Archive for Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Two people injured, including one firefighter, in fire on Cynthia Street in west Lawrence

A Lawrence Douglas County Fire & Medical firefighter is led away from the scene of a house fire in west Lawrence on Tuesday, July 5, 2011. Two people were taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital with injuries, including one firefighter who suffered from heat exposure. There was no word immediately available as to the cause of the fire or the value of the damage.

July 5, 2011, 3:34 p.m. Updated July 5, 2011, 9:45 p.m.

Firefighter battle flames, heat in extinguishing fire on Cynthia Street

Rachel Purvis talks about a fire at her neighbors' home at 1129 Cynthia. One of the homeowners and a firefighter suffered minor injuries during the fire, which happened around 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 5, 2011. Enlarge video

Fire on Cynthia Street

Mark Bradford, chief of Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical, assesses the situation soon after firefighters put out a fire Tuesday in the 1100 block of Cynthia Street, which is east of "Dad" Perry Park in western Lawrence. Enlarge video

A Lawrence Douglas County Fire & Medical firefighter looks through a damaged window inside a single family home that caught fire about 3:30 p.m. on July 5, 2011. One of the homeowners suffered minor injuries and was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital for observation.

1129 Cynthia Street

A fire in a west Lawrence home caused “significant” damage and sent two people to Lawrence Memorial Hospital with minor injuries, Lawrence Fire Chief Mark Bradford said.

The fire at the home of Ted and Ola Faucher was reported about 3:25 p.m. A second alarm, or a request for additional manpower and units, was called. Firefighters had the blaze under control within 15 minutes, Bradford said.

Ted Faucher was treated at the scene for his injuries and then taken to LMH for observation, where he was doing fine, reported Jeremy DeBoard, his son-in-law.

“The fact that he got (himself) out of the house is a great thing,” DeBoard said.

Ola Faucher, the longtime director of human resources at Kansas University who ran for Lawrence school board this past spring, was not home at the time.

A Lawrence firefighter also was being treated for heat exposure, Bradford said. The firefighter was one of the first on the scene battling the blaze.

Outside the home, the family’s parakeet was dead in its cage, sitting beside the house and outside the fire line set up by Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical. It was unclear whether the cage had been taken out by Ted Faucher or firefighters.

Lawrence Fire Marshal James King said that when firefighters arrived, heavy smoke and flames were visible from the upper level and attic of the home, in the 1100 block of Cynthia Street.

Douglas County Fire Medical Division Chief Doug Green said Tuesday evening investigators were still working to determine the cause and estimated amount of damage. Green said those details would likely not be available until Wednesday. Bradford described damage to upper-level bedrooms as “significant.”

Check back to LJWorld.com for updates.

A previous version of this story misidentified Jeremy DeBoard's first name.

Comments

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 9 months ago

I feel bad for the bird and it's owner :( This is tragic.

Jean Robart 3 years, 9 months ago

I know the extended family, and am happy to hear that there were apparently no serious injuries. I regret the loss of their parakeet--such happy little creatures.

clovis_sangrail 3 years, 9 months ago

Would that yellow, feathery looking thing at the bottom of the cage happen to be the bird in question?

Pretty hard-core and gritty photojournalism for the LJW.

At least the owners will have a picture of the little guy to remember him by.

Ewok79 3 years, 9 months ago

I don't think that's how they wanna rembember him. Kinda f*#% up of them to post that pitcture.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 9 months ago

C'mon guys, losing a pet is hard. Stop it :( I really feel for these people. They lost a little guy they loved and their home was damaged. If this happened to my cat I would be inconsolable. Have a heart.

KansasPerson 3 years, 9 months ago

What cait said. Just because it's not a cat or dog....

Jean Robart 3 years, 9 months ago

Too bad they got the son in law's name wrong on the latest update. It's Jeremy, not Ted.

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 9 months ago

Sorry about that. I don't know how that got changed from when we first wrote it, but I've fixed it and added a correction. Thanks.

realityplease 3 years, 9 months ago

Jonathan, Is there anyway to get the picture of the dead pet removed from online? It is just not appropriate. Thank you.

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 9 months ago

We believe strongly in not unpublishing work that we've published. It's sort of like trying to unring a bell. But we've been monitoring the feedback we've received and will take that into consideration as we make future decisions.

clovis_sangrail 3 years, 9 months ago

Did you people actually not see the bird in the picture?

Or did you see it and decide to publish it anyway?

Perhaps if a copy editor had seen this before it got slapped out on the web.

Jean Robart 3 years, 9 months ago

I agree reality. that's like rubbing salt in an open wound

brother_cumulus 3 years, 9 months ago

Great journalism on that parakeet angle/photo you shameless pricks

Adrienne Sanders 3 years, 9 months ago

Really, LJworld, a picture of the dead parakeet? Tasteless and heartless.

somedude20 3 years, 9 months ago

I thought the dead bird pic was an ad for Buffalo Wild Wings. Got sauce?

TheTalker 3 years, 9 months ago

Yeah Stoltzy, we need a "like" button and a "don't like" button.

4chewnut 3 years, 9 months ago

From the National Press Photographers Association code of ethics: Treat all subjects with respect and dignity. Give special consideration to vulnerable subjects and compassion to victims of crime or tragedy. Intrude on private moments of grief only when the public has an overriding and justifiable need to see. Kealing and LJW: I think you dropped the ball on this. The photo was and still is tasteless. I disagree that it is like unringing a bell. By keeping the photo up you are continuing to ring the bell.

saoirseglen 3 years, 9 months ago

This fire happened to family friends. They are recovering from their tragedy and property loss.

That some of you post such wonderfully academic and intellectually astute comments about the death of one of their pets tells me that you are cruel, unfeeling, reprobates who deserve to have your callousness returned to you down the road. I sincerely hope others treat you the same way you are treating my friends.

As for the Lawrence Journal World editor, speaking as a former newspaper reporter, your editorial choice to display the photo of someone's dead pet really speaks volumes about what you think about others, their pain, their loss and the need to have something shocking and perverse to drive website traffic and newspaper purchases. Bravo and well done mate. I am sure your high journalistic ethics fit right in with those of Rupert Murdoch where some of his journalists working at his News of the World paper illegally hacked into the voice mails of murder and terror victims. I mean, anything for a story right?

I suppose I should be looking out for similarly newsworthy events when a family member or relative of a Lawrence Journal World employee has a tragic event happen. I need to get some photos of their grief and loss so I can publish them all over the place and make certain people can make snarky remarks about the subject matter too. I mean, the public has a right to know about personal details such as that, right? Then I could also monitor the feedback and take that into consideration for future journalistic decisions of my own.

Of course, I will also make certain that if something tragic happens to my family I will keep an eye out for your fine, upstanding photographers. I want to ask them if they know how far their digital camera can be inserted into their body cavity through various orifices. That should make for some very award winning journalistic reporting right there, don't you think?

For those who have expressed your sincere condolences and concerns, they welcome them. Thank you for your thoughtfulness. It somewhat balances out the tripe of the uncouth brigands and trolls.

KansasPerson 3 years, 9 months ago

saoirseglen, please make sure that your friends know that the majority of the comments, both on this article and on the actual picture itself, are overwhelmingly against the decision to publish the picture. The few that are flippant (three on this page and zero on the other, if I remember correctly) seem more numerous than they are, because they are so very noticeable. Please convey my sympathies to your family. I knew Ms. Faucher when I worked at KU..... and I once had a bird who died suddenly. (Child family member cried for two hours that night until eventually falling asleep.) People are creeps sometimes, but even commenters have hearts and those who made callous comments probably did so off-handedly and with no malice intended. At least I hope so.

rcr 3 years, 9 months ago

"We believe strongly in not unpublishing work that we've published."

So what you are saying is that you are all to conceded to admit you screwed up by posting this picture in the first place, and that you don't believe in undoing your wrongs? You have a chance to fix this but refuse to do so. What dies that saybabout the intigrity of the LJW and it's employees?

Reuben Turner 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm glad no one was injured seriously. The bird is replaceable.

clovis_sangrail 3 years, 9 months ago

I eat meat. Lots of it. Every day I pick an imaginary sky god and thank him or her for giving us the little calves that provide us with our tasty and tender veal saltimbocca.

But this has nothing to do with eating meat.

It has everything, however, to do with consideration.

If you had a pet calf, I would not take a picture of it being slaughtered and post that picture where you would be sure to see it.

And LJW should not have posted that picture of the dead bird. I think they know they should not have, but no one will own up to it being a mistake or pull the picture.

And I think that is the message most posters here are trying to convey, even those who have resorted to flippancy and sarcasm.