Archive for Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Man, 30, pleads guilty to child abuse charges; grandmother alerts police

October 18, 2011

A 30-year-old Lawrence man has pleaded guilty to two counts of child abuse for a July incident involving two boys who were 14 and 12 at the time.

Stanley E. Burleson entered the guilty pleas in front of District Judge Peggy Kittel on Monday afternoon, according to Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson’s office.

Burleson had faced a trial on four counts of child abuse and one count of making a criminal threat. In an August preliminary hearing, prosecutors accused Burleson of striking his girlfriend’s sons with a belt inside their home on two separate occasions and at one point standing over the older boy with his hand around the boy’s throat. Burleson had told a detective he didn’t believe he had abused the boys, who received treatment later at Lawrence Memorial Hospital for bruising and other injuries.

Burleson, who also had been living in the home, told police the boys had disobeyed his instructions about going to a swimming pool.

Police also testified the boys’ mother, Laura L. Sanders, 34, had struck the boys with a belt when she came home a few hours later. She faces two counts of child abuse and a preliminary hearing Nov. 8.

The boys’ grandmother had called police initially, and the boys were later taken into protective custody. Kittel is scheduled to sentence Burleson at 10 a.m. Nov. 18.

Comments

NTBC 2 years, 6 months ago

I will never understand how anyone can think spanking with a belt is okay (and even, in fact, good for you). How can you assume that is the reason why kids are well behaved or have never been in jail. I have never hit my children and they are well behaved, respectful and well mannered. I was spanked as a child with about anything my parents could get their hand on (belt, fly swatter, switch...). It was ALWAYS done out of anger and it taught me nothing other than to be afraid of them. I highly doubt the bruises and welts were good for me. I was a straight A student who was never in any kind of trouble but neither were my friends and their parents didn't hit them with a belt. It's laziness and it's absurd to me that people justify a grown person hitting a small child.

somedude20 2 years, 6 months ago

My folks got me pretty good with the belt and a big wooden spoon but what was worse than that were the countless hours of them playing Barbra Streisand and making me eat vegetables!

TheyCallMeDrBob 2 years, 6 months ago

I'M 60 year,s old now..and I still like a good spanking now and then..

agrabass 2 years, 6 months ago

I kneeled on rice (only because we were out of bottle caps), said as many rosarys as needed to make up for the number of minutes I left church before I was told to go in peace. That is not abuse, that is the price I paid, the consequences I faced for breaking the rules. When in Rome...but Rome is different today.

Benjamin Roberts 2 years, 6 months ago

Chapter 21: Crimes And Punishments PART II.--PROHIBITED CONDUCT Article 36: Crimes Affecting Family Relationships And Children Statute 21-3609: Abuse of a child. Abuse of a child is intentionally torturing, cruelly beating, shaking which results in great bodily harm or inflicting cruel and inhuman corporal punishment upon any child under the age of 18 years.

Abuse of a child is a severity level 5, person felony.

5thgeneration 2 years, 6 months ago

I caught the business end of a belt when I was a kid, and think that I'm better for it. My parents didn't hate me, in fact, they loved me enough to show me that there were dire consequences for some of my childhood actions. Don't lie, cheat, steal, kill, or be a jerk to other people or animals. Show your elders respect. A stinging swat with a hand or belt taught me many valuable lessons. Our parents and grandparents got "it" way worse than my generation did.

LawrenceRez 2 years, 6 months ago

if this guy was punching them then that would be over the line... I know I got a belt, switch, and a ping pong paddle across the butt... I love the crap out of my parents... They didn't do it to be abusive they did it to get some sense in my head so I wouldn't be doing dumb arse things... I think that kids get away with too many things these days and people wonder why.. I understand the difference between abuse and discipline, but alot of people I don't think can... Whatever though..

LawrenceRez 2 years, 6 months ago

acg 2 years, 6 months ago

Well to be honest, I have no idea how badly this guy spanked his kids. He could've gone overboard for sure. I'm just saying that spanking your children with a belt does not make one an abuser. I think it's just as abusive to not discipline a child at all, to not teach them right from wrong. They need those skills when they get older and are trying to decide what path to take in life.

acg 2 years, 6 months ago

This prob won't be a very popular post but here goes: I think putting his hands around the boy's throat was over the line, sure, but spanking them with a belt is not going to hurt those kids. Spare the rod and all of that jazz. The reason that so many children are mouthy, rude, lazy, hateful, spoiled and nasty these days is there is no discipline anymore. None at home, none at school and none in the court system. In my day (hate to sound like an old codger) but if you messed up, you got your ass whipped and that was that. It taught us a healthy level of fear, a sense of responsibility and that there are negative consequences to bad behavior, which the kids don't have anymore. What exactly are we supposed to use as a bargaining tool for dealing with a nasty child's disposition? Those of us who have kids know, u can talk, plead, beg, cajole, scream, holler, yell, threaten, etc. and sometimes you just have to turn them over your knee and spank their behind. When they are small you can swat them with your hand, but as they get older and tougher sometimes u have to use a belt or peel a switch. That may make me archaic in my thinking to some of the posters but I guarantee you MY children use respect, they mind their manners, they do their chores, they listen to directions and I bet I won't have to hire a single one of them a lawyer to get their butts out of some stupid adolescent scrape.

akt2 2 years, 6 months ago

The dysfunctional losers only like to beat on kids. Grandma took care of it.

felixiscariot 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm 25. I would be gald to invite these two over to try to hit me. Seriously. More than glad.