Advertisement

Archive for Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Overheated refrigerator likely cause of weekend fire at KU’s Malott Hall

November 29, 2011

Advertisement

Kansas University officials said Tuesday that an overheated refrigerator likely caused a Saturday morning fire that damaged a medicinal chemistry lab at Malott Hall on campus.

“The point of origin for the fire appeared to be the condenser and condensation tray on the back of the refrigerator, according to investigators from Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical and the KU Public Safety Office,” KU spokesman Jack Martin said in a statement. “No criminal activity is suspected.”

No one was injured, and damage was mostly confined to the lab, although water caused some damage to labs two floors below. Malott Hall was open for classes Monday, and KU officials have not yet determined a cost estimate for the damage, Martin said.

Comments

KU_cynic 2 years, 4 months ago

Was this a fridge for staff/faculty food, or a fridge for lab materials?

0

Ian Brown 2 years, 4 months ago

An overheated refrigerator, huh? Irony.

0

Commenting has been disabled for this item.