Demetrius Jackson, a 6-foot-1, 180-pound senior basketball point guard from Marian High in Mishawaka, Ind., has received a scholarship offer from Kansas University.
Jackson, Rivals.com’s No. 70-rated player in the Class of 2013, told JayhawkSlant.com he has received offers from KU, Louisville, Notre Dame, Butler, Florida State, Illinois, Memphis, Michigan State and Xavier. Jackson said he would take some campus visits, then choose a college before the start of his senior season.
“I love everything about the school, especially the Jayhawk nation,” Jackson told JayhawkSlant.com after leading MBA Select AAU to a 17-and-under championship Sunday at the Adidas Invitational in Indianapolis.
“Also, just talking to coach (Bill) Self and coach (Norm) Roberts, they’re not only great coaches, but great guys. That really interests me, when I can sit down and have a conversation with two great people and not just have it be about basketball.”
Like Self and Roberts, Brian Flinn of future150.com attended the Adidas tourney.
“Jackson would have been the best point guard in the 17-under field had it not been for the absurd play of Hill,” Flinn said of Florida Elite’s Kasey Hill, a 6-1 guard who has committed to Florida. “He got to the rim whenever he wanted and showed how explosive he can be. He finished the final day with two 20-plus point outings.”
Possible KU recruits: Here’s a list of some other top senior prospects being recruited by KU. Of course, there could be others, as well. KU coaches do not comment on recruiting in accordance with NCAA rules.
- Anthony Barber, 6-2, 165, PG, Hampton (Va.) High: The country’s No. 9-ranked player has said he will visit KU and Alabama.
- Julius Randle, 6-9, 240, PF, Prestonwood Christian Academy, Plano, Texas: No. 2-ranked player, who was a high school teammate of KU’s Zach Peters, lists KU, Kentucky, Duke, Baylor, Texas, North Carolina, Missouri and others.
- Jermaine Lawrence, 6-9, 200, PF, Pope John XXIII High, Sparta, N.J.: No. 19-ranked player lists KU, St. John’s, Syracuse, Cincinnati, Rutgers, Florida and UNLV.
- Chris Walker, 6-9, 220, PF, Holmes County High, Bonifay, Fla.: No. 6-rated player lists KU, Florida, Kentucky, Louisville, Ohio State, UCLA and Baylor.
- Jabari Parker, 6-8, 220, SF, Chicago Simeon High: No. 1-rated player lists KU, Duke, Florida, Kentucky, North Carolina, DePaul, BYU, Georgetown, Michigan State and Stanford.
- Detrick Mostella, 6-3, 170, SG, New Hope Academy, Landover Hills, Md.: No. 69-rated player, who is originally from Alabama, tells Rivals.com he has a top three of KU, Georgetown and Texas A&M.
- Jarell Martin, 6-9, 220, PF, Madison Prep, Baton Rouge, La. No. 13-rated player lists KU, Arizona, Alabama, Baylor, Louisville, LSU, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas A&M and UCLA.
- Karviar Shepherd, 6-10, 225, C, Grace Prep, Arlington, Texas: No. 34-rated player lists KU, Baylor, Oklahoma State, SMU, TCU, Texas and UCLA.
- Allerik Freeman, 6-4, 210, SG, Findlay Prep, Henderson, Nev.: No. 39-rated player originally from Charlotte N.C., lists KU, Ohio State, Duke, Villanova, and UCLA.
- Jordan Mickey, 6-7, 210, PF, Grace Prep, Arlington, Texas: No. 51-rated player lists KU, Kentucky, Ohio State, Louisville, Alabama, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas A&M and others.
- Semi Ojeleye, 6-6, 215, SF, Ottawa High. No. 36-rated player lists KU, Arizona, Duke, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas State, Missouri, UCLA and others.
- Isaiah Lewis, 6-3, 160, SG, Christ the King, Brooklyn, N.Y.: No. 126-rated player has received offers from Oklahoma State, Seton Hall, South Florida, Memphis, Louisville, and Villanova. He also lists KU, Miami (Fla.), Washington, West Virginia, and Rhode Island.
- Marcus Lee, 6-8, 200, PF, Deer Valley High, Antioch, Calif. No. 33-rated player says KU, Arizona, Duke, Texas A&M and UCLA have all offered scholarships.
- Wayne Selden, 6-5, 225, SF, Tilton School, Tilton, N.H.: No. 21-rated player lists KU, UCLA, Virginia, Duke, UConn, Boston College, Florida and others.
- James Young, 6-6, 200, SG, Troy (Mich.) High: No. 8-rated player lists Kentucky, Arizona, KU, Missouri, Michigan State and Ohio State.
- Keith Frazier, 6-5, 185, SG, Kimball High, Dallas: No. 14-rated player lists KU, SMU, Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and others.
- Tyler Roberson, 6-8, 210, SF, Roselle Catholic, Roselle, N.J.: No. 53-rated player lists KU, Pitt, Cincinnati, UConn, Florida and many others.
- Rysheed Jordan, 6-4, 185, PG, Vaux Roberts High, Philadelphia: No. 16-rated player lists KU, Maryland, Syracuse, Rutgers, Temple, Xavier, and Villanova.
- Austin Nichols, 6-8, 193, PF, Briarcrest Christian, Eads, Tenn.: No. 43-rated player lists KU, Duke, Florida, Louisville, Ohio State, North Carolina, and others.
KU has received oral commitments from No. 28 Conner Frankamp, a 6-1 combo guard from Wichita North and No. 31 Brannen Greene, a 6-7 small forward from Tift County High, Forsyth, Ga. The Jayhawks will have at least four scholarships available, more if any non-seniors leave the program.
This, that: Former KU guard Josh Selby scored 35 points in Memphis’ 83-77 loss to Washington on Tuesday in NBA summer league play in Las Vegas. The Grizzlies’ combo guard hit 7 of 8 threes and had seven steals, one assist and two turnovers in 32 minutes. ... Former KU forward Markieff Morris had 24 points, 17 rebounds and six blocks in Phoenix’s 89-74 loss to Cleveland. ... Future KU guard Frankamp will have his injured foot in a boot four weeks, Wichita North coach Gary Squires told the Wichita Eagle. Frankamp has a hairline fracture in his left foot. Frankamp said on Sunday he’s ticketed to miss between four to eight weeks of basketball.