Archive for Friday, January 7, 2011

Lawrence man pleads guilty to rape, aggravated criminal sodomy and aggravated indecent liberties with a child

Donald Brown entered a guilty plea Friday to the eight charges he faced. He also admitted to the judge he sexually abused two girls in his Lawrence apartment.

January 7, 2011, 10:34 a.m. Updated January 7, 2011, 11:33 a.m.

A 33-year-old Lawrence man has pleaded guilty to eight charges and admitted he sexually abused two girls at his northern Lawrence home over a two-year period.

“I did this for my own sexual gratification, and I’m truly sorry,” Donald L. Brown said in court Friday morning when he entered the pleas.

Brown faced a Jan. 24 trial in the case on eight counts. He pleaded guilty to three counts of rape, three counts of aggravated criminal sodomy and two counts of aggravated indecent liberties with a child.

District Judge Peggy Kittel said each count carries a penalty of 25 years to life in prison.

There was no plea agreement in the case with prosecutor Amy McGowan, a chief assistant district attorney, Clarke said.

Kittel last month sentenced Brown’s wife, Natasha M. Brown, 34, to serve 28 months in prison after a jury in October convicted her of two counts of aggravated child endangerment and one count of lewd and lascivious behavior. The girls are now 9 and 11 years old.

Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson said prosecutors were happy with the pleas and the fact the girls would not have to testify again.

“We would not have been able to reach this outcome without the solid investigative work of law enforcement and the bravery of the victims to confront their abuser,” Branson said.

The girls’ family from Topeka met the Browns through Heritage Baptist Church, which is northwest of Lawrence. Prosecutors have said that in May the girls talked to their parents, accusing Donald Brown of having sex with them. Lawrence police later arrested the Browns.

The girls and their siblings would stay with the Browns in Lawrence on weekends or during the week in between school and church events.

During Natasha Brown’s trial, both girls testified to several instances when Donald Brown had sex with them and molested them from June 2008 to May 2010. Prosecutors also said Natasha Brown told police she thought her husband was sexually “grooming” the girls.

Kittel gave Natasha Brown a harsher sentence — normally the convictions warranted probation due to her lack of criminal history — because she said Brown did nothing to try to stop the abuse even though the girls’ parents entrusted them to the Browns.

Kittel is scheduled to sentence Donald Brown March 4.

Comments

Gary Anderson 3 years, 11 months ago

28 months is a harsher sentence? Really? Were it in my power, this would be a life sentence...it sure is for the victims.

Paula Kissinger 3 years, 11 months ago

That's the wife's sentence...he is to be sentenced March 4.

Raiden 3 years, 11 months ago

not harsh enough for knowing of his travesty to those girls and doing NOTHING to stop it. They were ENTRUSTED to her hence she was responsible for their safety...she is as guilty as he is.

CloveK 3 years, 11 months ago

True, but it is to the full extent of the law

Paula Kissinger 3 years, 11 months ago

That's the wife's sentence...he is to be sentenced March 4.

Raiden 3 years, 11 months ago

true enough, but it's irrelevant really as he is the adult and therefore expected to behave in a responsible manner...... instead his sick and reckless actions will have lifelong effects on these girls....not only did he and his wife rob them of their childhoods, they severely damaged their capacity for trust not to mention deep psychic scars that will haunt them for life and manifest in ways that will impinge on their growth and development as human beings. His future suffering in prison as a pedophile will never equal the effects his actions had on these girls.

George Diepenbrock 3 years, 11 months ago

We have updated the story. The girls are now 9 and 11.

George Diepenbrock Staff Writer Lawrence Journal-World 645 New Hampshire St. Lawrence, KS 66044 (785) 832-7144 gdiepenbrock@ljworld.com

nobody1793 3 years, 11 months ago

Bill Cushing 3 years, 11 months ago

I am not sure there is a proper sentence for people that can do such things repeatedly. Getting drunk or high and doing it one time is sick but to plot and calculate under the name of Church is at a different level. Any sentence of these kind of folks should include them getting cut so there is no chance of repeat offense.

pizzapete 3 years, 11 months ago

drunk or high, there is no excuse for this type of behavior. Prime death penalty material I think.

PrettyTony 3 years, 11 months ago

Jimo 3 years, 11 months ago

"His attorney, Michael Clarke, said Brown decided to plead guilty several weeks ago, but he was fasting for nutritional reasons at the time. So Clarke asked him to wait closer to the trial to decide."

Are these facts relevant to some point? So what?

Was it a straight fast or some sort of cleansing diet? Has Brown's nutritional state improved? Would Brown recommend this for others? What was Clarke's reaction to this news when he first heard it from Brown? Did Brown make his decision at the hearing or the day before? There are so many other irrelevant facts missing from this story.

BruceWayne 3 years, 11 months ago

Missingit 3 years, 11 months ago

His sentence should include a cell with a large male who has not seen a woman in years.

papillon 3 years, 11 months ago

Don't worry. He will be treated harshly and in a way that you don't really want to know the full details of. Child molesters are always abused in prison, no matter the measures taken to protect them. The hierarchy in prison is very, very tough and he'll stand no chance. He has no idea what's coming.

Kontum1972 3 years, 11 months ago

thats standard issue @ the institutions

BigPrune 3 years, 11 months ago

Unfortunately, I guess at the big house these days the other prisoners don't care anymore what their fellow cell mates did to get them in prison, so it isn't a guarantee that he's going to get it in the end.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 11 months ago

This guy is only sorry because he was caught. I hope he rots in prison.

earthus 3 years, 11 months ago

Sexual assault and rape are deplorable actions. The prison rape "jokes" are inappropriate and reflect the idea that there are times/circumstances when rape is okay. It is never ok.

jjaybean63 3 years, 11 months ago

You may be right but i wouldn't lose sleep over it if it happen to this guy.

Jimo 3 years, 11 months ago

These stories are so sad.

One recent suicide of an internet blogger is stirring up some comment. His note here: http://documents.from.bz/note.txt

One key section: I'm just a broken, miserable shell of a human being. Being molested has defined me as a person and shaped me as a human being and it has made me the monster I am and there's nothing I can do to escape it. I don't know any other existence. I don't know what life feels like where I'm apart from any of this. I actively despise the person I am. I just feel fundamentally broken, almost non-human. I feel like an animal that woke up one day in a human body, trying to make sense of a foreign world, living among creatures it doesn't understand and can't connect with.

I have accepted that the darkness will never allow me to be in a relationship. I will never go to sleep with someone in my arms, feeling the comfort of their hands around me. I will never know what uncontimated [uncontaminated?] intimacy is like. I will never have an exclusive bond with someone, someone who can be the recipient of all the love I have to give. I will never have children, and I wanted to be a father so badly. I think I would have made a good dad. And even if I had fought through the darkness and married and had children all [the] while being unable to feel intimacy, I could have never done that if suicide were a possibility. I did try to minimize pain, although I know that this decision will hurt many of you. If this hurts you, I hope that you can at least forget about me quickly.

wmathews 3 years, 11 months ago

I removed it because it had a modified swear word in it. We don't allow the real version or a slightly modified version with asterisks, one letter out of place, etc. Feel free to re-post without the word!

Whitney Mathews Assistant Community Editor for Online

Heather Perry 3 years, 11 months ago

i went to school with this guy and always had a feeling he was a creep Im glad he's caught and thinks he deserves life sentence or death. Those 2 little girls have a life sentence of dealing with whats happened to them. There should be a loophole to the cruel and unusual punishment, that child predators should receive all the cruel and unusual punishment law officials can dish out and hell let the inmates in on it too :)

DRsmith 3 years, 11 months ago

This can't be...A Lawrence man committing a crime against Topekans? Hope he rots in prison.

Ray_Finkle 3 years, 11 months ago

Wow, and he doesn't even look like a child molester!!

Al Deathe 3 years, 11 months ago

What does a child molester look like, molesters are anybody and everybody. That mentality are why molesters find ways to do what they do. When you have that feeling something is not right about someone trust that feeling and protect your children. Teach your children what is appropriate and what is not then let them know it always OK to talk to you about ANYTHING they feel uncomfortable with that happens to them.

Ray_Finkle 3 years, 11 months ago

Maybe I should have added: "Warning, this comment is dripping with sarcasm."

Al Deathe 3 years, 11 months ago

No it sounded pretty common to a lot of the statement s in this blog.

b22 3 years, 11 months ago

I agree completely, I think we as a society take far to lax of a view on these people. We give harsher punishment for far less damaging acts. If death was the penalty for this action, many people would think twice before doing it. These people are the worst criminals that we have, lets treat them as such!

mr_right_wing 3 years, 11 months ago

I hate to make it sound like I'm saying ANYTHING good about the guy; but I am grateful we (taxpayers) aren't stuck paying for a full trial, more importantly than that, this whole family doesn't have to re-live it again.

I'm also very pleasantly surprised there will be no plea bargain.

hawksfanatic 3 years, 11 months ago

Those of you who are calling for the death penalty are dead wrong. As a survivor of childhood sexual abuse, I can attest to its horrible damage and terrible consequences. What, however, would have been served by executing a living relative in my family; what price to tear the family fabric apart? For years I struggled with this issue, but finally was able pull myself from my dark, encasing prison. I did this through Survivors of Incest Anonymous and psychotherapy. I forgave my relative and he died without an apology or an admission. I believe he paid, in his own way, through his unexpressed suffering and remorse. It hounded him to his grave - and perhaps beyond.

Lenette Hamm 3 years, 11 months ago

Swift and immediate justice is appropriate - but jail time isn't adequate in this kind of case.

yankeevet 3 years, 11 months ago

A rope; missouri mule; and a kansas oak tree; frontier justice for this rotton bastard.....

independent_rebel 3 years, 11 months ago

I can't post what I would do to this piece of crap, but the end result would be that after we tested various medical treatments on him (and spare the rats and monkeys) tthere would be pieces of this slime ball spread...nevermind.

mr_right_wing 3 years, 11 months ago

Perhaps if this was to qualify as a 'hate crime' the penalty could be more severe.

This, however does not meet those qualifications.

Even with 'good behavior' this person will spend the majority of what is left in his life in corrections.

LJD94 3 years, 3 months ago

To none2: The death penalty can be applied for more than just three crimes. Your saying one punishment goes with one crime, and no more. The problem with that is there aren't enough punishments to go around. Murder gets death, molestation gets 25-life, all the way down to drugs getting a slap on the hand. And I dont think victims of rape/dismemberment/murder would mind to much if a simple child molester gets the death penalty. In fact, I think they'd be happy with that.