Advertisement

Archive for Thursday, August 23, 2012

Firefighters: Fire at Sigma Chi fraternity caused by construction work

August 23, 2012, 3:42 p.m. Updated August 23, 2012, 3:59 p.m.

Advertisement

A fire Wednesday afternoon at the Sigma Chi Fraternity house caused more than $150,000 in damage, fire officials said.

Division Chief Eve Tolefree, a Lawrence Douglas County Fire Medical spokeswoman, said Thursday investigators determined the fire at the house, 1439 Tenn., was an accident caused by construction work on the outside of the house, which is just east of the Kansas University campus.

The fire, which was reported about 3:15 p.m. when someone noticed smoke coming from the roof, was under control about 5:30 p.m.

Chapter President Blaine Kaehr said four members had to move from rooms that were damaged.

“Restoration and repairs are underway,” he said. “The men of Sigma Chi appreciate the efforts of the fire and police departments and offers of assistance from the university and neighbors.”

All 82 members made it out safely, and they were allowed to return to the house Wednesday night, Tolefree said.

According to Douglas County records, the property is valued at more than $1.6 million.

Crews respond to fire at Sigma Chi

Lawrence Douglas County Fire Medical personnel responded to a fire on Wednesday, Aug. 22, 2012, at the Sigma Chi fraternity, 1439 Tenn., around 3:55 p.m. Crews worked to douse smoldering flames on the roof on the northeast side of the house. Members of the fraternity were able to move back into the house Wednesday evening. Enlarge video

Comments

Pywacket 1 year, 7 months ago

Construction/restoration fires seem to happen fairly often. Carelessness? Lack of training on materials or procedures? People should not have to worry that the work being done on their home is going to burn the place down!

Glad no one was hurt.

0

Commenting has been disabled for this item.