbor reported hearing a lightning strike and saw flames coming from the roof of the home at 1069 East 850 Road. By the time fire crews arrived, the home was already engulfed in flames.

Dan Hardtarfer, chief of the Clinton Township Fire Department, said the home was a total loss. He said crews were still on the scene shortly after 6 p.m. The cause of the fire was still under investigation.

Firefighters from Clinton Township responded to the fire, in addition to Kanwaka Township, Eudora Township, Willow Springs Township, Lecompton and Lawrence Douglas County Fire Medical. They were still working to put out the fire at 3 p.m.

Lewis said there were no injuries and no one was in the home when the fire broke out. Hardtarfer said two cats in the home were still unaccounted for as of 6 p.m.

As firefighters fought the blaze, they heard popping noises, Hardtarfer said, which he suspected were caused by ammunition stored in the home.

The home is southeast of Clinton Lake.

Comments

LadyJ 2 years, 5 months ago

There were a lot of sirens going down Elm St in North Lawrence late this morning. Any word on what that was?

otto 2 years, 5 months ago

I'd say 350 for 35 minutes -- but then again i've never made a pie in my life -- good luck, I love apple pie and ice cream, I have no idea why the cops would be in north lawrence, they go there?

Nanna1 2 years, 5 months ago

350 F for approx. 1 hour. Sounds really good. I hope no one was in this house, or animals. I know they reported there were none. I have driven by this house many times and always thought what a beautiful home it must be. Sorry for their lose.

vermont 2 years, 5 months ago

I think the pie comment was supposed to point out how irrelevant the previous comment was. These people just lost everything they own...makes me think about how irrelevant my problems are.

verity 2 years, 5 months ago

Question: As a child I remember lightning rods being put on all buildings. It was a really big deal. I never see them anymore and have wondered why. Is something else being used? I thought maybe they were being grounded in another way, but this incident makes me wonder.

It is a terrible thing to have your home destroyed even if no lives are lost. My heart goers out to the family.