Archive for Monday, June 18, 2012

Motorcyclist hits deer on U.S. Highway 40

June 18, 2012, 10:57 a.m. Updated June 18, 2012, 1:35 p.m.

A 55-year-old Topeka man was injured Saturday morning after his motorcycle struck a deer on U.S. Highway 40 in western Douglas County.

According to a Douglas County Sheriff’s report, Gregory C. King at 7:20 a.m. was traveling east on the highway about 1 mile east of the Shawnee County line when his 1984 Honda motorcycle struck a deer in the road. King was thrown from the motorcycle. He was taken by ambulance to Stormont-Vail Regional Health Center in Topeka and was later flown to Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., for further treatment.

A deputy said when he arrived at the scene King was not wearing a helmet, and the officer found two helmets located in small cloth bags near the crash scene.

According to the accident report, family members told officers that doctors were optimistic about King’s recovery. Jill Chadwick, a KU Hospital spokeswoman, said Monday King was listed in critical condition.

Comments

JackMcKee 2 years, 9 months ago

and they should move the deer crossing sign to a safer place

Flap Doodle 2 years, 9 months ago

Keeping your helmet in a bag will keep it from getting scratched. The same can be said for your head.

John Hamm 2 years, 9 months ago

Unlike the other posters here I'm very sorry for this man's misfortune and hopes he makes it.

James Minor 2 years, 9 months ago

I wonder if he was thinking that the helmets were worth more than a buck!!!

Wangofree 2 years, 9 months ago

Greg is a good guy. This was an unfortunate event. I don't agree with anyone who decides against wearing a helmet while on 2 wheels, but we all make choices and live (or die) with the consequences.

I hope he makes a full recovery.

Goodenready0 2 years, 9 months ago

I have grown up around riders and a lot of them don't wear helmets for many of reasons. This was my dad and he has been riding since he was young. He is a very experienced rider and he chose not to wear a helmet bc of many reasons. I will say that those of u who want to crack jokes and say things on a comment page that are just inconsiderate, I just hope that nothing like this ever happens to someone you care deeply about. However I will state that my dad is a FIGHTER and he will continue to keep fighting through all this. Love ya daddy!! And I'll b seeing u soon!!!