Archive for Sunday, March 18, 2012

One transported by helicopter after two-vehicle accident at 25th and Iowa streets

March 18, 2012, 4:05 p.m. Updated March 18, 2012, 4:38 p.m.

One person was extricated from this car after it was struck by a pickup truck at 25th and Iowa streets at about 3:30 p.m. Sunday. One occupant of the car was taken to KU Med by air ambulance, while the other was transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital by ambulance.

This Chevrolet truck struck a car at the intersection of 25th and Iowa streets at about 3:30 p.m. Sunday. The four occupants of the truck were not transported to hospital, though the two occupants of the other car were — one by LifeStar ambulance to KU Med.

One person was transported to Kansas University Medical Center by helicopter following a two-vehicle accident at the intersection of 25th and Iowa streets Sunday at about 3:30 p.m.

According to Joe Hoelscher, division chief with Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical, a pickup truck ran a red light at the intersection, striking a two-door car.

Emergency crews extricated at least one of the two occupants of the car. A male occupant was taken to KU Med by a LifeStar helicopter, while a female occupant was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, Hoelscher said.

None of the multiple occupants of the truck was taken to the hospital.

Hoelscher said it was not initially clear which direction the vehicles were going when the accident occurred, and he was not able to provide ages for the victims.

Check LJWorld.com for updates as they become available.

25th and Iowa Street

Comments

carsonevans 2 years ago

an update is that I, Carson Day, the one flown to the hospital did live...but have 5 broken ribs, broken pelvis, I had a punctured lung, and my back is messed up 7 ways to sunday. Its been a couple of weeks, and I can walk with a walker only short distances...and it hurts like hell. The cops and witnesses informed me that Logan Ketcherside was the driver...and tried to blame me, even though he ran a red light. Then when his passenger was questioned and confirmed he did run the red light...he tried to say he hit his breaks. Only one problem, he didnt. No skid marks. He told thecop who wrote him the ticket it was because of antilock breaks...which is crap because even antilock breaks leave skid marks...they would simply be intermittent as the antilock system engaged. This makes me so mad. I go through hell...and its his fault...and he tries to blame everyone and everything else! Oh...and the days after the accident...is he worried if i was okay? Did he tell his insurance company about it so they can begin the process of helping me pay for the damage he did to my body and my property? Nope, he was too busy posting pics from his springbreak in Vegas to bother with that. So my family has to jump through hoops to inform his insurance company what happened and to begin the claim process. Good news is, there are tons of witnesses and the police report is dead on accurate.

brotherskeeper 2 years ago

I second that. An update would be nice. I drove by as they were pulling the people out of the car and the driver of the truck was sitting on the curb with head in hands. teachable moment for my daughter.

jteacher 2 years ago

Would be nice to see an update on this story.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years ago

People run red lights a lot, and people get seriously hurt and many die because of it, that's reality.

But no one ever runs a round-a-bout, and serious injuries, let alone deaths, are virtually unheard of on round-a-bouts.

But people don't seem to like round-a-bouts for some reason.

Is it because they like funerals?

JackRipper 2 years, 1 month ago

Running red lights in Lawrence is as infrequent as the JW reporting real news.

JackRipper 2 years, 1 month ago

Running a redlight in Lawrence, it just f@@@@@g doesn't happen.

08Champs 2 years, 1 month ago

and why, gas mileage be damned, my kids first cars were older model, "heavy metal" cars - no fiberglass bumpers and panels.

sad_lawrencian 2 years, 1 month ago

I got hit once in my small 4-door sedan by a pickup-truck driver who said he didn't see me. Many of these pickup drivers forget how heavy & powerful their vehicles really are. Lots of stupid drivers too. The two occupants of the car will be in my thoughts and prayers.