Archive for Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Man shot at Heatherwood Apartments; suspects flee in silver Honda

Potential witnesses wait to be interviewed by law enforcement officials following a shooting on Wednesday, April 18, 2012 at the Heatherwood Valley Apartments, 2000 Heatherwood Drive.

April 18, 2012, 5:22 p.m. Updated April 18, 2012, 9:57 p.m.

Shooting at Heatherwood Valley Apartments

A witness gives her account following a shooting at the Heatherwood Valley Apartments early Wednesday evening. Enlarge video

Location of shooting

Lawrence police and medics were called about 5 p.m. Wednesday to a shooting outside an apartment building in the 2000 block of Heatherwood Drive, northeast of Clinton Parkway and Kasold Drive.

The sole victim is a 28-year-old Lawrence man who was shot in the leg. He was transported by ground ambulance to Overland Park Regional Medical Center and, as of Wednesday night, was in stable condition with non-life-threatening injuries, according to a media release from Lawrence Police Capt. Paul Fellers.

According to dispatch traffic at the time of the shooting, police asked for help in locating two possible suspects. They were described as black men seen running from the west door of a building at the Heatherwood Valley Apartments, 2000 Heatherwood Drive.

The suspects were reported to be last seen heading south in a silver four-door Honda Accord. One suspect is described as a heavy-built 5-foot-10 to 6-feet tall, wearing a blue shirt with white on it. He has short hair. The second suspect is described as 5-foot-9, wearing a dark-colored shirt. No suspects had been identified or apprehended as of Wednesday night.

Neighbors at the scene described seeing a prolonged verbal fight between two men that eventually escalated into the shooting. Complex resident Elizabeth Gragg said she saw a man on the ground with a single gunshot to the leg after hearing five to seven shots.

Fellers asked that anyone with information call the Douglas County Crime Stoppers at 843-TIPS.

Comments

Curtis Martell 2 years, 8 months ago

I heard 6 to 8 pistol shots. Many sirens within 3-4 minutes. I live nearby.

TheyCallMeDrBob 2 years, 8 months ago

here we are again..more gun play ..when will it stop?

Dan Stohs 2 years, 8 months ago

So hand gun owners that don't go shooting in public at other people should be punished for retards like these? Cmon now don't try taking away our 2nd amendment.

Dan Spurgin 2 years, 8 months ago

More guns. More of this. As much as you'd like to think you're unconnected to these folks, you aren't. Fighting for liberal gun policy is fighting for more shootings like this -- whether you realize it or not. When you sew "NO GUN CONTROL" this is what you reap.

So you think the "solution" is for me to have a gun too so I can shoot back? How 'bout none of us have guns. I think that sounds far safer not just for me... but for my wife and young son.

cozborn 2 years, 8 months ago

even if they ban guns, criminals will still have them, so whats the point

Firefighter10 2 years, 8 months ago

I get where you're coming from I really do. However...I will NOT give up the pistols kept in my home for protection because of some uninformed citizen crying that all gunowners are irresponsible.

It is my right to protect my family from anyone dumb enough to enter my home uninvited.

And you're stupid to think that banning guns will end the problem. Making them illegal will just encourage the underground gun trade where they will NOT screen protective buyers.

Currahee 2 years, 8 months ago

No, the idea is that the law breaker doesn't care about laws. So when you ban all guns and there's people smuggling guns from Mexico, and that guy buys that gun from the black market and points it in your face, what are you going to do? Guns will always be around like everything else in this world. It only takes a few bad eggs to spoil the basket. A majority of gun owners play it safe. They understand what these things do. They understand that guns are NOT toys. When someone busts in your home, who is going to defend you? Police are always going to be a reactionary force- because they can't be everywhere at all times. Guns are always going to be your first and last line of defense. If you don't like it, then don't get a gun and leave it at that. But please don't scream, "The republicans are trying to take away my freedoms" while you go do the same thing.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 8 months ago

Do you have any evidence to back up the claim that the millions of responsible gun owners are part of the cause of gun violence?

parrothead8 2 years, 8 months ago

Don't go trying to call not having a gun "punishment." I don't have a gun, and I don't feel it's a punishment.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 8 months ago

You and the Mope, waiting for another opportunity to gut the Constitution.

TheyCallMeDrBob 2 years, 8 months ago

do we hold the land-lord of these place to whom they rent to..it's all about the money...

Flap Doodle 2 years, 8 months ago

Would you care to restate that in English?

audvisartist 2 years, 8 months ago

Black, white, Latino, it doesn't matter. If you resort to guns to resolve a disagreement, instead of using your brains (or at worst your fists), you're a p**sy.

TheyCallMeDrBob 2 years, 8 months ago

oooo. did i say something about the wrong??

Jeremiah Jefferson 2 years, 8 months ago

I think its funny that so many people think Lawrence is above Topeka. Correct me if I am wrong, but this is the second shooting in less than a week for Lawrence. Thats not that bad I guess..

TheyCallMeDrBob 2 years, 8 months ago

just wait untill a bullet come in your front-room wall..with the luv one's looking for a place to hide,,

TheyCallMeDrBob 2 years, 8 months ago

Steve Jacob 2 years, 8 months ago

At least they are bad shots, 5-7 shots the best they could do was shot him in the leg. LPD usually catches the people who shoot guns, so they will be caught soon.

cozborn 2 years, 8 months ago

people from lv usually finish the job

Christine Anderson 2 years, 8 months ago

Oh-my-Lord. Saw the same car about 3 p.m. today, with a carload of males. One of the men was yelling serious threats at a woman.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 8 months ago

This information may be relevant, at least it couldn't hurt to contact the LPD.

Christine Anderson 2 years, 8 months ago

Indeed, I have. I also have recalled the name I heard the woman calling too.

possible 2 years, 8 months ago

WHAT THE HECK DOES THIS HAS TO DO WITH BLACKS OR LATINOS!!!!! WHITES DO JUST AS MUCH KILLING AS ANY OTHER RACE IT'S JUST NOT BEING PUBLISHED. I SEE NOW YOU DO NOT WATCH THE A&E CHANNEL. THE WORLD WILL BE A BETTER PLACE IF PEOPLE STOP FOCUSING ON JUST "BLACKS' !!!! AND MOST WHITES ARE KILLED BY WHITES AS WELL IT JUST DON'T MAKE THE HEADLINES!!!!!

possible 2 years, 8 months ago

Greg Cooper 2 years, 8 months ago

And your information comes from where? Not disputing, but it is my experience that this is not right. I'd be happy to look at some information upholding your post.

whats_going_on 2 years, 8 months ago

ugh, I used to be a delivery driver and had to come to these apartments at least once a week. I was very uneasy each time...creepy place.

frankfussman 2 years, 8 months ago

Again, why didn't the injured man get taken to LMH? Does it lack a trauma ward?

DillonBarnes 2 years, 8 months ago

Actually no, I don't think LMH's emergency room has trauma capability.

sad_lawrencian 2 years, 8 months ago

This apartment complex is managed by a horrible company, "Asset Management Plus". I would also say that Heatherwood Valley Apts are, arguably, the most decrepit rental units in Lawrence. No surprise something like this happened there, although I feel for the victim. I would advise any residents to get the heck out of there.

Christine Anderson 2 years, 8 months ago

Believe me, we would all be gone if we had any other place to live. Also, Asset Management Plus has not been here for about four months now. The new "outfit"- Yarco of K.C., is a nightmare.

Amy Heeter 2 years, 8 months ago

A lot of people ate moving out. I bet more will now

sad_lawrencian 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm "sorry" to hear Asset Plus has left town. Do you know what happened to them?

Amy Heeter 2 years, 8 months ago

The yarco company out of kc took over in december. But yeah a dump

brewmaster 2 years, 8 months ago

If you want to know the trueth about crime, offenders and victims then read the 2005 Justice Department report - Criminal Victimization in the United States. Also, read sociologist Lee Ellis' research on r/K theory regarding race and genetics.

It is not racist, its just fact.

tenzie1958 2 years, 8 months ago

Guns don't kill people, people kill people!

Amy Heeter 2 years, 8 months ago

Because the property manager allows the behavior despite the fact the behaviors are prohibited in the lease. They don't do background checks but instead pocket the feed charged. Police here now to talk to the victims girl friend. The victim know the shooters but til police to f off and said he won't tell them. I say its time to evict them but nope the whole staff left for pool training. The managers lack of action shows he died not care about tenant safety. Unless you live or have lived in heatherwood you have no clue, nor the right yo question how those of us who do feel.

Christine Anderson 2 years, 8 months ago

Pool training ??? Personally, I liked Asset Plus. I didn't have one negative experience with them. I could be mistaken, but any time the victim refuses to name the offender, I start thinking gang and/or drug activity. No one deserves to be shot, but come on, be man enough to say who did it, so they can be caught. I literally stayed up all last night to keep watch over my son, and fear that the shooter(s) would come back. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who is still scared. What's to say that the shooter(s) won't come back to "get" the victim's girlfriend?

Amy Heeter 2 years, 8 months ago

You are not alone. Check the note on the office door.

the_realest_mccoy 2 years, 8 months ago

Why does the headline read, "Possible Shooting"? A man got shot. It's definitely a shooting. Duh!

kernal 2 years, 8 months ago

Note the time the story was originally posted, the time the police were called and the fact the story was updated later in the evening after the LPD gave LJW the rest of the facts.

DrQuack 2 years, 8 months ago

Why did the description not list the shooter's race? That would be very helpful in identifying the shooter. Is this being politically correct? And, another "poster" was right: Topeka has an overflow of young criminals who target Lawrence.

costello 2 years, 8 months ago

Actually I've noticed the opposite. When the criminal's race isn't mentioned, he's white.

Anyway the suspects' race is mentioned (my emphasis):

"According to dispatch traffic at the time of the shooting, police asked for help in locating two possible suspects. They were described as black men seen running from the west door of a building ..."

possible 2 years, 8 months ago

YOU DO THE MATH IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT RACE IS GIVEN. DON'T TRY TO TURN THIS INTO A BLACK OR WHITE ISSUE .........YOUR VERY IGNORANT GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!!!

brujablanco 2 years, 8 months ago

JackMcKee 2 years, 8 months ago

Welcome to a city where >50% of residents are renters. It's only going to get worse.

possible 2 years, 8 months ago

SOME PEOPLE ARE VERY QUICK TO POST STUPID COMMENTS PERTAINING TO SOMEONE RACE AND TALKING ABOUT THE WELFARE SYSTEM. PEOPLE NEED TO LEARN TO STAY OUT OF OTHER PEOPLE BUSINESSES AND STOP COMMENTING ON THE SITUATION WHEN YOU DON'T KNOW THE FACTS. OPINIONS ARE LIKE *HOLES EVERYBODY HAS ONE. FOR THE ONES WHO WERE THERE THOSE ARE THE ONES THAT KNOW WHAT REALLY OCCURED BUT INSTEAD THEY NEVER TELL IT LIKE THEY SAW IT OR HEAR IT THEY EITHER GOING TO TAKE AWAY FROM WHAT REALLY HAPPEN OR ADD TO IT. THEREFORE DON'T NOBODY KNOW THE REAL DEAL BUT THE PERSON WHO DID THE SHOOTING AND THE ONE WHO GOT SHOT. IT'S WAY MORE TO THE STORY THAT IS BEEN TOLD. ASK YOURSELF THIS QUESTION WHAT DID HE DO TO THE PERSON THAT IS BEING ACCUSED OF THE SHOOTING? WAS HIS LIFE AT THREAT? PEOPLE NEED TO STOP ASSUMING AND STOP COMMENTING ON THE SITUATION WHEN THEY KNOW THE WHOLE ENTIRE STORY!!! THE YOUNG MAN THAT GOT SHOT PREVIOUSLY ROBBED A YOUNG MAN SATURDAY NIGHT AT GUNPOINT!!! HE RECENTLY WAS CHARGED WITH SELLING A YOUNG LADY A DRUG SHE OVERDOSED ON THAT RESULTED IN HER DEATH. HE WAS TRIED AND ACQUITTED. I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT HE IS KNOWN FOR ROBBING PEOPLE AT GUN POINT. I WAS OUT THERE WHEN HE PULLED UP AND GOT OUT HIS CAR WITH A LOADED GUN AND LEFT THE SCENE AND CAME BACK!!!! NOW EVERYBODY WANA FEEL SORRY FOR HIM CAUSE HE GOT SHOT. THIS ALL STARTED FROM HIM THIS SITUATION COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED BECAUSE SOME OF THESE YOUNG MEN RUNNING AROUND THINKING JUST BECAUSE THEY HAVE A GUN THAT THEY CAN PULL IT ON ANYBODY AND THAT'S NOT RIGHT!!!! ALL THIS STUFF TALKING ABOUT THE RACE WELFARE SYSTEM, LANDLORDS, SECTION 8 ETC. IS IRRELAVANT!!!! THIS SHOOTING COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED IF THE VICTIM WASNT TRYING TO PLAY MR. BILLY BAD A!

possible 2 years, 8 months ago

You need to use the delete key Mr. know it all and u to are entitled to your opinion as well!!!!

jaywalker 2 years, 8 months ago

"the young man that got shot previously robbed a young man saturday night at gunpoint!!!"

That right? Instead of chastising folks on here w/ something that resembles the English language, perhaps steppin' up and speaking to the authorities would be time better spent.

" this shooting could have been avoided if the victim wasnt trying to play mr. billy bad a**!"

Utterly brilliant. After your idiotic admission of prior knowledge on a public chat board, I'd say "this shooting could have been avoided" if you'd stepped up and turned him in for the robbery, don'tcha think, haaaayuk?

Christine Anderson 2 years, 8 months ago

Of course, one person robbng another is wrong. What troubles me most about your post is , "ask yourself this question what did he do to the person that is being accused of the shooting? ". Sir, even if the victim has wronged the shooter, that does not make it okay to shoot back!! The only exception to this is if someone is breaking into your home, and you shoot to defend yourself. Come on now, we all know that was not the case here. Have you noticed how many children there are at Heatherwood? Do you not realize that someone's baby could have been caught in the crossfire?

I understand you resenting the comments pertaining to race, Sec 8, and whether or not a person is on welfare. I hear you on that, because thugs and idiots come in all races, and not everyone who receives welfare or Sec 8 behaves this way. I beg you to realize that although thieves, robbers, and drug dealers are the scum of the earth, so is the shooter or shooters. Also, if you have information, I beg you to call the police. You can share information anonymously, you know. detective can even meet you somewhere else if you are scared to be seen talking to the cops.

possible 2 years, 8 months ago

FIRST OF ALL IM NOT U MR. MADE_IN_CHINA I DON'T DEAL WITH THE POLICE AND I DON'T HAVE TO SAVE **** NOW RUN AND TELL THAT!!!!!

possible 2 years, 8 months ago

DUHHHHHH.............you must be under the impression that im dumb or something to that effect. Who don't know that a isp address can be looked up and they can do whatever the hell they want. Have you ever heard of the First Amendment "Freedom of Speech" . I have the right to voice my opinion just as well as you. Who the hell are you to speak on what I wrote any way? And they can seize what the hell they want and I can't be made to do anything, hell im voicing my opinion which im entitled to do so!!!!!

jaywalker 2 years, 8 months ago

".you must be under the impression that im dumb or something to that effect. "

Impression? Ummmm..............................let's see....................

"first of all im not u mr. made_in_china"

I thought the lyric was "I'm not your steppin' stone"...........

"i don't have to (save) ****"

No, you don't have to save nothin'. You will have to SAY ****, otherwise it's called obstruction of justice.

"I have the right to voice my opinion"

So the alleged crimes you witnessed are actually just opinion. 'Mkay.

"Who the hell are you to speak on what I wrote any way?"

Ummmm, this is an internet CHAT board. Kinda the whole point really.

So is it an impression or something to that effect? Naw, I'm pretty certain.

jaywalker 2 years, 8 months ago

Looks like 'possible' hasn't made it back to the library yet today.

Kathy Getto 2 years, 8 months ago

This may be true, but folks such as this LOVE to be in the limelight and pretend to be heroes or victims. Must be genetic - but you already know that.

Amy Heeter 2 years, 8 months ago

Yes but they apparently can not take on injuries that serious.

Amy Heeter 2 years, 8 months ago

And to clarify the previous comment that was removed. Miss gragg is a brunette not a blonde. And she was the first responder who helped the victim. She also spoke to the police as she ran into the two shooters who ran through the building. So think before you criticise one of the heroes in this situation.

doc1 2 years, 8 months ago

Where is the description of the suspects other than height. White? Black? Asian? Hispanic? Did I miss something?