Archive for Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Vehicle crashes into apartment building on West 24th Terrace; one transported to hospital

A 1985 Chevy Camaro crashed into Gazebo Apartments on the 2400 block of West 24th Street just before 1 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 27, 2011.

September 27, 2011

Ernie Bone couldn't sleep, so he settled down in his living room at Gazebo Apartments with a video game. Little did he know that he would see something straight out of "Grand Theft Auto" on his doorstep shortly before 1 a.m.

"All of a sudden I heard a screech. I looked outside and I heard a thud. Next thing I know there's a car sitting at the front door," Bone said.

An 18-year-old Lawrence man, who was the vehicle's lone occupant, was driving northbound in a 1985 Chevy Camaro on Melrose Lane and took the curve west on to West 24th Terrace when he "did not negotiate the turn into the driveway," said Lawrence Police Sgt. Susan Hadl. The car jumped the curb and came crashing into Bone's apartment building on the 2400 block of the street.

The upper deck of the building was destroyed and the wall of lower level was damaged.

The driver was transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital with minor injuries, where he refused treatment, Hadl said. Police are investigating the possibility of alcohol being involved.

An estimate of damage to the building was unavailable early Tuesday morning.

Comments

LadyJ 3 years, 3 months ago

Think they will be friends too much longer?

RoeDapple 3 years, 3 months ago

18 years old . . . throttle stuck . . . yeah. Would like to meet the cop that hasn't heard that excuse.

Liberty275 3 years, 3 months ago

honestly offisker. ab157rsg982 no i have nots been drankin sar.

Kontum1972 3 years, 3 months ago

this person does not need to be driving a motor vehicle anymore....next time he will kill someone..

effiesgirl 3 years, 2 months ago

Until you know this boy you do not have the right to judge him!

somedude20 3 years, 3 months ago

How did the 18 year old kid get the booze? I wonder if back in the days of using horses for transportation if the rider was drunk, did he crash the horse into buildings or tents? Doubt it though cause the horse would get angry and buck off the rider. Cowboys don't let drunk cowboys ride horses

LadyJ 3 years, 3 months ago

The will trained horse stopped and waited if the rider fell off till he woke up and got back on. Or so my uncle claimed his horse always did.

Shane Garrett 3 years, 3 months ago

I agree. We should allow drunk 18 year olds to operate an Amish style horse and buggy. That will keep them safe. ;)

CreatureComforts 3 years, 3 months ago

It would have been even worse if he had been out at 2 AM in the afternoon!

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

article could use a lil copyedit, ya think?

Hadl said the driver reported that the vehicle's throttle stuck open and caused him to accelerate while making the turn. The man also reported to police that the car belonged to a friend. The upper deck of building was destroyed and the wall of lower level was damaged. "The first thing I was thinking was just that I'm glad it didn't come in through the front way, because I would have probably been hurt or killed," said Bone, who lives there with his roommate. Neither were injured and the upper-level apartment was unoccupied.

---"upper deck of building?"

left hand of copyedit?

when they cut my copyedit pay in half, I took a strike for the summer. hasn't help: 1/2*0$=0

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

other points in his life, his "throttle gets stuck" too?

Phone_Man 3 years, 3 months ago

As we have learned from our K-10 debates speed does not cause accidents; inattentive driving causes accidents. The stuck throttle and possible high rate of speed had nothing to do with this accident; it was his inattentive driving.

effiesgirl 3 years, 2 months ago

Until you been in this boys shoes who is working full time to support himself. DONT JUDGE would you like someone to judge you they are called accidents for a reason. I would love to see half of you try to live the life this boy has lived you could NOT do it

effiesgirl 3 years, 2 months ago

Joe Berns 3 years, 2 months ago

I've had a throttle stick on a vehicle and it scared the crap out of me. Also had brakes go out and I plowed through a barbed wire fence and finally the truck stopped (old 60 something chevy)

At any rate, everyone is talking about alcohol when we don't even know if it was involved. Chill out until we get more info.