Archive for Sunday, February 26, 2012

Police respond to shots fired in west Lawrence early Sunday

February 26, 2012

Lawrence police responded to a report of gunshots at a west Lawrence apartment complex early Sunday morning and found several shell casings.

Emergency dispatchers received a call from a witness who heard gunfire about 2:30 a.m. near the 4700 block of West 27th Street. According to Sgt. Adam Heffley, Lawrence police department, officers were unable to locate any victims or suspects. Heffley said no damage has been reported yet, and police are still investigating the incident.

Comments

1julie1 2 years, 9 months ago

It was the Aberdeen complex. The management of that place has let it get completely out of control. They don't respond to complaints about tenants who cause problems and they won't help the neighbors who have to put up with it. I wouldn't recommend that place to anybody, especially not women living alone. It's not safe.

Erin Graham 2 years, 9 months ago

NEVER ever ever rent from Aberdeen, Alvadora or Apple Lane!!!! This is just half the reason I won't rent from them anymore. The old management was really great... when the current people took over it went to h*ll. Sketchy tenants, in my case I didn't have a working heating unit ALL winter (hello $200 electric bills for running 'emergency heat' that barely kept pipes from freezing, not to mention some pretty cold winter nights!!!) Oh, but I guess because I was a female living by myself and called enough times, they FINALLY sent someone to fix the windows that wouldn't lock -after- a girl was raped by the 'serial rapist' a few doors down! I have SO many horror stories dealing with management at that place... The girl that lived next to me had even worse luck.

Claire Williams 2 years, 9 months ago

We heard them twice, once at 2:30 am and again at 3 am. The 2nd time sounded so close, I dove to the ground off my couch. Not something I would expect to have to do in West Lawrence of all places. I second Julie's comment above-- it's not a good place to live anymore. I remember it being pretty nice 5-6 years ago, but not any longer.

eyewitness_throwaway 2 years, 9 months ago

copy of my post below...wanted to make sure this info was distributed

I live at Aberdeen South and was awake the entire night due to my work schedule. I heard multiple shots fired at two different times. I noted the exact time after each instance of gunfire. The first occured at 2:25 A.M. The second occurred at 2:58 A.M. Each time, at least 5 rounds were fired in rapid succession. But the pattern was inconsistent and slower than a fully automatic weapon. It sounded like a semi-automatic weapon fired very quickly. The sound was very distinct and was immediately identifiable as gunfire. It sounded as if it originated in the parking lot. I can still hear both patterns echoing in my head very clearly. At minimum, 10 shots were fired. I always felt safe here before. Now i'm moving. No question about it.

Claire Williams 2 years, 9 months ago

I'd like to chat with you if you have a chance, compare notes as it were. Send me a private message?

Kansas_Jayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

The shots woke me up, so I can back up your times and your descriptions. They sounded like they were right outside our bedroom window! And last weekend we saw a questionable guy peeking into windows during the middle of the day. I no longer feel safe at this place!!

beerbaron03 2 years, 9 months ago

interesting that you say this was at aberdeen and that the management is unhelpful. i've heard the same things about alvadora, which is under the same management as aberdeen.

DaniB 2 years, 9 months ago

Just ask the victims of the fire there from several years ago. They refused to let them in until after any salvageable items were destroyed by rain. Just awful.

Steve Jacob 2 years, 9 months ago

As more apartments are moving west of town, so do the problems. Enjoy!

1julie1 2 years, 9 months ago

Everyone at Aberdeen who has had to put up with this recent incident (actually two weekends straight of incidents) needs to call the office today, leave a message (because they won't have anyone there), and outline exactly what is going on. They need to identify where the problem is coming from and demand that something get done about it. People are being threatened by the trouble-makers and this is totally unacceptable.

kernal 2 years, 9 months ago

If any of you are KU students, you may want to check with student legal services and see if there's anything they can do to help you. If other tenants, read thugs, are threatening the rest of you, let the police know. I bet some of those people already have criminal records.

Aberdeen's web site shows the management is Independent Living, Inc. out of Fairway, but it looks like that business is having some problems. As for the owners - NY corporation.

Erin Graham 2 years, 9 months ago

That's an excellent idea. I hope people take your advice!

horseshoehalo1 2 years, 9 months ago

I as well live at aberdeen and have had issues with management. This is embarrassing to them, someone should email this article along with comments to corporate. I heard that they actually light a fire under their a$$ and that is how you get things done. I didn't hear gunshots last night but have had issues with my neighbors and having the cops called on them not just at night but in the middle of the day too. Some days I would just like to NOT come home to a parking lot full of cop cars and live in peace.

muddfoot55 2 years, 9 months ago

And somebody thinks we need MORE apartments in town. ...sigh...Good Grief

SeaFox 2 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, that would be bad. People might have options other than putting up with Aberdeen, then.

chocolateplease 2 years, 9 months ago

Send complaints and info to the owner of this property, since management may never tell them: jpierce@assetcampusproperties.com

chocolateplease 2 years, 9 months ago

Oops- the above email may or may not be current. Here is the company's website that owns the property. You can use the "contact us" to send them any complaints or info. Not sure the local managers will give them full information:

1julie1 2 years, 9 months ago

I couldn't find an email link there, but here are their phone numbers:

Corporate Headquarters: 713-268-5111 Regional office: 979-693-1124

The Aberdeen office is open this afternoon, but the person on duty says they can't get a hold of the manager. The Aberdeen office number is 785-838-4803.

beerbaron03 2 years, 9 months ago

that's the email of the general manager of aberbeen/alvadora. also try gmiller@assetcampusproperties - he's the assistant general manager

justagirl7 2 years, 9 months ago

Also one of the people calling and complaining last night. Went to office this morning, of course no one there but some poor college kid who had to endure the wrath of anger we brought in. Couldn't get a hold of his manager of course, had no idea what had gone on the night before, ZERO help.

eyewitness_throwaway 2 years, 9 months ago

I live at Aberdeen and was awake the entire night due to my work schedule. I heard multiple shots fired at two different times. I noted the exact time after each instance of gunfire. The first occured at 2:25 A.M. The second occurred at 2:58 A.M. Each time, at least 5 rounds were fired in rapid succession. But the pattern was inconsistent and slower than a fully automatic weapon. It sounded like a semi-automatic weapon fired very quickly. The sound was very distinct and was immediately identifiable as gunfire. It sounded as if it originated in the parking lot. I can still hear both patterns echoing in my head very clearly. At minimum, 10 shots were fired. I always felt safe here before. Now i'm moving. No question about it.

Enlightenment 2 years, 9 months ago

Perfect example of why there should be a moratorium pertaining to construction of apartments in SW Lawrence. I also believe that the proposed student rentals at the Gaslight site should not be allowed to be developed at the density they are proposing.

Enlightenment 2 years, 9 months ago

The poor management and failure to address problem tenants is going to become more prevalent as new apartments are built in the city. The surplus of apartments will create significant competition and result in lower rents. However, the lower rents also results in less money for operating expenses in which maintenance and upkeep will suffer. Also, managers that are struggling to keep high occupancy rates will be very reluctant to confront or evict problem tenants because they can't afford to have move outs. This is why the city officials need to seriously consider a moratorium on the construction of large multifamily rental developments. Especially since there has not been an increase in population in Lawrence, nor an increased number of students at KU.

independent_rebel 2 years, 9 months ago

All we do when we add apartments to this city is create sporadic ghettos where thug types hang out and act like they own the damn complex, or a bunch of illegals move into a small apartment and hang around outside all day trashing the area. Or so the rumor goes.

JackMcKee 2 years, 9 months ago

That's about 1000 feet from Sunflower elementary. Nice job, Lawrence. Your greed in apartment developments is the cause of this. Stop building apartments. Lawrence is already overpopulated with renters and rentals. And if we keep buildin these places it's just going to get worse.

poolside 2 years, 9 months ago

Has anyone looked out George Williams Way on 6th? Don't know the builder but a new complex is going up.

scaramouchepart2 2 years, 9 months ago

Aberdeen and Avedora were built by Stultz and sold to an out of town owner along with a couple others for a reported 3 to 5 milliom dollars.

brewmaster 2 years, 9 months ago

Renter-ghettos are a foregone conclusion in Lawrence because of the massive apartment developments. Of course, there are good, decent people that rent apartments. However, the sheer number of easy qualifying "multi-family" rental units that are being crammed together all over Lawrence are attracting misdemeanors, felons and generally bad people.

Despite some nice single family homes in the area, that region around Sunflower Elementary / SW JR-High is now a growing crime problem and an area to avoid because of the out-of-control high concentration of apartments. The huge increase in traffic, thugs and drugs are quickly making Sunflower / SW-Jr High an undesirable school, too.

The city leaders committed a serious breach of responsibility against Lawrence for allowing large areas of the town to become criminal thug-havens.

taucetiman 2 years, 9 months ago

I live near this area and I was woken up about this time, thinking I was hearing gunshots too. Not at this apartment complex but near it saw five shot aerial fireworks going off.

myelstin 2 years, 9 months ago

I tried to follow up with LPD about this incident today and I was told that no evidence of firearm discharge was found. This article as well as several neighbors corroborated that shell casings were found, why is the LPD then denying this?

Claire Williams 2 years, 9 months ago

It was confirmed by the officer I spoke to today. He had to take a while to get back to me because the report isn't filed yet. Another neighbor got a confirmation as well. Whoever you talked to is misinformed.

green2012 2 years, 9 months ago

All this coming from the maniac out in my front yard screaming and pounding/ringing the doorbell waking my children up at 2 AM. Dont point your fingers, obviously if the LPD had reason to believe it was us they would have entered my apt and taken names. Quit slandering us and grow up. I do believe the night before us "thugs" talked among ourselves, YOU ladies at the apt above us brought home a couple men and threw funyuns all over my porch.