Archive for Sunday, March 18, 2012

One transported by helicopter after two-vehicle accident at 25th and Iowa streets

March 18, 2012, 4:05 p.m. Updated March 18, 2012, 4:38 p.m.

One person was extricated from this car after it was struck by a pickup truck at 25th and Iowa streets at about 3:30 p.m. Sunday. One occupant of the car was taken to KU Med by air ambulance, while the other was transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital by ambulance.

This Chevrolet truck struck a car at the intersection of 25th and Iowa streets at about 3:30 p.m. Sunday. The four occupants of the truck were not transported to hospital, though the two occupants of the other car were — one by LifeStar ambulance to KU Med.

One person was transported to Kansas University Medical Center by helicopter following a two-vehicle accident at the intersection of 25th and Iowa streets Sunday at about 3:30 p.m.

According to Joe Hoelscher, division chief with Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical, a pickup truck ran a red light at the intersection, striking a two-door car.

Emergency crews extricated at least one of the two occupants of the car. A male occupant was taken to KU Med by a LifeStar helicopter, while a female occupant was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, Hoelscher said.

None of the multiple occupants of the truck was taken to the hospital.

Hoelscher said it was not initially clear which direction the vehicles were going when the accident occurred, and he was not able to provide ages for the victims.

Check LJWorld.com for updates as they become available.

25th and Iowa Street

Comments

sad_lawrencian 2 years, 9 months ago

I got hit once in my small 4-door sedan by a pickup-truck driver who said he didn't see me. Many of these pickup drivers forget how heavy & powerful their vehicles really are. Lots of stupid drivers too. The two occupants of the car will be in my thoughts and prayers.

imastinker 2 years, 9 months ago

There's bad drivers in vehicles of all sizes. It's pictures like this that remind me why my family rides around in the largest vehice I was able to find.

I hope everybody is OK.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 9 months ago

That is so very true about bad drivers in vehicles of all sizes!

A few years ago, my father gave me his old minivan, but there is nothing mini about it at all. Just yesterday I looked at the tiny vehicle beside me, it was a Honda Fit, which many claim is a very good car. They are rather expensive, even used. But they are so very small and light!

Oh, I know they have lots of air bags, but my minivan does also, and in addition to that, my van has a 5 star crash rating for the occupants in all seating positions. It is literally one of the safest vehicles on the road when colliding with a fixed object.

But, when colliding with a micro car such as the Honda Fit, it is even safer. Well, for the occupants of my vehicle anyway. It's basic physics.

If a Honda Fit were to cross the median and collide head on with my van, and we were both going 60 miles per hour, the force of the collision experienced by the occupants in my minivan would be approximately the same as if it were to collide with a fixed object at 30 miles per hour.

But for the very unfortunate occupants of the Honda Fit, it would be approximately the equivalent of colliding with a fixed object at 90 miles per hour, since the weight of the Honda Fit is about half the weight of my vehicle.

But there is another aspect to it as well. There is an effect referred to among vehicle crash experts called "the submarine effect." That means, I would just go up and over the hood of the Honda Fit or other small low slung vehicle such as that, and when the crash was all over, its wreckage would be underneath my van.

I hate driving, and I'm always very careful when I do it. So few people seem to really realize how dangerous it is, even though we all read about horrific wrecks such as this one all the time.

From looking at the crashed sedan, about all I can say is: The occupants were very, very lucky that they were not riding in one of the many very small vehicles available.

08Champs 2 years, 9 months ago

and why, gas mileage be damned, my kids first cars were older model, "heavy metal" cars - no fiberglass bumpers and panels.

grimpeur 2 years, 9 months ago

Many citizens are already packing heat. This of course has had zero effect on civility or politeness on our roads. In fact, I'm convinced that, when armed, punks with cars are more emboldened to attack, threaten, or harass others with a car

LA_Ex 2 years, 9 months ago

Nobody HAS to run red lights. If you run a red light, either you were speeding or should have failed your DMV test when you failed to realize that a yellow light means prepare to stop (not speed up).

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 9 months ago

People run red lights a lot, and people get seriously hurt and many die because of it, that's reality.

But no one ever runs a round-a-bout, and serious injuries, let alone deaths, are virtually unheard of on round-a-bouts.

But people don't seem to like round-a-bouts for some reason.

Is it because they like funerals?

Jan Faimon 2 years, 9 months ago

Would be nice to see an update on this story.

brotherskeeper 2 years, 9 months ago

I second that. An update would be nice. I drove by as they were pulling the people out of the car and the driver of the truck was sitting on the curb with head in hands. teachable moment for my daughter.

carsonevans 2 years, 8 months ago

an update is that I, Carson Day, the one flown to the hospital did live...but have 5 broken ribs, broken pelvis, I had a punctured lung, and my back is messed up 7 ways to sunday. Its been a couple of weeks, and I can walk with a walker only short distances...and it hurts like hell. The cops and witnesses informed me that Logan Ketcherside was the driver...and tried to blame me, even though he ran a red light. Then when his passenger was questioned and confirmed he did run the red light...he tried to say he hit his breaks. Only one problem, he didnt. No skid marks. He told thecop who wrote him the ticket it was because of antilock breaks...which is crap because even antilock breaks leave skid marks...they would simply be intermittent as the antilock system engaged. This makes me so mad. I go through hell...and its his fault...and he tries to blame everyone and everything else! Oh...and the days after the accident...is he worried if i was okay? Did he tell his insurance company about it so they can begin the process of helping me pay for the damage he did to my body and my property? Nope, he was too busy posting pics from his springbreak in Vegas to bother with that. So my family has to jump through hoops to inform his insurance company what happened and to begin the claim process. Good news is, there are tons of witnesses and the police report is dead on accurate.