Archive for Thursday, March 1, 2012

Judge acquits man accused of shooting Bullet the cat

Kayse Aschenbrenner, the Humane Society's director of animal welfare, holds a cat now named "Bullet" on Wednesday, June 8, 2011. The 2-year old survived two bullet wounds and was trapped near a home in North Lawrence in June. A Lawrence Municipal Court judge Thursday acquitted Jimmy R. Wilkins, who was accused of shooting the cat.

March 1, 2012, 5:14 p.m. Updated March 1, 2012, 5:28 p.m.

A Lawrence Municipal Court judge Thursday acquitted a man who was accused of shooting a stray cat last year.

Judge Scott Miller found Jimmy R. Wilkins not guilty of misdemeanor charges animal cruelty and discharging a firearm in the city limits after a more than two-hour trial.

“He’s very happy because he feels that he had a fair shake,” defense attorney Hatem Chahine said. “From the beginning he’s denied he was ever involved in the shooting.”

Prosecutors and police had accused Wilkins of shooting the 2-year-old cat — later named Bullet at the Lawrence Humane Society — after the cat was found in a trap at a mobile home park in the 100 block of Michigan Street.

Lawrence police said animal control officers rescued the cat after it was shot twice on May 29, and officers had also said a witness alleged he heard a neighbor shoot what sounded like a gun earlier in the day.

But Chahine said the city did not present evidence showing what type of ammunition the cat was shot with.

“My client denied the whole time he ever even owned a weapon,” he said, adding that police never recovered a weapon.

The defense presented evidence that Wilkins and his family have treated animals humanely, and Chahine said traps were set for stray cats in the area but that the family would either donate the animals to the humane society or free them at an area lake.

According to the humane society, Bullet recovered from his injuries, and a family later adopted him.

Comments

hujiko 2 years, 11 months ago

"Wilkins and his family have been treated animals humanely"

sheesh

another_concerned_parent 2 years, 11 months ago

Do you happen to personally know this man and any member of his family? If not, then mayber you should think about that maybe his family might be reading the article and the comments.

Nikki May 2 years, 11 months ago

I'm sure they were referring to the sentence structure.

awas1980 2 years, 11 months ago

maybr (sic) this family of idiots should shoot at each other instead of cats?

Steve Jacob 2 years, 11 months ago

"city did not present evidence showing what type of ammunition the cat was shot with"

I don't think the LPD or DA was going full out on the investigation of a misdemeanor. .

Jeremiah Jefferson 2 years, 11 months ago

I can promiss you this, if you shoot my cat, I am shooting you lol. Love my Penelope.

Jeremiah Jefferson 2 years, 11 months ago

Your just as amazing. In fact since this clow got off, your probably the guy who really shot that cat. People like you are amazing, you probably get your jolly's off by shooting inocent animals for the fun of it. I live to hunt and hunt to live but I know shooting an animal is serious business. Look at the tag before you open your fat mouth next time.

Jeremiah Jefferson 2 years, 11 months ago

Yep Im a member of PETA alright. People eating tasty animals. Look at the tag fool. I spend almost every hour away from work either hunting, preparing to hunt or fishing. At the same rate I respect animals a great deal and to shoot a stray cat in a residential area is unacceptable

another_concerned_parent 2 years, 11 months ago

Well, observant, I do not consider you a human being. Did you ever think that a family member of this man might be reading the comments? Obviously not, or else you have thought about that before posting your comment.

deec 2 years, 11 months ago

"This was not some viscous cat" Why was it viscous? Was it an alien cat? Did Magneto use his conversion ray on the cat? Oh, and you can't really convict somebody of shooting an animal or a person because a neighbor though he might have heard a gun fired sometime earlier.

deec 2 years, 11 months ago

There was apparently no proof that he shot the cat, or that he trapped the cat, or whether the cat went in the trap before or after it was shot, or whether he even owned a gun. Was it a stray cat? Was it a pet? If a pet, was the owner ticketed for animal at large? If you let your pet run loose and it is injured, you are the guilty party. You put your pet in danger and violated the law.

Armored_One 2 years, 11 months ago

The longer I spend with my dog, the less I like human beings...

ontarget 2 years, 11 months ago

U shoot my dog; and you are history.................and dont pity me........

blindrabbit 2 years, 11 months ago

If I were him I don't think I would go Trick-Or-Treating on All Hallows Eve! You don't know how many of Bullet's nine lives he has remaining, payback can be hell!

littlexav 2 years, 11 months ago

Probably all of them... because he didn't die.

Amy Albright 2 years, 11 months ago

"free them at an area lake"?

Dumping animals should also be a crime.

costello 2 years, 11 months ago

That business about freeing the cats at the lake caught my eye too. That seems far crueler to me than taking them to the shelter - even a shelter which will euthanize them.

blindrabbit 2 years, 11 months ago

Live out near Clinton Lake; people used to dump unwanted dogs and cats out here ; many "dumpers" were college students who finished up a school year and did not want to move their "buddy" with them. Regardless, don't see too many any more, bobcats love small dogs and cats, and the "bobs" I see frequently appear to be fat and sassy.

FarneyMac 2 years, 11 months ago

Can we set traps for the residents of the trailer park instead? Bait them with meth.

bornon7 2 years, 11 months ago

On The Street asked if people were afraid of bugs...I'm afraid of ignorant people and those who don't like cats or dogs.

bornon7 2 years, 11 months ago

Jeremiah Jefferson 2 years, 11 months ago

Id like to throw a stray cat on this mans face lmfao

another_concerned_parent 2 years, 11 months ago

What did this man ever do to you to deserve a comment like this? Evidently, the witnesses were not reliable or there was not enough evidence. This case should never have gone to trial; there was insufficient evidence in the first place. The DA just prosecuted because of the nature of the crime, animal cruelty. I will put money on the fact it was probably the witnesses that committed the crime in the first place.

guess_again 2 years, 11 months ago

Sounds like one of those narratives at the end of an episode of "Soap."

JackMcKee 2 years, 11 months ago

What a waste of time. The DA is an idiot.

Nonsense 2 years, 11 months ago

Me thinks you are the idiot. The DA is in District Court. This is a city case prosecuted by the city prosecutor.

JackMcKee 2 years, 11 months ago

my mistakes are free of charge, at least.

Charles L Bloss Jr 2 years, 11 months ago

Time to get another judge that cares about animals. How totally disgusting.. I have a black longhair cat that looks exactly as the cat involved in this story. Were I to catch anyone abusing her, shooting at her, etc. I would get something done, and I don't mean going to court before an idiot judge such as was had in this case. She can't fight back, but I sure can in her behalf!

edmclinn 2 years, 11 months ago

Don't take stray cats to the lake please. Can I dump dog crap in your yard?

edmclinn 2 years, 11 months ago

Why are we discussing stupid crap like this when we have Law Enforcement routinely violating civil rights in this town by using illegal surveillance on cars and homes in Lawrence. Can't we focus our attention on these VERY REAL issues with Law Enforcement today?

MarcoPogo 2 years, 11 months ago

"Why are we discussing stupid crap like this "

...he says following his post about feces disposal.

oldbaldguy 2 years, 11 months ago

you know what you call dumped cats at tthe farm? target practice. dumping animals in the country is unacceptable, they either perish or prey on birds, rabbits or other small game.
same thing with dogs. folks that really care about pets do not dump in the country

oldbaldguy 2 years, 11 months ago

actually animal abuse cases can be tough to prove, particularly in muni court. there has to be evidence that is admissible. i have tried several animal abuse cases in different muni courts, never lost yet and my clients were acquited.

blindrabbit 2 years, 11 months ago

If I were Jimmy, I would be laying low; that photograph of Bullet shows a lot of revenge in those eyes.

Jayhawk1958 2 years, 11 months ago

Wish they would have gotten Bullet's side of the story.

blindrabbit 2 years, 11 months ago

Jimmy was really messing with his luck; a black cat crossing his path some day! Id rather break a mirror or walk under a ladder. Maybe he ought to wear some garlic or next time use a silver bullet.

blindrabbit 2 years, 11 months ago

Cats already have learned to use I-Pad and have had several programs developed for them!

pissedinlawrence 2 years, 10 months ago

BS. I hope he gets shot so he can see how it feels.