Archive for Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Man, 30, pleads guilty to child abuse charges; grandmother alerts police

October 18, 2011

A 30-year-old Lawrence man has pleaded guilty to two counts of child abuse for a July incident involving two boys who were 14 and 12 at the time.

Stanley E. Burleson entered the guilty pleas in front of District Judge Peggy Kittel on Monday afternoon, according to Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson’s office.

Burleson had faced a trial on four counts of child abuse and one count of making a criminal threat. In an August preliminary hearing, prosecutors accused Burleson of striking his girlfriend’s sons with a belt inside their home on two separate occasions and at one point standing over the older boy with his hand around the boy’s throat. Burleson had told a detective he didn’t believe he had abused the boys, who received treatment later at Lawrence Memorial Hospital for bruising and other injuries.

Burleson, who also had been living in the home, told police the boys had disobeyed his instructions about going to a swimming pool.

Police also testified the boys’ mother, Laura L. Sanders, 34, had struck the boys with a belt when she came home a few hours later. She faces two counts of child abuse and a preliminary hearing Nov. 8.

The boys’ grandmother had called police initially, and the boys were later taken into protective custody. Kittel is scheduled to sentence Burleson at 10 a.m. Nov. 18.

Comments

akt2 3 years, 2 months ago

The dysfunctional losers only like to beat on kids. Grandma took care of it.

acg 3 years, 2 months ago

This prob won't be a very popular post but here goes: I think putting his hands around the boy's throat was over the line, sure, but spanking them with a belt is not going to hurt those kids. Spare the rod and all of that jazz. The reason that so many children are mouthy, rude, lazy, hateful, spoiled and nasty these days is there is no discipline anymore. None at home, none at school and none in the court system. In my day (hate to sound like an old codger) but if you messed up, you got your ass whipped and that was that. It taught us a healthy level of fear, a sense of responsibility and that there are negative consequences to bad behavior, which the kids don't have anymore. What exactly are we supposed to use as a bargaining tool for dealing with a nasty child's disposition? Those of us who have kids know, u can talk, plead, beg, cajole, scream, holler, yell, threaten, etc. and sometimes you just have to turn them over your knee and spank their behind. When they are small you can swat them with your hand, but as they get older and tougher sometimes u have to use a belt or peel a switch. That may make me archaic in my thinking to some of the posters but I guarantee you MY children use respect, they mind their manners, they do their chores, they listen to directions and I bet I won't have to hire a single one of them a lawyer to get their butts out of some stupid adolescent scrape.

verity 3 years, 2 months ago

If their injuries required hospital treatment I'm pretty sure this was abuse and was not teaching the children good behavior.

acg 3 years, 2 months ago

Well to be honest, I have no idea how badly this guy spanked his kids. He could've gone overboard for sure. I'm just saying that spanking your children with a belt does not make one an abuser. I think it's just as abusive to not discipline a child at all, to not teach them right from wrong. They need those skills when they get older and are trying to decide what path to take in life.

Deb Engstrom 3 years, 2 months ago

Spanking your children with a belt does indeed make you an abuser. Hitting your children with anything including your hand makes you an abuser.

Phone_Man 3 years, 2 months ago

Nope I will never agree with that statement and that mentality is part of the problem with kids today. I was always spanked with a belt and I have no emotional or physical scars to show. I can say I have not so much as seen the back of a police car or even been questioned by an office. With that said; I did spank my son once with a belt when I was angry and thank god I realized what I was doing and stopped. No bruising or emotional problems came from it but it did make me realize I had to punish in a controlled environment with controlled consequences. From then on WHEN I had to spank.; i sat down with my son and calmly told him why he was in trouble and how many swats he was going to get with my hand. he is 21 with no criminal record and is very respectful to his family and people in public. Much better than many of our friends kids who received the ever loving "Time Out Sweetie" method.

Phone_Man 3 years, 2 months ago

I do whoever agree the guy in the article was wrong; obviously!

rubberband 3 years, 2 months ago

"Nope I will never agree with that statement and that mentality is part of the problem with kids today."

First, let me say, there are MANY well behaved kids today. The "problem" with kids today is the same "problem" with kids from the beginning of time.

I'm sorry, but corporal punishment does not equal well-behaved kids and lack of corporal punishment does not equal badly-behaved kids. I can think of far too many examples (of both "belt-spanking" and not) within my own family, social and professional life that blow that theory completely out of the water. In fact, I would say the opposite is true.

Do you have any kind of literature/research to back your theory up? My personal opinion is that hitting children with any object as a form of discipline is a cop-out for parents lacking in effective parentling skills.

Phone_Man 3 years, 2 months ago

I would add lazy is sticking your kid in the other room in time out while you watch TV and he is playing because you are not paying attention. That is lazy.

When I use you I'm not saying you personally. it's too bad I have to throw in the disclaimer but some people take it personally.

LawrenceRez 3 years, 2 months ago

if this guy was punching them then that would be over the line... I know I got a belt, switch, and a ping pong paddle across the butt... I love the crap out of my parents... They didn't do it to be abusive they did it to get some sense in my head so I wouldn't be doing dumb arse things... I think that kids get away with too many things these days and people wonder why.. I understand the difference between abuse and discipline, but alot of people I don't think can... Whatever though..

LawrenceRez 3 years, 2 months ago

Don Whiteley 3 years, 2 months ago

I 100% agree with your post. The majority of the people in Lawrence feel that the appropriate way to respond when a child breaks parental rules is telling him, "Now Johnny, you know that was wrong. Please don't do it again"...as the kid stands there smirking at you, knowing full well you're not going to do anything, and fully prepared to go do it again because he knows you won't. Physical punishment shouldn't be the first line of discipline, but regardless what all the childless psychologists say, it should never be overlooked as part of the child's overall discipline program.

5thgeneration 3 years, 2 months ago

I caught the business end of a belt when I was a kid, and think that I'm better for it. My parents didn't hate me, in fact, they loved me enough to show me that there were dire consequences for some of my childhood actions. Don't lie, cheat, steal, kill, or be a jerk to other people or animals. Show your elders respect. A stinging swat with a hand or belt taught me many valuable lessons. Our parents and grandparents got "it" way worse than my generation did.

agrabass 3 years, 2 months ago

I kneeled on rice (only because we were out of bottle caps), said as many rosarys as needed to make up for the number of minutes I left church before I was told to go in peace. That is not abuse, that is the price I paid, the consequences I faced for breaking the rules. When in Rome...but Rome is different today.

TheyCallMeDrBob 3 years, 2 months ago

I'M 60 year,s old now..and I still like a good spanking now and then..

somedude20 3 years, 2 months ago

My folks got me pretty good with the belt and a big wooden spoon but what was worse than that were the countless hours of them playing Barbra Streisand and making me eat vegetables!

NTBC 3 years, 2 months ago

I will never understand how anyone can think spanking with a belt is okay (and even, in fact, good for you). How can you assume that is the reason why kids are well behaved or have never been in jail. I have never hit my children and they are well behaved, respectful and well mannered. I was spanked as a child with about anything my parents could get their hand on (belt, fly swatter, switch...). It was ALWAYS done out of anger and it taught me nothing other than to be afraid of them. I highly doubt the bruises and welts were good for me. I was a straight A student who was never in any kind of trouble but neither were my friends and their parents didn't hit them with a belt. It's laziness and it's absurd to me that people justify a grown person hitting a small child.

Phone_Man 3 years, 2 months ago

If you are talking to me bother to read what I said. I'm not saying it is ok to use a belt or anything other than your hand. And I should add it is not ok to beat with your hand. I would sit my son down explain what it was he did wrong and tell him you get one swat or two swats. What ever was justified for the offense. I didn't beat him and was never out of control. I'm for nothing other than that; a controlled punishment. If you were not talking to me I apologize; it just appeared by what you were saying it was directed at my statement above.