Archive for Sunday, February 26, 2012

Police respond to shots fired in west Lawrence early Sunday

February 26, 2012

Lawrence police responded to a report of gunshots at a west Lawrence apartment complex early Sunday morning and found several shell casings.

Emergency dispatchers received a call from a witness who heard gunfire about 2:30 a.m. near the 4700 block of West 27th Street. According to Sgt. Adam Heffley, Lawrence police department, officers were unable to locate any victims or suspects. Heffley said no damage has been reported yet, and police are still investigating the incident.

Comments

green2012 2 years, 1 month ago

All this coming from the maniac out in my front yard screaming and pounding/ringing the doorbell waking my children up at 2 AM. Dont point your fingers, obviously if the LPD had reason to believe it was us they would have entered my apt and taken names. Quit slandering us and grow up. I do believe the night before us "thugs" talked among ourselves, YOU ladies at the apt above us brought home a couple men and threw funyuns all over my porch.

myelstin 2 years, 1 month ago

I tried to follow up with LPD about this incident today and I was told that no evidence of firearm discharge was found. This article as well as several neighbors corroborated that shell casings were found, why is the LPD then denying this?

taucetiman 2 years, 1 month ago

I live near this area and I was woken up about this time, thinking I was hearing gunshots too. Not at this apartment complex but near it saw five shot aerial fireworks going off.

brewmaster 2 years, 1 month ago

Renter-ghettos are a foregone conclusion in Lawrence because of the massive apartment developments. Of course, there are good, decent people that rent apartments. However, the sheer number of easy qualifying "multi-family" rental units that are being crammed together all over Lawrence are attracting misdemeanors, felons and generally bad people.

Despite some nice single family homes in the area, that region around Sunflower Elementary / SW JR-High is now a growing crime problem and an area to avoid because of the out-of-control high concentration of apartments. The huge increase in traffic, thugs and drugs are quickly making Sunflower / SW-Jr High an undesirable school, too.

The city leaders committed a serious breach of responsibility against Lawrence for allowing large areas of the town to become criminal thug-havens.

scaramouchepart2 2 years, 1 month ago

Aberdeen and Avedora were built by Stultz and sold to an out of town owner along with a couple others for a reported 3 to 5 milliom dollars.

poolside 2 years, 1 month ago

Has anyone looked out George Williams Way on 6th? Don't know the builder but a new complex is going up.

JackMcKee 2 years, 1 month ago

That's about 1000 feet from Sunflower elementary. Nice job, Lawrence. Your greed in apartment developments is the cause of this. Stop building apartments. Lawrence is already overpopulated with renters and rentals. And if we keep buildin these places it's just going to get worse.

independent_rebel 2 years, 1 month ago

All we do when we add apartments to this city is create sporadic ghettos where thug types hang out and act like they own the damn complex, or a bunch of illegals move into a small apartment and hang around outside all day trashing the area. Or so the rumor goes.

Enlightenment 2 years, 1 month ago

The poor management and failure to address problem tenants is going to become more prevalent as new apartments are built in the city. The surplus of apartments will create significant competition and result in lower rents. However, the lower rents also results in less money for operating expenses in which maintenance and upkeep will suffer. Also, managers that are struggling to keep high occupancy rates will be very reluctant to confront or evict problem tenants because they can't afford to have move outs. This is why the city officials need to seriously consider a moratorium on the construction of large multifamily rental developments. Especially since there has not been an increase in population in Lawrence, nor an increased number of students at KU.

Enlightenment 2 years, 1 month ago

Perfect example of why there should be a moratorium pertaining to construction of apartments in SW Lawrence. I also believe that the proposed student rentals at the Gaslight site should not be allowed to be developed at the density they are proposing.

eyewitness_throwaway 2 years, 1 month ago

I live at Aberdeen and was awake the entire night due to my work schedule. I heard multiple shots fired at two different times. I noted the exact time after each instance of gunfire. The first occured at 2:25 A.M. The second occurred at 2:58 A.M. Each time, at least 5 rounds were fired in rapid succession. But the pattern was inconsistent and slower than a fully automatic weapon. It sounded like a semi-automatic weapon fired very quickly. The sound was very distinct and was immediately identifiable as gunfire. It sounded as if it originated in the parking lot. I can still hear both patterns echoing in my head very clearly. At minimum, 10 shots were fired. I always felt safe here before. Now i'm moving. No question about it.

justagirl7 2 years, 1 month ago

Also one of the people calling and complaining last night. Went to office this morning, of course no one there but some poor college kid who had to endure the wrath of anger we brought in. Couldn't get a hold of his manager of course, had no idea what had gone on the night before, ZERO help.

chocolateplease 2 years, 1 month ago

Send complaints and info to the owner of this property, since management may never tell them: jpierce@assetcampusproperties.com

muddfoot55 2 years, 1 month ago

And somebody thinks we need MORE apartments in town. ...sigh...Good Grief

horseshoehalo1 2 years, 1 month ago

I as well live at aberdeen and have had issues with management. This is embarrassing to them, someone should email this article along with comments to corporate. I heard that they actually light a fire under their a$$ and that is how you get things done. I didn't hear gunshots last night but have had issues with my neighbors and having the cops called on them not just at night but in the middle of the day too. Some days I would just like to NOT come home to a parking lot full of cop cars and live in peace.

kernal 2 years, 1 month ago

If any of you are KU students, you may want to check with student legal services and see if there's anything they can do to help you. If other tenants, read thugs, are threatening the rest of you, let the police know. I bet some of those people already have criminal records.

Aberdeen's web site shows the management is Independent Living, Inc. out of Fairway, but it looks like that business is having some problems. As for the owners - NY corporation.

1julie1 2 years, 1 month ago

Everyone at Aberdeen who has had to put up with this recent incident (actually two weekends straight of incidents) needs to call the office today, leave a message (because they won't have anyone there), and outline exactly what is going on. They need to identify where the problem is coming from and demand that something get done about it. People are being threatened by the trouble-makers and this is totally unacceptable.

Steve Jacob 2 years, 1 month ago

As more apartments are moving west of town, so do the problems. Enjoy!

beerbaron03 2 years, 1 month ago

interesting that you say this was at aberdeen and that the management is unhelpful. i've heard the same things about alvadora, which is under the same management as aberdeen.

Claire Williams 2 years, 1 month ago

We heard them twice, once at 2:30 am and again at 3 am. The 2nd time sounded so close, I dove to the ground off my couch. Not something I would expect to have to do in West Lawrence of all places. I second Julie's comment above-- it's not a good place to live anymore. I remember it being pretty nice 5-6 years ago, but not any longer.

1julie1 2 years, 1 month ago

It was the Aberdeen complex. The management of that place has let it get completely out of control. They don't respond to complaints about tenants who cause problems and they won't help the neighbors who have to put up with it. I wouldn't recommend that place to anybody, especially not women living alone. It's not safe.