Archive for Thursday, September 8, 2011

$3,600 bicycle stolen from west Lawrence home

September 8, 2011

A 56-year-old Lawrence man reported to police that someone stole his black Trek bicycle valued at $3,600 in a burglary between 8:45 a.m. and 11 a.m. Monday in the 300 block of Homestead Drive north of Lawrence Avenue and Trail Road.

Comments

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 5 months ago

A black Trek bicycle valued at $3,600? Wow, that is amazing.

I have a Trek bicycle also. But mine is gray and black.

I bought it brand new, and I'm looking at the receipt right now.

It cost $299.98.

But with the kickstand, the lock, and the tax, it all added up to $354.03.

rbwaa 3 years, 5 months ago

surely this is a typo - but if it isn't why would anyone leave a bicycle that expensive where someone could steal it?

David Roberts 3 years, 5 months ago

Where in the article does it tell you it was left "where someone could steal it?"

MarcoPogo 3 years, 5 months ago

You're right. That bike was totally somewhere where no one could possibly steal it.

Curtis Martell 3 years, 5 months ago

It's not really amazing that a bike would cost that much. Take a look at the Trek website to see their full line of bikes. Technology has been applied to bicycles in the past couple of decades. The same bikes that professionals ride are also available to anyone who has the money to spend. If you can buy a automobile for $500,000 (or more) surely a $3,600 bike is not out of the realm of possibility. Also the home was burglarized and the bike was not left where someone could steal it.

John Spencer 3 years, 5 months ago

Ron, just cause you bought the cheapest Trek bike, doesn't mean there are not more expensive ones: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/cross_country/superfly (Trek makes bikes from 399-12K+)

rbwaa, it was a BURGLARY, someone broke into his home(or garage), following your line of thinking, where could someone keep a bike, that someone else could not steal it?

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 5 months ago

Oh, I am very aware of what you're saying.

It's just like someone I know that just had to buy a sports car for $75,000.

Meanwhile, I always drove a junker.

And today, my net worth is $750,000 greater than his.

Because, I'm dead broke.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 5 months ago

There's a little more to the story.

Only five years after he bought his $75,000 sports car he had no choice but to sell it, out of financial necessity.

He got $25,000 for it.

drake 3 years, 5 months ago

Someone who spent $3600 on a bicycle has already been robbed.

drake 3 years, 5 months ago

Someone who spent $3600 on a bicycle has already been robbed.

ThatGirl2 3 years, 5 months ago

Clearly no one commenting here is a triathlete or they would totally understand why someone might own a more expensive bike.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 5 months ago

I hope they don't depreciate as quickly as the new Mercedes Benz SLK AMG.

ThatGirl2 3 years, 5 months ago

I don't see the connection between a piece of sporting equipment and a car.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 5 months ago

de·pre·ci·a·tion (d-prsh-shn) n. 1. A decrease or loss in value, as because of age, wear, or market conditions. 2. Accounting An allowance made for a loss in value of property. 3. Reduction in the purchasing value of money. 4. An instance of disparaging or belittlement.

ThatGirl2 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm sorry, I didn't say I didn't know the definition of depreciation, did I? I said I missed the connection between an automobile, and sports equipment.

Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed, or are you always an a$$?

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 5 months ago

Apparently you don't recognize joking when you see it.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 5 months ago

I never claimed it was a good one!

(actually it was sort of an inside dig at someone I know personally, without knowing the whole situation it wouldn't be possible for anyone to really understand it)

classclown 3 years, 5 months ago

ThatGirl2 (anonymous) says…

=============================================

Nor do they understand why anyone would be a triathlete.

Jeremiah Jefferson 3 years, 5 months ago

I used to have a real Voodoo Hoodoo hardtail Mountain bike that cost me nearly $1200. If you take bicycling serious at any level weather its road biking mountain biking, bmx or free style, it doesn't pay to buy a cheap bike. A $300 bike will last about 30 minutes of hard single track mountain biking, or atleast the way I ride it would only last that long. $3600 ain't cheap, but thats not the worst. some bikes can go in upwards of 5k. I always carried my bike up to my apartment.....

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 5 months ago

A $300 bike lasts a very long time on the sidewalk.

Especially if you only take it out only a few times a year.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 5 months ago

I have to get over that repeated word problem!