Fire investigators have determined a May 6 fire at a North Lawrence bar was an accident.
Fire marshal James King, a Lawrence Douglas County Fire and Medical division chief, said Monday the fire in a utility closet at the former Gaslight Tavern, 317 N. Second St., was caused by discarded smoking materials.
It caused an estimated $50,000 in damages— mostly in smoke damage — to the business. When fire crews arrived about 6 p.m. May 6, the building was unoccupied.
The bar is near the Kansas River bridge that leads to downtown Lawrence, just south of Johnny’s Tavern.