Archive for Monday, January 24, 2011

Self: Thomas Robinson will not make trip to Colorado with team

Self expands on Robinson’s situation during Big 12 teleconference

Kansas forward Thomas Robinson pulls back for a dunk during warmups prior to tipoff against Texas on Saturday, Jan. 22, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse. Robinson is dealing with the loss of his mother, Lisa, who died Friday according to Kansas University officials.

January 24, 2011, 9:43 a.m. Updated January 24, 2011, 10:32 a.m.

Kansas coach Bill Self said Monday morning that sophomore forward Thomas Robinson contacted him Monday and has now decided he will return to Washington, D.C. and will not attend Tuesday's KU-Colorado game in Boulder, Colo.

"He wants to go home to be with his sister," Self told the Journal-World Monday morning. "Yesterday he thought it would be best for him to stay and go with us, but he really feels he needs to be with his sister. He'll go back (to Washington, D.C.) today. The bottom line is Thomas needs to do what he needs to do, and we're all here to support him."

Thomas' mother, Lisa, died of an apparent heart attack on Friday.

Self expanded on the situation on Monday’s Big 12 teleconference.

“He initially thought, ‘I’ll stay with the team.’ He talked to his sister. She wants him home. She needs him home. He’ll go home today,” Self said.

“Depending on when the services are, more than likely Thursday or Friday, we will all attend that, whenever that is,” he added of the team attending Lisa’s funeral.

“He’s been a rock. He’s been a rock for all of us. It’s been a pretty emotional time. He’s done remarkably well considering everything that’s going on in terms of the responsibility he’s about to take on. But certainly it’s a pretty trying time. It puts things in perspective. The world doesn’t stop moving. We have to make the most of all situations. Certainly Thomas needs to be with his sister right now. We all feel that way," Self added.

Comments

countrygirl 3 years, 11 months ago

I don't even know the kid and I wish I could give him a hug. May God grant you strength Thomas.

Bill Lee 3 years, 11 months ago

Best of luck in the future, Thomas. You've had more than your share of pain recently. Hug your sister for us.

jonas_opines 3 years, 11 months ago

Reminds me of Darnell Jackson, when tragedy came in floods. Sucks.

flamingoroad 3 years, 11 months ago

Hugs, thoughts and prayers are with you and your sister as you go through this difficult time.

StirrrThePot 3 years, 11 months ago

My heart just breaks for him and his sister. My best wishes for easy and safe travels go with him, and heartfelt condolences to him and his sister. How I wish things could be different for them both. God be with them.

StirrrThePot 3 years, 11 months ago

Ignorant_Yokel 3 years, 11 months ago

The fact that his 9-year-old sister is going through all this makes it all the worse. It's so incredibly sad.

Where the heck does she go from here?

northtowngrl 3 years, 11 months ago

Apparently he will now move off campus and she will stay with him as her guardian. I do feel so badly for them both it is just heartbreaking! But you gotta applaud him for stepping up and being a man and taking care of her. Its going to be a hard job and he will need tremendous support from Jayhawk Nation!

rgh 3 years, 11 months ago

This is where the NCAA needs to give a kid a break. KU and public are not allowed to foot the bill for any aide to him or it's a violation. Hopefully the family had some money somewhere to pay for a proper burial and for him and his sister to support themselves. May God bless him, his sister, family members, and his extended family at KU who are grieving along with him.

huskerpower 3 years, 11 months ago

Can his scholarship not provide him with housing outside of the towers?

What about the married student housing that is more like an apartment? I would think his scholarship could provide this as it is still University housing.

Mary Darst 3 years, 11 months ago

I will be interested to know where his sister end up. I do so much want him to be able to continue and succeed at KU. I would hope someone is helping him through this awful situation. It just makes everyone sad.

d_prowess 3 years, 11 months ago

His sister has a father in the picture from what I hear (they have separate fathers) so hopefully she will have someone else in her life besides just Thomas.

xclusive85 3 years, 11 months ago

For everyone here that wants to know, the KU compliance office is checking with the NCAA if there is a way to set up a fund for Thomas's sister. That way he has the means to take care of her. I am waiting word from the compliance office and the NCAA so that this can be done within NCAA regulations. The compliance office has asked that noone give Thomas or his family any financial assistance at this time. Hopefully we will hear back by the end of the day tomorrow. I will try to keep everyone updated.

northtowngrl 3 years, 11 months ago

Please do keep us all posted! There are many of us who would dearly love to help this young man and his sister out in anyway we have available. Your assistance is much appreciated!

xclusive85 3 years, 11 months ago

Hey, I feel the same way. I do not work for the office or anything. I just requested that they look into setting up a fund for Thomas so that he can take care of his sister within the NCAA regulations. We all want to support Thomas and his sister through this time in their lives. They are part of our Jayhawk family.

bretherite 3 years, 11 months ago

CJ online is reporting that NCAA is allowing donations for the family. They also have other information that good old LJ world isn't up to date on concerning this matter.

xclusive85 3 years, 11 months ago

I saw where they granted KU permission to help with funeral costs. Do you have a link to where it says donations can be made?

kateku 3 years, 11 months ago

I wish the DC Jayhawks could meet him at the airport and let him know we are behind him. Prayers for the Robinson family.