Archive for Thursday, March 1, 2012

Judge acquits man accused of shooting Bullet the cat

Kayse Aschenbrenner, the Humane Society's director of animal welfare, holds a cat now named "Bullet" on Wednesday, June 8, 2011. The 2-year old survived two bullet wounds and was trapped near a home in North Lawrence in June. A Lawrence Municipal Court judge Thursday acquitted Jimmy R. Wilkins, who was accused of shooting the cat.

March 1, 2012, 5:14 p.m. Updated March 1, 2012, 5:28 p.m.

A Lawrence Municipal Court judge Thursday acquitted a man who was accused of shooting a stray cat last year.

Judge Scott Miller found Jimmy R. Wilkins not guilty of misdemeanor charges animal cruelty and discharging a firearm in the city limits after a more than two-hour trial.

“He’s very happy because he feels that he had a fair shake,” defense attorney Hatem Chahine said. “From the beginning he’s denied he was ever involved in the shooting.”

Prosecutors and police had accused Wilkins of shooting the 2-year-old cat — later named Bullet at the Lawrence Humane Society — after the cat was found in a trap at a mobile home park in the 100 block of Michigan Street.

Lawrence police said animal control officers rescued the cat after it was shot twice on May 29, and officers had also said a witness alleged he heard a neighbor shoot what sounded like a gun earlier in the day.

But Chahine said the city did not present evidence showing what type of ammunition the cat was shot with.

“My client denied the whole time he ever even owned a weapon,” he said, adding that police never recovered a weapon.

The defense presented evidence that Wilkins and his family have treated animals humanely, and Chahine said traps were set for stray cats in the area but that the family would either donate the animals to the humane society or free them at an area lake.

According to the humane society, Bullet recovered from his injuries, and a family later adopted him.

Comments

pissedinlawrence 2 years, 1 month ago

BS. I hope he gets shot so he can see how it feels.

demonfury 2 years, 1 month ago

Are you serious ????? This guy was arrested and charged with all this because a neighbor alleged that he heard something earlier in the day that sounded like a gun shot ??? OMG - Jimmy, please sue the crap out of the city for this. This is a tragedy of epic proportions. How much did this cost the taxpayers? What's to say that the witness wasn't the shooter, and alleged that he heard a neighbor shoot what sounded like a gun because he didn't like him? This is a trailer park we're talking about here, after all. What a waste of my tax dollars.

blindrabbit 2 years, 1 month ago

Cats already have learned to use I-Pad and have had several programs developed for them!

0day 2 years, 1 month ago

What if cats have their own Internet and they post pics of cute humans.

blindrabbit 2 years, 1 month ago

Jimmy was really messing with his luck; a black cat crossing his path some day! Id rather break a mirror or walk under a ladder. Maybe he ought to wear some garlic or next time use a silver bullet.

Jayhawk1958 2 years, 1 month ago

Wish they would have gotten Bullet's side of the story.

blindrabbit 2 years, 1 month ago

If I were Jimmy, I would be laying low; that photograph of Bullet shows a lot of revenge in those eyes.

autie 2 years, 1 month ago

I would be curious to know who has had their civil rights violated by surveillance on cars and homes and just what type of surveillance.....documentation? You have my focus edmclinn...what are you complaining about?

oldbaldguy 2 years, 1 month ago

actually animal abuse cases can be tough to prove, particularly in muni court. there has to be evidence that is admissible. i have tried several animal abuse cases in different muni courts, never lost yet and my clients were acquited.

oldbaldguy 2 years, 1 month ago

you know what you call dumped cats at tthe farm? target practice. dumping animals in the country is unacceptable, they either perish or prey on birds, rabbits or other small game.
same thing with dogs. folks that really care about pets do not dump in the country

edmclinn 2 years, 1 month ago

Why are we discussing stupid crap like this when we have Law Enforcement routinely violating civil rights in this town by using illegal surveillance on cars and homes in Lawrence. Can't we focus our attention on these VERY REAL issues with Law Enforcement today?

edmclinn 2 years, 1 month ago

Don't take stray cats to the lake please. Can I dump dog crap in your yard?

Lynn731 2 years, 1 month ago

Time to get another judge that cares about animals. How totally disgusting.. I have a black longhair cat that looks exactly as the cat involved in this story. Were I to catch anyone abusing her, shooting at her, etc. I would get something done, and I don't mean going to court before an idiot judge such as was had in this case. She can't fight back, but I sure can in her behalf!

JackMcKee 2 years, 1 month ago

What a waste of time. The DA is an idiot.

autie 2 years, 1 month ago

Why was Bullet in a trap? Why was Bullet shot? Who shot Bullet? Was Bullet framed by the LPD and Chief Olin? Did the cage have a bug? Was Jimmy framed? Did Jimmy and/or Bullet have any knowledge of Guy and Carrie? Is the LPD dirty in all this?

These and many other questions will probably never be answered. But stay tuned for another episode of, "You Bet Your Cat".

catfishturkeyhunter 2 years, 1 month ago

Id like to throw a stray cat on this mans face lmfao

its_just_math 2 years, 1 month ago

If someone shot one of my dogs, and I knew who did it, I'd be willing to spend a few days in jail and court and all that stuff, 'cause that person would be making a trip to the ER for a few stitches.

(This post pre-removed for TOS violations. )

;-/

bornon7 2 years, 1 month ago

On The Street asked if people were afraid of bugs...I'm afraid of ignorant people and those who don't like cats or dogs.

bornon7 2 years, 1 month ago

blindrabbit 2 years, 1 month ago

Farney: Best post of the week!!!

FarneyMac 2 years, 1 month ago

Can we set traps for the residents of the trailer park instead? Bait them with meth.

blindrabbit 2 years, 1 month ago

Live out near Clinton Lake; people used to dump unwanted dogs and cats out here ; many "dumpers" were college students who finished up a school year and did not want to move their "buddy" with them. Regardless, don't see too many any more, bobcats love small dogs and cats, and the "bobs" I see frequently appear to be fat and sassy.

Amy Albright 2 years, 1 month ago

"free them at an area lake"?

Dumping animals should also be a crime.

blindrabbit 2 years, 1 month ago

If I were him I don't think I would go Trick-Or-Treating on All Hallows Eve! You don't know how many of Bullet's nine lives he has remaining, payback can be hell!

mustrun80 2 years, 1 month ago

This guy should have just called it "art" and shot the cat outside city limits.

catfishturkeyhunter 2 years, 1 month ago

I can promiss you this, if you shoot my cat, I am shooting you lol. Love my Penelope.

Steve Jacob 2 years, 1 month ago

"city did not present evidence showing what type of ammunition the cat was shot with"

I don't think the LPD or DA was going full out on the investigation of a misdemeanor. .

hujiko 2 years, 1 month ago

"Wilkins and his family have been treated animals humanely"

sheesh