Advertisement

Archive for Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Lawrence man enters no-contest plea to aggravated battery charges from September robbery

May 10, 2011

Advertisement

A 20-year-old Lawrence man entered a no-contest plea to two aggravated battery charges Tuesday related to a September robbery in which two residents were injured.

A defense attorney for Douglas Bittinger said Tuesday the two sides plan to ask District Judge Peggy Kittel to sentence Bittinger to serve three years and two months in prison.

Assistant District Attorney Mark Simpson Tuesday said prosecutors had evidence that Bittinger entered the residence Sept. 6 at The Exchange, 3100 Ousdahl Road and knocked unconscious one man, who needed staples in his head, and punched another man in the face and broke a plate over his head.

Two co-defendants, Christopher Self, 20, and Joshua Self, 18, were sentenced earlier this year to serve about three years each in prison. Prosecutors accused Christopher Self of driving the co-defendants to the scene, and Joshua Self was accused of planning the robbery because they believed the residents had high-grade marijuana that could be stolen. Prosecutors also said the defendants were armed with a BB gun.

Prosecutors dropped remaining charges against Bittinger Tuesday in exchange for the plea, and defense attorney Sarah Swain said the two sides plan to ask Kittel at the June 6 sentencing to let him serve his two sentences concurrently for a total 38 months in prison.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.