Douglas County prosecutors are asking a judge to order a 54-year-old Lawrence man convicted of sexually abusing a 5-year-old girl in the 1990s to remain in state custody for treatment.
Christopher John Saemisch was convicted in 1999 on one count of aggravated indecent liberties with a child. Warren Burket, a Lawrence police detective, testified Monday during the bench trial that federal and local investigators in 1996 served a search warrant at Saemisch’s apartment and recovered 70 to 80 videotapes as part of child pornography investigation. Burket said there was evidence on the tapes Saemisch had molested the girl, which eventually led to the Douglas County conviction.
Douglas County prosecutors argue Saemisch needs more treatment for pedophilia in state custody. They are asking District Judge Michael Malone to designate him a sexually violent predator likely to re-offend, which would not allow him to be released on parole right away.
Dr. Bradford Sutherland, a clinical psychologist, during part of his testimony Monday said that he did not believe Saemisch had been responsive to past treatment and that he was likely to re-offend.
Saemisch’s trial will continue at 9 a.m. Tuesday.